android
Old 08-02-2008, 03:46 PM

Default firmware weenies must die

As an owner and every day user of the Pilot, I'd be interested in new firmware. It's pretty low on my priority list however. The Pilot is the most feature complete, over achieving dap on the market. Period. It's sound quality is as good as it gets. It's UI is close to perfect. It's been 100% reliable with every day use for over a year. If firmware is such an over riding concern, go with a dap that can run Rockbox. Rant over.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-02-2008, 04:51 PM

It works, works well and I've never had any problems. Also I'm very happy with the features it as just as they are...with one small exception. In other words, it's damn close to perfect (as far as the firmware goes), so why mess with it?

Old 08-03-2008, 12:24 PM

I agree that the Pilot is a great mp3 player with great features and very few problems or glitches (at least on mine), but it's not so much the fact that it needs firmware so much as we want to know that Insignia is actually keeping track of their product. Honestly, i'd be happy if they had released one firmware that fixed a minor glitch or added one more background color, simply because I would know that Insignia is doing something for the Pilot. But the lack of firmware or any updates with the Pilot is disheartening, because it seems like Insignia isn't responding to customer feedback ( The Official Insignia Pilot Feature Request List maybe?)

Last edited by SaruNinja; 08-03-2008 at 12:33 PM.

Old 08-03-2008, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaruNinja View Post
I agree that the Pilot is a great mp3 player with great features and very few problems or glitches (at least on mine), but it's not so much the fact that it needs firmware so much as we want to know that Insignia is actually keeping track of their product. Honestly, i'd be happy if they had released one firmware that fixed a minor glitch or added one more background color, simply because I would know that Insignia is doing something for the Pilot. But the lack of firmware or any updates with the Pilot is disheartening, because it seems like Insignia isn't responding to customer feedback ( The Official Insignia Pilot Feature Request List maybe?)
I'm sure as soon as something better comes along they'll update.

The Insignia team was really on the ball with the NS-DV line..so much so that I think the result of the feedback they got about it lead to the Pilot. They do and did listen to their customers...more than any other electronic company out there I'm sure.

I don't mean to come off as such a fanboy, but after going though several players I like the Pilot the best. Hell I'm even scoring a Sport just to use as a back up. Yea, I'm really that impressed.

Old 08-04-2008, 05:35 PM

Although I certainly won't stop using my device because of a few bugs, it would be nice if they could at least do a maintenance release to fix the more annoying ones such as the scanning of external memory etc. The minor glitches and bugs I can live with and work around them, but the media library scan really does impact my use when using it in the car as I have to wait until it's ready to connect. 28 seconds doesn't sound long until you are in a hurry!

Old 08-04-2008, 11:18 PM

Sandisk has taken that lead position from Insignia... they have done a number of updates on the Sansa Clip and the last one even added some great new features.

It seems that Insignia has changed their mode of operation since the NS-DV days.

Old 08-04-2008, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdow View Post
Sandisk has taken that lead position from Insignia... they have done a number of updates on the Sansa Clip and the last one even added some great new features.

It seems that Insignia has changed their mode of operation since the NS-DV days.
Yes I had noticed that too. The fact that they had added per file resume for podcasts was a notable addition. I very nearly purchased one for that feature alone before I settled on the Pilot. Had the Pilot not had bluetooth and been on sale, I may still have gone the Sansa route but I have to say I am so far quite satisfied with my Pilot.

Old 08-06-2008, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgvmp3 View Post
Yes I had noticed that too. The fact that they had added per file resume for podcasts was a notable addition. I very nearly purchased one for that feature alone before I settled on the Pilot. Had the Pilot not had bluetooth and been on sale, I may still have gone the Sansa route but I have to say I am so far quite satisfied with my Pilot.
Well, be wary of the View. I hear good things about the Clip and Fuze, but the View (which is apparently just enough different on the hardware front) has been slow to get updates, little in the way of enhancements, and slow and incomplete on bug fixes.

It's my 5th SanDisk mp3 player purchase, and the View is the first to irk me. I still have and still use (well, actually, my wife uses my View now), but the 8GB Pilot is my Baby now.

Old 08-06-2008, 11:22 AM

Default Per file resume feature in Pilot and Sport

Quote:
Yes I had noticed that too. The fact that they had added per file resume for podcasts was a notable addition. I very nearly purchased one for that feature alone before I settled on the Pilot.
The Pilot and Sport have a per file resume feature for mp3 files (ONLY mp3 and audible) that are in the Audible folder. This should work for podcasts as long as they're mp3.

Old 08-06-2008, 03:50 PM

Quote:
...The fact that they had added per file resume for podcasts was a notable addition.
And it works well...but.only in the audio books folder. The podcast folder plays files in backwards sequence. I was told it was designed that way so it would play the newest show first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmkirk View Post
Well, be wary of the View. I hear good things about the Clip and Fuze, but the View (which is apparently just enough different on the hardware front) has been slow to get updates, little in the way of enhancements, and slow and incomplete on bug fixes.

It's my 5th SanDisk mp3 player purchase, and the View is the first to irk me. I still have and still use (well, actually, my wife uses my View now), but the 8GB Pilot is my Baby now.
I have most of the older Sansa players, but they lost me over the battery issue. It was Sansa's switch to a non-user replaceable battery that drove me over to Insignia..however I did get a Clip because of their reported sound quality, and dirt cheap price..I'm very happy with it. The Fuse and View I wouldn't bother with as the Pilot and Sport have a few more functions (I think) and their batteries are user replaceable...a feature that's very important to me.

Every now and then I get the bug for a new toy...I know it's really quite wasteful, but for some reason I can't help myself...especally do to there being so many players that can be had for a small fraction of what they go for new/unopened at retail price. At $20 or $30 they're hard to resist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandalynn View Post
The Pilot and Sport have a per file resume feature for mp3 files (ONLY mp3 and audible) that are in the Audible folder. This should work for podcasts as long as they're mp3.
It also has a very easy to access bookmarking feature.

Old 08-06-2008, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandalynn View Post
I know, as I mainly use my Pilot for Podcasts. I was originally looking for a very cheap player just for podcasts and the Sansa Clip would've fit the bill but once I realized the Pilot which had Bluetooth, a desirable feature for me, also had the per file resume and was also on sale, it was no contest.

The thing is you have to make sure you access your mp3 files by going in via the audible icon. If you make the mistake of moving from one file to another then it will reset to the beginning.

Quote:
It also has a very easy to access bookmarking feature.
I find that per file resume is much more useful for podcasts then bookmarking since it is automatic whereas bookmarks you have to manually set each time. Bookmarks make more sense for material that you want to refer back to and is a nice backup feature, whereas podcasts I tend to listen to them once only.

I always found it odd that even now, many mp3 players don't support this basic feature when podcasting has been around for a while and you could argue it is now becoming mainstream.

Old 08-06-2008, 06:41 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I was originally looking for a very cheap player just for podcasts and the Sansa Clip would've fit the bill [...] also had the per file resume [...]
The newest firmware (.29) added per-file resume to the Clip, and some other goodies for audio books and podcasts. Not that you need it anymore, just saying.

Old 08-08-2008, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive-In-Freak View Post
And it works well...but.only in the audio books folder. The podcast folder plays files in backwards sequence. I was told it was designed that way so it would play the newest show first.
Are you sure about this? That has not been my general experience, but we may be doing something slightly different

Dana