Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-05-2008, 05:48 PM
Angry Downgrading Firmware from 1.21.01 to 1.03.04 - Help...!

Hi community,

so I'm the proud owner of a 4GB Zen for a week now.

Have happily found this board, have read the FAQ - very useful, especially how to sneak into recovery mode. Saved me at least once. ;o)

Now here's my issue...

I have successfully made the transition from the European firmware to the US version - the boost on volume was much needed. That went fine, and my ZEN is currently on FW 1.21.01.

From what I have read from various boards - picked my bits and pieces - Creative introduced that kind of "standby mode", which is really draining my battery a lot. I found that FW 1.03.04 should be the last version where off is really off and not standby mode.

I loaded that firmware at least three times today - hard to find those "outdated" firmware files by the way... Consequence is, FW installs successfully, at least that's what the executable tells. However, the screen of my ZEN remains blank. Absolutely blank. LED is on, though.

No matter how many times I turn it on and off, no matter how many times I reset it, no matter how many times I connect and disconnect it from the PC. Formatted, used the rebuild function as well. No go...

Reloading the current firmware though is smooth sailing, and the screen welcomes me again.

How comes I can't downgrade to that energy saving firmware?

Why does my screen stay blank?

I didn't manage to find any older firmware than 1.03.04.

Any thoughts how I can force my ZEN to accept that firmware - with a fully functional display? *sigh*

Greetings from Vienna, Michael

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

downgrade, firmware, zen