android
Old 08-10-2008, 09:06 PM

Default Zen Playlists and Media Monkey

Thanks to many people on this forum, I have synched my music library to my Zen using Media Monkey. But I still can't get my playlists to synch.

I have gone into Media Monkey and configured where I want my playlists to go numerous times with the following paths: \My Playlists\ and \Music\My Playlist\ and \Music\Playlist\. I used the latter as I have a folder in Music called playlist and that's what worked with my Insignia Pilot.

What am I missing?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-11-2008, 03:12 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I'm not sure with using playlists with MM, but what format are your playlists in; M3U? Make sure that they are stored within the folder you have setup to sync audio files with.

Zen FAQ

Old 08-11-2008, 05:59 PM

As you have noticed with my many questions, I am new and I will answer your questions to the best of my ability. I also search and search and search this forum along with Media Monkey's (and soon Creative) to find answers. Since I have windows 2000 I don't have access to the Zen manual that I am sure is on the disc.

As far as I know, the playlists in MM are M3U as that is in their Help section discussing exporting to other apps. What I don't know is where Zen stores them so I can route MM to that folder.

It looks like My Playlists is a separate folder so I tried configuring MM to send the playlists to \My Playlists\, as I mentioned above. I also tried \Music\My Playlists\ and I found a folder under music called Playlists, I even tried configuring it there. So far no luck getting anything to show up in any playlist.

When I tried to synch a playlist from WMP, it sent the only song in the playlist to Imported files, and a copy to the Artist folder, so I had two songs.

All in all this has been quite frustrating, mostly because I don't have a manual. As I have mentioned in another post, I am trying to synch pictures and since I don't see the Zen as a letter in Windows explorer, I can't drag and drop. I inserted an SC card from my camera to transfer pics and the only way to get one was to transer all 500! Not very efficient.

And I didn't get my album art when I synched. Looks like I have a lot of research and learning to do!!

Old 08-11-2008, 06:37 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Since I have windows 2000 I don't have access to the Zen manual that I am sure is on the disc.
I'm not so sure the Zen Manual will help much, but I've attached it to this post. You will have to unzip it in order to open/read.

Playlists are stored as ZPL files (Zen Playlist) on the Zen. In order to get playlists to show/play on the Zen, they either have to be created on the Zen itself (creates ZPL file), using software like the Creative Playlist Wizard (which reads and creates the playlists on the device directly; again creates ZPL file), or using sync/conversion software (initiates creation of ZPL file from compatible M3U file).
Attached Files
File Type: zip zen.zip (860.2 KB, 34 views)

Zen FAQ

Last edited by BobbyRS; 08-13-2008 at 06:21 PM.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:47 PM

In MediaMonkey, you can right click on the playlist and use the "send to" option, and the Zen player will be one of the options on where to send the playlist. This will then show up on your Zen when navigating - music - playlists.

Try it with a small playlist.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:04 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Thanks wickchucker.

Quote:
or using sync/conversion software (initiates creation of ZPL file from compatible M3U file).

Zen FAQ

Last edited by BobbyRS; 08-13-2008 at 06:23 PM.

Old 08-13-2008, 02:55 PM

That doesn't work. I think the problem lies with the different playlist formats. I finally just connected the Zen to a Vista machine, installed the software and created my playlist. Since I only want a few playlists as I usually play songs by album, this might just have to be the way it is until I find a .m3u to .zpl converter. Thanks all.

Old 08-13-2008, 06:18 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The Zen should automatically be creating the ZPL playlists based off of the M3U file data. I don't think there is really a data conversion taking place, but more so a newly created database entry on the Zen that points to the corresponding data based off of what is read from the recognized playlist file. The ZPL files on the Zen are basically zero-byte files which means they really don't exist in the sense of files that contain data, but more so contain pointers for the Zen's database to the audio files already stored on the Zen. This is also why I believe if you move the ZPL file from the Zen to the computer and then back to the Zen again, it loses the necessary information for the database to correctly associate and you get an unassociated file that doesn't do anything.

With that said, I believe the only way to create a ZPL playlist file is during a sync when the database is in the "writable" state to create them itself based off of the existing compatible playlist files or using software (like the Creative Playlist Wizard) that speaks the same language and can communicate directly with the database.

Zen FAQ