android
Old 08-11-2008, 04:38 PM

Unhappy Unable to Install the Software

Hi, I got my Zen V yesterday, refurbished by creative, bought it from e-bay. So! I open it, I get everything but the installation CD, so the first thing I did was charge it, and its still charging now as I speak, it'll take about 6 hours (apparently). So I decided to download the software from the website.

I'm running windows 2000 sp4 and I downloaded the media manager thing for windows 2000 from the creative website, but when I open the setup after it extracts and proceeds to the installer it says:

"Setup is unable to detect a supported product on your system"

I had my Zen V plugged in at the time i tried to install, didn't work, took it out, didn't work. SO then I tried to download the installation CD from that creative fan website, in parts, downloaded all parts, used winrar to run the setup, and it said that my OS wasn't supported. LOL. Piss take. The USB Icon in the taskbar is there showing my Zen V is plugged in. I can't see it in My Computer though...

Bobby, ZenChick HEEEEEEELP. >.<

EDIT!!!!!:

My problem is now fixed () because I researched a bit more (yeah should have done that before posting) Anyway found THIS THREAD and I followed the instructions in the post made by mac_bridger and voila! IT WORKED. I now have music on my beautiful Zen xD. HOWEVER. It is still not being detected in My Computer ...()... This is significant because I want to add photos onto my Zen, and cannot do it on MediaMonkey, so I'm basically asking how I can get it recognized and have it on My Computer so I can transfer photos (Or if you could direct me to software that will detect my Zen and sync it, allowing me to transfer photos, that'd be great!)

I also tried installing Creative Media Source again, for windows 2000, yes latest version, and it still says that its unable to detect it. Now I was going to do a firmware update, but since my Zen isn't being detected, I can't. Please Help!

OH; to lighten your load, I should probably mention that in devince manager it is now recognized and categorized under "Windows Portable Devices" and says "Creative Zen V" NO ERROR SIGNS, NO QUESTION MARKS ANYMORE. Just giving info.

Thanks.

Last edited by Murkinz; 08-12-2008 at 03:53 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-13-2008, 11:52 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Hello Murkinz. Welcome. Keep in mind that the Zen V is an MTP device and Windows 2000 is not a MTP supported operating system. You can use the specific drivers/software that you have found in the other thread to get it to work, however. You mention that you got music on it, but it still isn't being detected by the computer. You also mention that it is being recognized and the driver is loading fine in Device manager. At this point, the computer IS detecting and recognizing the Zen just fine. The problem here is with the Creative software not detecting the Zen, not the computer. Make sure you have the PlaysForSure Device Plug-In (CMS5_MTP_PCAPP_LB_5_00_36.exe) installed for MediaSource in order to get MTP devices detectable by the MediaSource software. You can download it from here. Also, make sure you have follow the requirements by the MediaSource software as well (like DirectX 9 or later installed).

I believe there are plug-in's for MM to get it to sync other media types. You may want to check them out as well. Also, have you ever considered using WMP?

Zen FAQ

Old 08-14-2008, 05:07 PM

Hmm... so is there no way to get the Zen to show up in My Computer? Also, I tried installing that PlaysForSure thing, the exact one you specified, but it isn't supported with my Operating System (TYPICAL!!!!!!!)

+ I tried to download the firmware aswell from the website but thats only for Windows XP aswell, there isn't 1.32.something for W2K. Anyhow, I looked for MM plugins and I can't find any that allow you to transfer other file types. Maybe you know other mp3 sync software that allows you to do that???

As for WMP, I have 9, I don't think 10 is supported in windows 2000, I tried.

I had just stopped after the last sentence to test WMP9 and I actually figured out how to transfer pictures to my Zen V - Voila! I got pictures on there. xD

So now imma bother you a bit more, and ask is there any way I can stop the freezing?; it already froze after 3 days -_-, once though. Anyway Im scared it will get outta control and freeze every hour or something, so I require your assistance once again.

Old 08-14-2008, 05:21 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yes, Creative software for MTP devices under official non-supported MTP Operating Systems, don't like to play together.

Quote:
Maybe you know other mp3 sync software that allows you to do that???
Yes, WMP9 (which is what i was refering to above as well).

Quote:
I had just stopped after the last sentence to test WMP9 and I actually figured out how to transfer pictures to my Zen V - Voila! I got pictures on there. xD

Quote:
So now imma bother you a bit more, and ask is there any way I can stop the freezing?; it already froze after 3 days -_-, once though. Anyway Im scared it will get outta control and freeze every hour or something, so I require your assistance once again.
Make sure you are running the latest firmware (requires an XP system to install). If you are already, I would try reloading it to see if that helps (again need WinXP). If you continue to get many lock-up's with the latest firmware and after reloading, i would consider contacting Creative regarding that it may not be as refurbished as they think.

Zen FAQ

Old 08-14-2008, 05:29 PM

Ok, I can get ahold of a computer with XP on it no problem and then I'll try to install the latest firmware (if that computer even detects the bloody device) and it'll be plain sailing, me enjoying my MP3 till the battery dies completely.

Well, thanks, your a legend! ;D

Old 08-14-2008, 05:37 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Actually, a Vista computer may be even better (native MTP support), so keep that in mind if you have access to one of those as well.

Quote:
Well, thanks, your a legend! ;D
No problem. Thanks for the compliment!

Zen FAQ

Old 09-07-2008, 06:44 PM

hi!! um sorry to bother you but i need help do we just go download windows media player 9 or is it somthing else

Old 09-08-2008, 08:00 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Hello stephanie. Welcome to ABI What exactly are you trying to do? Most likely you will be needing a newer version of WMP (like WMP10 or WMP11).

Zen FAQ