android
Old 12-28-2008, 11:30 PM

Why would you want to change the language of your MP3 player, what is UMS

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-20-2009, 12:55 PM

Ok i have done everithing, I downloadet the firmware from link (btw is .exe and i cant opened it so I renamed it to .zip and finaly s3.rom was inside)
config.dat is ok and when I start player all is korean but no UMS. In settings it says that I have firmware 1.50c KR. Any help? or maybe the firmware is wrong i downladet it from firmware site in forum.

Old 01-20-2009, 06:06 PM

Just download the firmware from the main Samsung site in your country. There's no config.dat in the file for the S5, but if there's none in yours, all you have to do is type a few lines and save it as config.dat.

Open Notepad and type:

YP-S3
US EN UMS

Then save it as config.dat. Drop it and the S3.ROM (mine is S5J.ROM) into the root or data folder, unplug it and away you go.

Old 02-01-2009, 08:24 AM

the only firmware for my player YP-S3 Firmware (MTP) (ver.1.01), there is no UMS version. (on EU or US site)

Maybe is there problem that this player is from Best buy?

Old 02-09-2009, 11:33 AM

im also having a problem where it wont switch from mtp to ums any ideas it updates the frimware and everything but when i open it in emodio it still says mtp

Old 02-09-2009, 12:03 PM

is it possibly because it is from best buy

Old 03-11-2009, 07:00 PM

Hi,
I could do the upgrade to 1.11 UMS according to your guide. I used :
YP-S3
US EN UMS
in the config.txt and it worked imediately after powering on the player.
UMS is working, but unfortunately the radio RDS function has now disappeared.
I noticed an other thread, where one mentioned that he had to send his S3 to service, because he had a "best buy" special firmware and with that, no upgrade was possible...
Regards Robert

Old 05-13-2009, 09:45 PM

Default s3 hardware

hello i got an yp-s3 and i use to have no problems with the drivers but now my pc doesnt recognise it, it puts something like invalid INF...
I read something about upgrading the firmware that that can fix it...
Well the thing is i really dont know anything about firmware or things like that... so i really like a detail tutorial of how to do this... as u can see my english its very poor thats why this is so difficult to me... so if somebody can do me the favour i will be very pleased

please help me

Old 06-06-2009, 08:08 PM

Thumb Up YP-S3JCB Update Now 1.12

First off guys you have to look at the sticker on the back of your S3 player. On that sticker you will find the YP-S3JCB or S3JAR or S3JCR or S3JQR. NOTE: If your model is not listed try another Samsung site until you find your model and DON'T use these as they may damage your player permanently!
Click the link below or better yet copy the link and paste it in to the address bar and hit enter. Download the exact model version you need and put it on your desktop. Unzip it and place the contents on your desktop. Right click on your desktop and create a new text document. Type in the following:
YP-S3J
US US UMS
Now save this as Config.dat
NOTE: (US US is the language setting)
http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/do...ia_cd=03041800

Open the S3 in my computer and drag and drop the S3J.ROM and the Config.dat files to your root directory of your S3.

Now be sure you have a full battery just to be safe. The update only took a few minutes at most.

Disconnect the S3 from the USB port, it will flash something for a quick second and proceed to turn it back on as it will now begin the Firmware updating process.

Once complete you can check to see the version is now 1.12 by moving through the menu "settings, system, about, Firmware Version 1.12US".

Wala should be good to go!

Last edited by Slashx; 06-06-2009 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Added NOTE:

Old 06-06-2009, 08:34 PM

Default Probably a USB problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akelosa View Post
hello i got an yp-s3 and i use to have no problems with the drivers but now my pc doesnt recognise it, it puts something like invalid INF...
I read something about upgrading the firmware that that can fix it...
Well the thing is i really dont know anything about firmware or things like that... so i really like a detail tutorial of how to do this... as u can see my english its very poor thats why this is so difficult to me... so if somebody can do me the favour i will be very pleased

please help me

Sounds to me like you have a USB problem either with another device or your USB have become corrupted. Try reinstalling your USB drivers. If you don't know how to do this seek help from someone that does know how!

If you have added any devices on your USB and or any other devices you may want to attempt disconnecting and try connecting your USB S3 again.

Good Luck!

Old 06-22-2009, 07:48 AM

I tried Slashx's method and it didn't turn to UMS.
I downloaded the S3J version for my player (which is listed as MTP only) and included the config.dat :

YP-S3J
US US UMS

As I expected, it updated the firmware version from 1.11 to 1.12, but still in MTP mode.
I presume that the change to UMS can only be done with the Korean version, but this bold warning prevents me of doing it :

NOTE: If your model is not listed try another Samsung site until you find your model and DON'T use these as they may damage your player permanently!

My model is only listed in the europe sites and always as MTP (YP-S3JCB). Shall I try installing the Korean firmware?
Thanks!

Old 07-04-2009, 12:31 PM

Default Best Buy

Did someone change from MTP to UMS on best buy device? Im having trouble with this

Old 07-04-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbbw View Post
I tried Slashx's method and it didn't turn to UMS.
I downloaded the S3J version for my player (which is listed as MTP only) and included the config.dat :

YP-S3J
US US UMS

As I expected, it updated the firmware version from 1.11 to 1.12, but still in MTP mode.
I presume that the change to UMS can only be done with the Korean version, but this bold warning prevents me of doing it :

NOTE: If your model is not listed try another Samsung site until you find your model and DON'T use these as they may damage your player permanently!

My model is only listed in the europe sites and always as MTP (YP-S3JCB). Shall I try installing the Korean firmware?
Thanks!
I already try changing to korean firmware but it changed only "turn on screen" no UMS by me. But i thing that this is because i have my player from Best Buy and ther there is BB firmware

Old 07-26-2009, 10:37 PM

hey!
i may be repeating some words here but i've got the same issue as some of u ppl:
my S3 came with "1.54 BB" firmware; i tried the korean firmware (1.12 + dat file) and the only thing it does is changing the language and the firmware version to "1.54 KR" but it remains as MTP...

another question: is it possible to upgrade the firmware on this BB device to the eu/us 1.12?

last one: i had a samsung t9 and when i plugged it, it appeared as a regular usb device... but this one, the s3, appears in the "others" section in mypc an it wont appear a "safely remove device" in the task bar and the emodio option is not available... so i just unplugg it when it is done. is this normal?

thanx!

Old 10-17-2009, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zemik View Post
hey!
i may be repeating some words here but i've got the same issue as some of u ppl:
my S3 came with "1.54 BB" firmware; i tried the korean firmware (1.12 + dat file) and the only thing it does is changing the language and the firmware version to "1.54 KR" but it remains as MTP...

another question: is it possible to upgrade the firmware on this BB device to the eu/us 1.12?

last one: i had a samsung t9 and when i plugged it, it appeared as a regular usb device... but this one, the s3, appears in the "others" section in mypc an it wont appear a "safely remove device" in the task bar and the emodio option is not available... so i just unplugg it when it is done. is this normal?

thanx!
this my help you with the best buy firmware http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=38761

Last edited by ketah23; 10-19-2009 at 03:30 AM.

Old 11-04-2009, 04:47 PM

Registered solely to say thanks to all for coming up with a solution to connecting my S3 in Ubuntu. I tried changing the config file to US US UMS with no success, but KR KO UMS worked a treat! Be sure to memorize that menu list so you can change the language back.

Old 02-15-2010, 05:56 PM

Newbie to all this firmware changing think, after following Mercury 451 's post on this thread I updated my S3 player to Samsung's Korean firmware YP-S3_MSC1.12. I had a bit of a problem because the Windows XP machine stopped responding while copying the ROM file and the Config.dat. In my Linux machine it mounts 2 devices with the S3 name. In one device I can see the folders like Albums, Music, ect. the other device, it shows weird folders with some sort of data I can't understand. My question: Is this normal?? Also is there a way to make tracks play by track number and not by alphabetical order?? Thanks