android
Old 08-18-2008, 09:44 AM

Default USB Device not recognized! Zen vision M : 30GB

hi everyone, 1st post

I have had my zen vision m 30gb since last october and had no problems up until a few months ago when i began getting usb power surge messages and having general difficulties *only* after reformatting my old pc.

Since then I have put together a new pc and after reformatting with the same version of windows as my previous pc began to get usb power surge messages. During this time when docked my player knew it was docked and showed the docked icon in the battery meter ... and throughout all this time the player itself is fine and is charging from the mains no issues. However since then these usb power surge messages have changed to "USB Device not recognised" messages. When I now plug the player in it wakes up/turns on but doesn't show the docked icon. Windows shows it in Device Manager under "Universal Serial Bus" as an "Unknown Device" and it won't charge through usb either. I have tried numerous things and am now tearing my hair out as I go on holiday in 3 weeks and at this rate won't be able to put any new music/films on my player . All accessories are official creative also. Ofc because it is not recognized by device manager Creative Explorer simply says the player isn't connected when it is ...

Things I've tried:

1, Run Windows update and got all the latest updates (I'm using XP Professional SP3 btw)
2. Rolled back from WMP 11 to WMP 10.
Reinstalled Creative software
3. Installed various hotfixes with no luck
4. Kept the mains charging the player when it's in my PC
5. Tried the player in different USB ports, directly into the mobo, other stuff works in the usb ports
6. Tried a .zip dos program which does something to do with device manager/zen vision m with no luck
7. Uninstalled the driver in device manager, rebooted, reconnected - no luck
8. Tried to roll back driver, windows says there has never been a driver installed
9. Tried it in the PC downstairs running Vista Home Premium 32 bit and got the same USB device not recognized error
10. Bought a new cable off ebay which should be here tomorrow to check it isn't the cable.
11. Installed latest chipset drivers
12. Uninstalled Alcohol 120% and the SPTD (or similar) file from system 32
13. Checked out the sticky @ the top relating to this. Windows just says that when I "Update driver" that no drivers better than what are already installed were found. I have had a read through the sticky and can't seem to find anything to remedy my problemo.
Can't think of anything else atm ..

I will format my old pc with SP2 tomorrow and see if within Sp3 lies the problem ...

Any other suggestions please? I am at wits end as to what to do ...

thanks

Last edited by Mitch92uK; 08-18-2008 at 09:55 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-18-2008, 09:54 AM
Banned

This is a classic case of hardware failure. You'll need to replace your motherboard.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGadgetDoctor View Post
This is a classic case of hardware failure. You'll need to replace your motherboard.
Hi Doctor ..

possibly my fault for not saying but other devices are working in the usb ports and the fact that it's done the same thing in 2 other machines tells me it's not the mobo.

thanks

Old 08-18-2008, 10:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch92uK View Post
Hi Doctor ..

possibly my fault for not saying but other devices are working in the usb ports and the fact that it's done the same thing in 2 other machines tells me it's not the mobo.

thanks
Oh I just realized that the way I phrased it made it sound like I was referring to your computer's motherboard. I was actually referring to your Zen's motherboard.

Old 08-18-2008, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Oh I just realized that the way I phrased it made it sound like I was referring to your computer's motherboard. I was actually referring to your Zen's motherboard.
fack ... really? Even though the player itself still works fine and charges off mains etc. no problem and just usb connection is problematic?

Old 08-18-2008, 10:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
fack ... really? Even though the player itself still works fine and charges off mains etc. no problem and just usb connection is problematic?
Yes.

Quote:
However since then these usb power surge messages have changed to "USB Device not recognised" messages.
Power Surge messages and USB Device Not Recognized messages in my experience, indicate that something in the motherboard has gone bad. However I'd like to see what BobbyRS has to say as well on the topic.

Old 08-18-2008, 10:19 AM

Any idea how rapid the creative RMA turnaround is then doc? =) I need it for my hols on the 3rd September. Also can I don't suppose i can wipe the player without connecting it to pc can i?

many thanks for your advice ... appreciate it

edit : this is odd ... I just reconnected the player and the zen now shows the docked icon in the battery meter ... weird? Still not recognised tho :/

Last edited by Mitch92uK; 08-18-2008 at 10:30 AM.

Old 08-18-2008, 10:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Any idea how rapid the creative RMA turnaround is then doc? =) I need it for my hols on the 3rd September. Also can I don't suppose i can wipe the player without connecting it to pc can i?

many thanks for your advice ... appreciate it

edit : this is odd ... I just reconnected the player and the zen now shows the docked icon in the battery meter ... weird? Still not recognised tho :/
I think their turnaround time is 2-5 weeks, but I'm not certain. Their phone number is 1-800-998-1000 M-F 9-6 CST.

You can wipe the player by putting it into Recovery Mode and selecting "Format." To put it into Recovery Mode, get a straightened paper clip and put it in the reset hole. While holding it there, pull the power on/off button in the "on" position. While holding it in the "on" position, release the paperclip from the reset hole; it should go to Recovery Mode at that point.

Old 08-18-2008, 10:42 AM

Quote:
I think their turnaround time is 2-5 weeks, but I'm not certain. Their phone number is 1-800-998-1000 M-F 9-6 CST.

You can wipe the player by putting it into Recovery Mode and selecting "Format." To put it into Recovery Mode, get a straightened paper clip and put it in the reset hole. While holding it there, pull the power on/off button in the "on" position. While holding it in the "on" position, release the paperclip from the reset hole; it should go to Recovery Mode at that point.
thanks for that buddy you just saved me a lot o time

edit : i paid for the item on the 22nd October last year so does this mean I need to have sent the player off by then or what?

edit edit : <table id="Table3" bgcolor="#dddddd" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="543"><tbody><tr><td bgcolor="#dddddd"> </td><td class="textbluebold" bgcolor="#dddddd">4 - How long will it take to receive my product back from Creative Labs RMA? </td></tr> <tr><td bgcolor="#dddddd"></td><td bgcolor="#dddddd"></td></tr><tr> </tr></tbody></table> <table id="Table4" bgcolor="#ffffff" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="543"><tbody><tr><td bgcolor="#ffffff"></td><td bgcolor="#ffffff"></td></tr><tr> </tr><tr><td bgcolor="#ffffff"> </td><td class="text" bgcolor="#ffffff">Creative Labs standard RMA turnaround time is 10-15 business days from the day it was received. If no product is received after 15 business days, please contact Customer Support for further assistance.</td></tr></tbody></table>

Last edited by Mitch92uK; 08-18-2008 at 10:53 AM.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:29 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hello Mitch92uK. Welcome to ABI.

You have done some great troubleshooting. I would hold off on any formats for now. The part where you have verified that it does the same on the other computer is all it took to show that the problem is carrying with the ZVM and it not within your computer. The possible causes here (and one's I've seen before) are:

- The Sync Adapter (Dongle)
- The USB Cable
- The Mainboard (possible USB Controller failure)

You mentioned that you have purchased another USB cable and that is a great place to start. Let us know how it goes when you receive it and are able to test. Any chance you have access to another dongle?

Quote:
This is a good indication that you may have a loose dongle or some type of bent or misaligned pins either in the dongle itself or the ZVM's data port the dongle plugs into. Disconnect the ZVM from the computer and remove the dongle from the ZVM. Take a look at the data port on the ZVM and the pins in the dongle. Do you see any that are bent or misaligned?

With the ZVM connected to the computer, try wiggling the cable around first to see if you see any reaction on the computer. If not, move to the dongle, try moving it around (slowly and lightly) to see if you get a different result.

Quote:
edit : i paid for the item on the 22nd October last year so does this mean I need to have sent the player off by then or what?
If you ZVM is still under warranty, I would recommend sending it to Creative for any repair work if need be. No sense of not taking advantage of it if it is still in place. The ZVM comes with a 1 year parts and 90 days labor and limited hardware warranty.

These should help:

Returning your Zen to Creative for warranty service.
Creative Warranty Returns FAQ.

Zen FAQ

Old 08-19-2008, 05:15 AM

Hi Bobby

thanks for your informative reply.

just to make it clearer this is the cable I got with the zen and into this then plugs the AV/mains cable from the accessory pack which i also bought.

I will try the new cable as soon as it arrives and let you know how i get on .. what do you mean tho about trying another dongle? thanks

I tried wiggling the cable having checked for any seemingly bent pins but I can't see anything visibly wrong.

One thing that did just happen tho bob was when i had the multifunction cable in wiggling it around the zen said "switching to AV out" for a moment then returned to normal, when there was no av cable plugged in? Is this sounding more like i have something wrong with the multifunction cable?

Old 08-19-2008, 06:58 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
just to make it clearer this is the cable I got with the zen
Ok, good. That cable has the sync adapter (dongle) built-in. So, when you say you have a new cable coming, you are actually getting a new cable and sync adapter.

Quote:
One thing that did just happen tho bob was when i had the multifunction cable in wiggling it around the zen said "switching to AV out" for a moment then returned to normal, when there was no av cable plugged in?
This could be because of some bent or misaligned pins making contact enabling the switch to A/V out..... or a fault within the sync adapter (your case the cable with it built-in).

Quote:
Is this sounding more like i have something wrong with the multifunction cable?
Yes, it very well could be...... or the data port on the ZVM, but I would definitely question the cable first.

Zen FAQ

Old 08-22-2008, 05:20 AM

HI guys

I got the cable this morning .. plugged it in with fingers crossed and at first it looked as if it was going to work. The zen started charging through USB which it hasn't done in months but then it just siaplayed the same "USB Device not recognized"

This is the same in another comp also :/ and i've been through all the troubleshooting creative have offered. Is it the mainboard of my zen messing up?

RMA time?

Last edited by Mitch92uK; 08-22-2008 at 05:48 AM.

Old 08-22-2008, 08:36 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Well, it could be a mainboard issue.... or even just a data port issue. I would really inspect the port for any mis-aligned or bent pins. It may not really help, but do you have the original sync adapter that came with the ZVM?

Zen FAQ

Old 08-22-2008, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
Well, it could be a mainboard issue.... or even just a data port issue. I would really inspect the port for any mis-aligned or bent pins. It may not really help, but do you have the original sync adapter that came with the ZVM?
Hi Bobby ...

The only cable I got with the zen was the one i posted above mate.

When I look at the data port of the zen the 2 pins on the far left, and far right seem more prominent than the others. Also there are 2 pins in the centre which are more visible. Sound normal?#

also having looked at the other thread with similar symptoms one of the guys fixed their problem rolling back to wmp 10 then upgrading again. I have done this but should I wipe all creative software, roll back, upgrade to WMP 11, reinstall creative software?

Last edited by Mitch92uK; 08-22-2008 at 09:13 AM.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Hi Bobby ...

When I look at the data port of the zen the 2 pins on the far left, and far right seem more prominent than the others. Also there are 2 pins in the centre which are more visible. Sound normal?#

also having looked at the other thread with similar symptoms one of the guys fixed their problem rolling back to wmp 10 then upgrading again. I have done this but should I wipe all creative software, roll back, upgrade to WMP 11, reinstall creative software?
The data pins seem fine to me, from your description. If some of them were bent up or to the side or cut shorter than the rest that would be a problem.

Regarding software issues, it couldn't hurt to uninstall all the Creative software and reinstall. You said the Zen did the same thing on another computer. I always say, 3 is the lucky number. Try it on a third computer. If it still doesn't work, either all 3 computers have the same software deficiency/incompatibility with the Zen, or your Zen is the problem.

Old 08-23-2008, 03:59 AM

Quote:
The data pins seem fine to me, from your description. If some of them were bent up or to the side or cut shorter than the rest that would be a problem.

Regarding software issues, it couldn't hurt to uninstall all the Creative software and reinstall. You said the Zen did the same thing on another computer. I always say, 3 is the lucky number. Try it on a third computer. If it still doesn't work, either all 3 computers have the same software deficiency/incompatibility with the Zen, or your Zen is the problem.
It's done the same mate on;

My PC - XP Professional SP3 32 bit ****
My old pc - "
Downstairs pc - Vista Home Premium or Basic (not sure) 32 bit
Bro's pc - XP Media Centre Edition. ****

**** = having tried with the new cable also.

from your quote gadget are you saying you think it's likely 1 or 2 data pins slightly out?

Old 08-24-2008, 01:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
It's done the same mate on;

My PC - XP Professional SP3 32 bit ****
My old pc - "
Downstairs pc - Vista Home Premium or Basic (not sure) 32 bit
Bro's pc - XP Media Centre Edition. ****

**** = having tried with the new cable also.

from your quote gadget are you saying you think it's likely 1 or 2 data pins slightly out?
It seemed from your description that the pins were fine. If they were out of place, that would be the simpler solution. But that doesn't seem to be the case here.

Old 08-24-2008, 02:37 AM

Quote:
It seemed from your description that the pins were fine. If they were out of place, that would be the simpler solution. But that doesn't seem to be the case here.
I've been talking with creative support for a few days now and today it emerged that apparently I bought a refurbished unit from play.com despite paying full price for it and thinking it was brand new. I hope this doesn't affect the warranty though.

edit ; yes it does as it only has 90 day warranty. Rather steaming our of my ears i rang play.com who offered a refund of the 150 i paid for it so it's being picked up on tuesday to be refunded .. this hasn't been a fun experience blokes. If anyone wants to buy the accessory pack from me .. if it's allowed (couldn't find anything in the rules).

thanks again bobby and gadget for your helps but I think i might just buy a 32GB SDHC for my touch pro when it arrives and use that.

thanks again blokes

Last edited by Mitch92uK; 08-24-2008 at 06:42 AM.

Old 08-26-2008, 12:21 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Ok, no big deal. The ZVM usually comes with a sync adapter (dongle) and not the cable you have.

Quote:
Hard to say really.... any chance that you could take a picture and post?

Quote:
I have done this but should I wipe all creative software, roll back, upgrade to WMP 11, reinstall creative software?
I would uninstall all of the Creative software and leave it uninstalled until your issue is resolved. The Creative software is not needed for the ZVM to work anyway, so no sense in having it installed when it has been known to cause so many issues with connectivity when the OS is already MTP compliant itself. Once the Creative software is all uninstalled, then try reinstalling/uninstalling WMP versions.

Quote:
apparently I bought a refurbished unit from play.com despite paying full price for it and thinking it was brand new.
That's not good. That explains the lack of a sync adapter.

Quote:
i rang play.com who offered a refund of the 150 i paid for it so it's being picked up on tuesday to be refunded ..
Ah, good to hear! Good thing you decided to double check for any warranty before possibly doing anything that may have voided it.

Quote:
thanks again bobby and gadget for your helps
No problem! Good luck.

Zen FAQ