android
Old 08-01-2008, 10:33 AM

Default Low Volume on my Creative Zen

hello,

Today i found out that my creative zen 8 GB's volume is very low even at 25, much much lower than yesterday. not an earphone issue since i tested the earphone on my PC and it was ok. the firmware is the latest version(US), the smart volume is off, volume reduction off, Bass boost - On, Equaliser is Acoustic, Battery Power is 75% and i tried with different songs and videos. i bought it just two months back. any idea people?

thanks,
rain

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-04-2008, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raingod2k6 View Post
hello,

Today i found out that my creative zen 8 GB's volume is very low even at 25, much much lower than yesterday. not an earphone issue since i tested the earphone on my PC and it was ok. the firmware is the latest version(US), the smart volume is off, volume reduction off, Bass boost - On, Equaliser is Acoustic, Battery Power is 75% and i tried with different songs and videos. i bought it just two months back. any idea people?

thanks,
rain
Have you tried reseting the device? I would also give it a go with the EQ set to off as well and see what you get. While you may have tested the earphones out with your PC, I would test another set with the player just to be sure.

Old 08-05-2008, 03:06 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I noticed in another thread you mentioned you have the Creative EP-630's. I also have them and having Bass Boost on when using them is horrible to me. I would also try it with Bass Boost set to off.

I also noticed from the other thread you had the EU firmware loaded at one point. Did you make sure to boot the Zen into Recovery Mode and select Reload Firmware first (removes currently installed firmware) before installing the latest US firmware version? If not, you could still be having volume restriction issues let over from the EU firmware.

Maybe there is a headphone jack issue going on. Have you contacted Creative to see if they may be able to take a look or replace it? If it is as noticeable as you say, I wouldn't be satisfied with keeping that particular Zen.

Zen FAQ

Last edited by BobbyRS; 08-06-2008 at 01:56 PM.

Old 08-06-2008, 01:14 PM

thanks for the responses.

@ Lifter -> tried EQ - off, also tried resetting, still the volume is low.

@ BobbyRs -> tried with Bass Boost off - the difference is not much to talk about, i loaded the US firmware after booting into recovery mode and reloading firmware. also it worked ok for a while after loading the US firmware, i noticed the difference two days before my first post. my bro bought this for me from another country and i am in India atm. i'll try and locate some Creative service center here.

The only thing left to do is check with a different set of high quality earphones. will do that and post the result.

Old 08-06-2008, 01:58 PM
Ultra Senior Member

No problem. Thanks for the update. I'm curious to hear what their response will be from the repair center. Let us know how it goes....

Zen FAQ

Old 08-14-2008, 11:36 AM

UPDATE UPDATE
----------------

well today my friend brought his 'samsung yepp' with him and i just tried the headphones that came with it on my Zen and the sound quality and the volume were great and that just means that the problem lies with the EP630s. the difference in quality and volume was massive. i don't know how the new EP630s could get damaged! my bro bought them from another country and getting them replaced is out of question. anyway that i can get them repaired? i think they fell down just once, could that be the reason for the damage? at the moment the treble is just too low.

Old 08-14-2008, 02:28 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Are you sure they were damaged (not saying a good drop couldn't hurt them)? Perhaps you just didn't have a good seal with them in your ears. I have very small ear canals and had to also purchase the UE tips which have smaller tips which made a huge difference for me. Perhaps you also favor the highs more so then the bassy lows that the EP-630's are really good with. Although I thought the EP-630's sound all around better then the stock ear-buds.

Zen FAQ

Old 08-14-2008, 08:59 PM

can you explain what are UE tips and where to get them? and what is the price?

Old 08-14-2008, 09:11 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Ultimate Ears Universal Fit Kit. I got mine from here for $9.00. I use the smallest tips and they work great.

Zen FAQ

Old 08-15-2008, 01:57 AM

thanks for the info. let me check if they are available here. will update.

Old 08-15-2008, 07:46 AM
Ultra Senior Member

No problem. They are all over EBay as well.

Zen FAQ

Old 08-15-2008, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
Ultimate Ears Universal Fit Kit. I got mine from here for $9.00. I use the smallest tips and they work great.
I have the earphones that came with the Zen and they keep falling out because my ear canals are very small. This is exactly what I was looking for. I just ordered them. Your help and this forum has been invaluable. Thank you.

Old 08-15-2008, 03:41 PM

You may want to try out this program called MP3Gain. For me this is one of the best (and free by the way) programs ever made and to boot it allows you to reverse whatever changes you made.

It basicaly allows tou to set a "volume" level for all songs selected (I have mine set to 94db). This program and MP3Tag should be part of everyone's music toolbox.

Here's the url: http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/

Hope you like it and it works out for you...

Old 08-15-2008, 10:00 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane View Post
I have the earphones that came with the Zen and they keep falling out because my ear canals are very small. This is exactly what I was looking for. I just ordered them. Your help and this forum has been invaluable. Thank you.
No problem, Diane. You're quite welcome. The smallest tips should help greatly. Thank you for the complement.

Zen FAQ

Old 08-15-2008, 10:03 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzm003x View Post
You may want to try out this program called MP3Gain. For me this is one of the best (and free by the way) programs ever made and to boot it allows you to reverse whatever changes you made.

It basicaly allows tou to set a "volume" level for all songs selected (I have mine set to 94db). This program and MP3Tag should be part of everyone's music toolbox.

Here's the url: http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/

Hope you like it and it works out for you...
Yes, MP3Gain is a great program! I use it with every one of my audio files.

Zen FAQ

Old 08-16-2008, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
Yes, MP3Gain is a great program! I use it with every one of my audio files.
not only the volume but the bass, treble also very low.

Old 08-16-2008, 11:25 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raingod2k6 View Post
not only the volume but the bass, treble also very low.
Further making me think a good seal may be the issue.

Zen FAQ

Old 08-16-2008, 11:48 AM

thanks a lot , i will check out some shops here and give you the updates.

Old 08-16-2008, 11:49 AM

and yes this forum has been tremendous. kudos to the forum owner(s) and mods/admins.

Old 08-16-2008, 11:55 AM
Ultra Senior Member

No problem. Good luck and let us know...

Quote:
and yes this forum has been tremendous. kudos to the forum owner(s) and mods/admins.
Thank you for the complement!

Zen FAQ