android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen

Old 08-14-2008, 05:04 AM

Default Questions on US Firmware for Zen and Album covers

I joined the forum a couple of weeks ago and been impressed with the feedback received in support. I have bought the 32GB Creative Zen and started syncing my music. I am generally happy with the product so far but just a couple of questions:
Volume level as predicted is poor and therefore recommended that I use US frimware to get round this.
On installation here in the UK the second screen asked to confirm which region I was in from Europe; Americas; Asia.
1) Should I have chosen Americas instead of Europe and then I would have got the US firmware?
2) As I now have to download US firmware and I have synced about 50 albums, will I lose all the data in the zen or will the firmware change preserve the files?
3) I have album covers for about half of the albums transfered over to the zen but no reason I can see why the other half don't have covers when they all have them in itunes. Some of the covers automatically through itunes, some I cut and pasted onto the board in itunes, having obtained from the website albumart; and others pasted from a jpeg which was present in the folder of the MP3 files. It seems that when the files are transfered over to the zen either manually or syncing that the jpegs are not shown or seen in the music folders (even though some are present on the zen itself) One has turned up in the pics menu on the zen without it being on the music menu?
I know I will have to play around to sort out the files but what should I be looking for in the files to ensure the album art downloads?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-14-2008, 10:59 AM

Default US firmware installation

Could someone do a walkthrough for installing the US firmware on the zen. The FAQ are not that clear - merely saying I have to uninstall the EU firmware before installing the US firmware. I am a little worried I will muck it up and leave myself open for a mass of problems afterwards.

For instance, what is the state of the zen itself after uninstalling the EU firmware?
Are the changes carried out on the computer only and not on the player itself.
Will I lose all my existing music files while changing the firmware?

All replys gratefully received.

Old 08-14-2008, 12:24 PM
Ultra Senior Member

A walkthrough can be found in the FAQ.

Keep in mind when you are booted into Recovery Mode you are not booted into the OS/Firmware of the Zen. The Recovery Mode is a host system recovery utility that operates outside of the firmware. So, it is independent of operation with or without firmware installed.

When booted into Recovery Mode and selecting the Reload Firmware from the menu, this erases the currently installed firmware. Once the Zen has completed erasing the firmware, it will prompt you to connect it to the computer to execute the new firmware installation.

*Make sure you have a good connection between the Zen and the computer before attempting. To test, boot the Zen into Recovery Mode, connect it to the computer, and see if it gets recognized correctly and the driver loads without error.

I will add this information to the FAQ. Thanks!

Quote:
For instance, what is the state of the zen itself after uninstalling the EU firmware?
See information above.

Quote:
Are the changes carried out on the computer only and not on the player itself.
The changes are made on the Zen. The computer just acts as the host when installing the new firmware.

Quote:
Will I lose all my existing music files while changing the firmware?
No you shouldn't. A Format is where you will lose data/files.

Quote:
1) Should I have chosen Americas instead of Europe and then I would have got the US firmware?
2) As I now have to download US firmware and I have synced about 50 albums, will I lose all the data in the zen or will the firmware change preserve the files?
1. Yes.
2. See answer above.

Quote:
3) I have album covers for about half of the albums transfered over to the zen but no reason I can see why the other half don't have covers when they all have them in itunes. Some of the covers automatically through itunes, some I cut and pasted onto the board in itunes, having obtained from the website albumart; and others pasted from a jpeg which was present in the folder of the MP3 files. It seems that when the files are transfered over to the zen either manually or syncing that the jpegs are not shown or seen in the music folders (even though some are present on the zen itself) One has turned up in the pics menu on the zen without it being on the music menu?
3. Album art needs to be embedded into the ID3 tags in order to show on the Zen. Please see the FAQ for more information as well as this thread on the topic.

Edit: Threads merged.

Zen FAQ

Last edited by BobbyRS; 08-14-2008 at 12:37 PM.

Old 08-14-2008, 12:42 PM

i am in process of doing the change now but i don't think i am doing it right as i downloaded from the link you gave and selected run with my zen connected and then again and it just said it is the same firmware version. I seem to be just overlaying the original firmware which is what you siad not to do. What is this about rebooting in recovery mode etc. where do i do that?

not worked - just the same firmware reloaded with the 'e' after.

Quote:
Keep in mind when you are booted into Recovery Mode you are not booted into the OS/Firmware of the Zen. The Recovery Mode is a host system recovery utility that operates outside of the firmware. So, it is independent of operation with or without firmware installed.

When booted into Recovery Mode and selecting the Reload Firmware from the menu, this erases the currently installed firmware. Once the Zen has completed erasing the firmware, it will prompt you to connect it to the computer to execute the new firmware installation.

*Make sure you have a good connection between the Zen and the computer before attempting. To test, boot the Zen into Recovery Mode, connect it to the computer, and see if it gets recognized correctly and the driver loads without error.
Bobby - I'm not used to having to do all this and don't understand what you said above. Would it not just be easier to uninstall everythingm and start again choosing America as the firmware?

Also, why is the artwork issue such a chore on the zen when with the ipod /itunes it is so simple. :-). I mean having to download another program to sort out the album covers is surely more than most people what to or should have to do?

Last edited by BobbyRS; 08-14-2008 at 01:00 PM.

Old 08-14-2008, 01:09 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
What is this about rebooting in recovery mode etc. where do i do that?
You select Reboot from the Recovery Mode Menu.

Quote:
I'm not used to having to do all this
Keep in mind, you don't have to do this. You can keep the EU firmware and the Zen operate just fine.

Quote:
Would it not just be easier to uninstall everythingm and start again choosing America as the firmware?
That is exactly what you have to do and what is mentioned in what I said above and in the FAQ.... What exactly are you thinking here? Are you sure you know what the Recovery Mode is? I suggest you check out the FAQ some more; particularly the Recovery Mode section under Troubleshooting. That way I know we are both on the same page here.

Quote:
Also, why is the artwork issue such a chore on the zen when with the ipod /itunes it is so simple. :-). I mean having to download another program to sort out the album covers is surely more than most people what to or should have to do?
It isn't really. You're just used to and familiar with iTunes and iPods. It is basically the same, but with more choices:

iPod = iTunes (which is another program)
Zen = Freedom of choice with application you want to use. (Ex. Windows Media Player, MP3Tag, MediaMonkey, WinAmp, etc.).

Zen FAQ

Old 08-14-2008, 01:32 PM

Success!!! Thanks so much for your help Bobby it has been invaluable. I hope creative appreciate you and should pay you.

Old 08-14-2008, 02:40 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Success!!! Thanks so much for your help Bobby it has been invaluable. I hope creative appreciate you and should pay you.
No problem.

Zen FAQ