android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen Vision:M

Old 08-14-2008, 03:51 PM

Exclamation "Semaphore timeout period expired" cant download items to zen!

Basically when i plug the zen in via usb, i can get onto the zen vision explorer to copy and paste music/vids/photos, so when i paste in music, it will move along the progress bar for some time and then come up with

"the semaphore timeout period has expired"

so i unplug the player and it stays saying "Docked" until i reset it, which then takes ages to rebuild the library and whatever i pasted on hasnt gone onto the player.

If anyone can help me it would be much appreciated because i cant find anything anywhere else!

Also the player is out of warrenty so i dont see any point in ringing creative!

NB - the player has the most up to date firmware and hasnt had any firmware problems in the past

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-14-2008, 05:12 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hello mrtomcc. Welcome. Were there any problems recently at all? Something seems to be corrupted. Either the firmware, file system, or wrong driver..... Do you have your files all backed-up and have you tried reformatting (formatting will erase files)? Have you tried reloading the firmware?

Can you verify the driver being used for the ZVM?

1. Click Start, (Settings), Control Panel, System, Hardware, and then Device Manager.
2. The ZVM should be listed under Windows Portable Devices.
3. Double left click on the Creative Zen listing under Portable Devices and select the Details Tab.
4 In the "Property" drop down box select "Inf Name" in. It should say "WPDMTP.INF".

The first thing I would do is (not really sure it would help, but try anyway) boot into Recovery Mode and select a Cleanup from the menu. This will repair any database errors the ZVM may be experiencing. Try to see if this helps with the error. Lets start here and let me know.....

Zen FAQ

Last edited by BobbyRS; 08-14-2008 at 05:22 PM.

Old 08-14-2008, 07:30 PM

Hey there, thanks for getting back to me!

to be honest with you i cant find the zvm anywhere in my device manager.. i dont know why either..

on the recovery mode however it says 'v1.62.02_0.0.23' - not sure if that helps..

i did cleanup and then rebooted it, which it proceded to rebuild and then turn on again, resetting the theme i had it on.

so then i attempted to transfer a song onto the player, which amazingly worked?!

i thought it was a little too good to be true, so i then tried to put 143 songs onto it.. it did a few songs and then the '..semaphore..' thing came up again so i left it and it would stay on a song for a good 2-3mins and then show the error message again, i'd click ok and then it'd do the same, so i then cancelled the transfer (- which i actually had to stop through task manager) and unplugged the zvm, again having to use the reset button to get it back to normal

i do have all my files backed up so i could reformat it btw
and also to note, it does seem to have a tiny rattle inside? could that be the hard drive is screwed? this is my 3rd zen and the 2nd one had to have the hard drive changed about 14 months ago?

Old 08-14-2008, 07:36 PM

btw i just found the driver and it does say the "WPDMTP.INF" you were talking about

Old 08-14-2008, 07:37 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Hey there, thanks for getting back to me!
No problem.

Quote:
to be honest with you i cant find the zvm anywhere in my device manager.. i dont know why either..
This could be related to the problem.... It should be listed under Portable Devices as the Zen Vision M.

Quote:
i did cleanup and then rebooted it, which it proceded to rebuild and then turn on again, resetting the theme i had it on.
Yeah, sorry about that. Although you won't lose data, a Cleanup will reset any user defined settings.

Quote:
i do have all my files backed up so i could reformat it btw
Good deal! This would be the very next option I would suggest doing. However, before doing so, do you have access to another computer to test on? If not, go ahead and boot back into Recovery Mode and do a Format and then Reboot.

Quote:
and also to note, it does seem to have a tiny rattle inside? could that be the hard drive is screwed? this is my 3rd zen and the 2nd one had to have the hard drive changed about 14 months ago?
Yeah, it very well could be related. Let give Formatting a try though first...

Zen FAQ

Old 08-14-2008, 07:38 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
btw i just found the driver and it does say the "WPDMTP.INF" you were talking about

Ok, good. That is what it is supposed to be. Thanks.

Zen FAQ

Old 08-17-2008, 01:13 PM

hey there again - here is the update on what ive done - i formatted it and rebooted.

then i tried putting songs on through zen vision m media explorer which worked for a couple of songs, then i tried a large batch and it came up with the same message once again, so i reset it and started again, but instead of using the media explorer i saw that under the group 'portable devices' on my computer there was 'my zen' which i dont think has been there before, so i went onto that, and went to music, and managed to transfer 90 songs, i had let my computer do this on its own, but literally a couple of seconds after i touched my computer to go onto firefox it said the player had stopped responding (basically the 'semaphore' thing but in different words) so i tried putting an episode of my name is earl on (174mb) and that worked, so then i tried putting talledega nights on (700mb) which seemed to work until it had 25seconds left. (i didnt touch anything on the comp in this time and it stopped on its own.)

what do you think could solve this??

basically it looks like after a couple of minutes of transfering whatever the media is, the player gets bored and stops accepting the data!!

very frustrating ey!

Old 08-17-2008, 06:05 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Do you have another computer to use to test this with? I wondering if the problem carries with the ZVM.

Zen FAQ

Old 08-17-2008, 06:52 PM

wow...I just googled "the semaphore timeout period has expired". Problems run the gamut from network dhcp, ethernet, DVD recording, TCP/IP problems, all of which have communications protocols in common. One person even got that error while using MS Word.
This is from a Vista support forum:

"This error is related to not being able to negotiate with a network, but
sometimes occurs when negotiating with removable media.
(Not all of these apply, but the details are sketchy going in.)
Check Device Manager for any Unknown Devices.
Remove drivers for the USB drive and re-install.
Check your networking settings make sense for your current use.
Try turning Network Discovery off and back on, turn off password
protection, turn off shared folders, etc.
Make sure you "Safely Remove Hardware"
If you are unplugging this USB drive, make sure things like Recycle Bin,
PageFile, Devices attempting to write to it when removed (TV Tuner/Audigy),
etc are turned off for this drive."

I have no idea if that will help, but there it is.

Old 08-17-2008, 06:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yeah, I saw that as well. Which is why I was double checking the driver information and asking if he can try on another computer. I'm thinking that the issue may swing either ways.... either there may be an issue with MTP (or even the USB host/controller) on the computer, or within the ZVM.

mrtomcc: In addition to trying another computer, it may be a long shot, but if you have access to another USB cable or dongle, it may be worth swapping them out to see if the problem improves or not.

Zen FAQ

Old 08-18-2008, 11:16 AM

i think guys... i may have solved it!

as i saw you's were talkin about it happening to alot of different things, i had a look at my setup to see if anything could be affecting it..

i have 4usbs normally attatched - my mouse, hard drive, zen and a bluetooth dongle.

as i saw a dongle may sometimes affect it, i took it out and put my zen in that usb, and that, as far as i can see has solved it!

ive transfered 50 songs and a film so far and im in the middle of transfering a gig of music, so fingers crossed the dongle was what was f'ing it up!

cheers fellas!

Old 08-18-2008, 11:20 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Good deal! Yeah, I always try to use a USB port directly integrated on the computer (motherboard) and not a hub USB port or even a case or monitor USB port. Good job!

Zen FAQ

Tags
docked, expired, freezing, semaphore, uploading