android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen Vision:M

Old 08-18-2008, 12:20 PM

Default Recognized by Windows but not Explorer

I have a Vision M 30gb that is recognized by Windows, in device manager and by the pop up when docked but not by any other software.

My set up is as follows:
XP sp2
WMP10 (rolled back because WMP11 caused other issues)
Creative Explorer for the M plus, Micro, Micro Photo and Zen Plus (we like Creative Players)
I've unisnstalled and re-installed the Explorer for the M and it worked the same either way.
Firmware version 1.61.......

I've tried various solutions on this forum and others including editing the registry permissions, clean up and re-format etc.
When I plug the Vision in as a removable disk it is recognized by all programs and is accessable, as a test I copied data to and from by as a player it's not recognized by WMP, Creative explorer or Windows explorer or the Creative MP3 Recovery program.
When plugged (USB) in the player turns on and shows as docked and will recharge.
It did play the limited amount of music on it before I formatted it but I thought maybe there was something buggy on the player.
Does anyone have any thoughts?

It's not under warrenty or anything and I'm not afraid to open it but if there'sa asetup solution I'd prefer that first.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-19-2008, 07:22 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hello Island Guy. Welcome. I would try reinstalling WMP10 and/or reinstalling the driver in Device Manager.

To re-install the Zen's MTP driver if not being recognized correctly:

1. With the Zen connected, in Device Manager, expand the Potable Device category.
2. Right click on the Zen's listing and select the Uninstall from the menu.
3. Once it is uninstalled, disconnect the Zen from the USB port.
4. Wait a minute, then plug it back in and take note in Device Manager that it refreshes and reloads the driver properly.
5. Once it reloads the driver properly, open My Computer and see if it shows correctly.

This has sometimes been known to correct any detection issues with software seeing the ZVM.

Good luck!

Zen FAQ

Old 08-20-2008, 07:40 PM

Thanks Bobby,
tried the solution but no luck. I can watch the device manager go through the motions, showing a new device with the yellow ! then finding the Creative Vision M driver and it shows it operating correctly but the player is still not recognized by WMP or Windows Explorer.
Does anyone have any other ideas or could this be a hardware issue?

As I said the removable disk option works and it is recognized by all software. Can I load stuff to th eplayer that way or is it just a partition to hold data?

Old 08-20-2008, 07:52 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Does anyone have any other ideas or could this be a hardware issue?
Your issue appears to be a software issue. Make sure you have no Creative software installed and try the driver uninstall/reinstall again. If that doesn't help, try reinstalling WMP10.

Quote:
Can I load stuff to th eplayer that way or is it just a partition to hold data?
It is a separate partition set aside for using as a remoavable drive to hold misc. data.

Zen FAQ

Old 08-21-2008, 06:46 AM

The Vision M software is gone and I deleted all reminants of WMP11 and reistalled WMP10 (thanks for th elink MS site is always pointing to the newest stuff).
What I have installed now is the Creative software for a micro, a micro photo and a Zen V plus...should I uninstall all of those too?
Again thanks for the suggestions, this forum has been a great help with all of our players.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:31 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
The Vision M software is gone and I deleted all reminants of WMP11 and reistalled WMP10
Any change in the status/detection of the ZVM since uninstalling WMP11 and reinstalling WMP10? If not, make sure all of the Creative software is uninstalled.

Quote:
(thanks for th elink MS site is always pointing to the newest stuff).
Quote:
Again thanks for the suggestions, this forum has been a great help with all of our players.
No problem.

Zen FAQ

Old 08-21-2008, 11:06 AM

With WMP11 it was hit and miss depending upon what Creative Vision M software was installed and what order WMP11 and Creative Vision M were installed in.
Sometimes if the Vision M software was there it wasn't recognized properly and wasn't 'docked' on the player.
Removing both WMP11 and Creative Vision M Explorer made it recognized in Device Manager, 'docked' on the player but not found by WMP10 or Windows explorer.
Reinstalling Creative with WMP10 had the same result (I was hoping maybe htere was a better drive on the CD).
BUT it does recognise the player as a removeable disk drive which gives me hope.
I'll remove ALL Creative software for all of my players and hope for the best.

Man even though I debug code(mainframe) for a living it never gets any easier.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:17 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Keep in mind the ZVM is an MTP device. In order for WinXP to be MTP compliant, it has to have WMP10 or WMP11 installed to get the Windows Media Framework and MTP support/driver. The Creative software has been known to cause/break MTP support or detection with the ZVM especially if using WMP11. If you are using nothing but MTP devices, you really do not need to use any of the Creative software at all if the OS is MTP compliant. Like I said, most of the time added Creative software cause instability with MTP. With you being able to get the ZVM detected (hit-or-miss) by manipulating the Creative software and WMP, I would definitely say your issue is a software induced issue.

Quote:
BUT it does recognise the player as a removeable disk drive which gives me hope.
Keep in mind, when the ZVM is in Removable Disk Mode, it is not being detected as an MTP Device, but as an MSC/UMS Device, so MTP doesn't come into play in this situation; different drivers (USB).

Quote:
Man even though I debug code(mainframe) for a living it never gets any easier.
No it doesn't! I feel for you!<!-- / message -->

Zen FAQ

Old 08-21-2008, 06:54 PM

Well I unistalled everything Creative, same thing happens,
unit docks, device manager recognizes but not WMP or Explorer,
reinstallled WMP10, same result got the error meassage: 'Windows Media Player does not detect a portable device. Connect your portable device, and then try again.' Plugging ansd unplugging the player didn't help, rebooting comp didn't help. Still good in DV not in WMP or EXP.

Upgraded to WMP11 and ran into the code 10 issue so unistalled the drivers and manually reinstalled the player driver still not recognized by software.

Now if I unplug and replug the player it tries to re-installed the hardware manually and I get the code 10 error and the device manager keeps re-cycling to try and update the driver with no luck.

I'll look for a VISTA machine and see but I'm not holding my breath.

Well since this isn't woorking does anyone wnat to buy a used vision M with a few scratches, a good battery and harddrive but what I suspect is a motherboard or connector issue?

Old 08-21-2008, 09:01 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Upgraded to WMP11 and ran into the code 10 issue so unistalled the drivers and manually reinstalled the player driver still not recognized by software.
Here are the 3 most reported fixes to the Error Code 10 error reported in Device Manager for the driver. From the Zen FAQ:

Quote:
Possible Fix 1:

Warning: This fix involves editing the Windows Registry. Please try if you feel it is your last resort and any of the previous fixes have not worked. It is a good idea to back up the enteries you modify or delete.

1. Disconnect the Zen, if connected.

2. Run regedit (Click on the "Start" button and select "Run") and go to this registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{EEC5AD98-8080-425f-922A-DABF3DE3F69A}

3. In the right hand panel, the key "(Default)" should say "Portable Devices".

4. Delete the Key “UpperFilters”.

5. Delete the Key “LowerFilters” (If present).

6. Reconnect the device .

This Registry change has been known to work on Windows XP SP2 only. I am not sure if it will work on other versions of Windows.

Possible Fix 2:

Check the Control Panel > Admin Tools> Services for a service called LibUSB-Win32 and disable it. This service has been confirmed to cause this error with the Zen's driver. See threads here, here, and here.

Possible Fix 3:

A corrupt database on the Zen has also been known to cause this. In theory, the Zen will react by not communicating during enumeration (loading the driver with the OS) to prevent any further possible corruption. To correct this corruption, boot the Zen into Recovery Mode and select a Cleanup from the menu. Along this same theory, if a Cleanup doesn't seem to repair the database, the corruption could also be more severe and exist on the file system level. Too correct a file system corruption, boot the Zen into Recovery Mode and select Format from the menu. A Format will rebuild the file system WARNING: A Format will erase all files on the Zen, so keep that in mind.

I have seen numbers 3 and 2 the most often to work.

Quote:
I'll look for a VISTA machine and see but I'm not holding my breath.
That would be a good test since Vista natively supports MTP. If it doesn't work, then the problem will look as though it is with the ZVM. If it does work, then you know it is your XP computer.

Zen FAQ

Old 08-22-2008, 02:27 PM

Yeah thanks, have tried all of those to no avail...just in the recycling code 10 error crap...BUT putting it into recovery mode made it recognized by WMP...man this is strange.

Thanks for all of your help

Last edited by Island Guy; 08-22-2008 at 02:35 PM.

Old 08-26-2008, 01:42 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Have you tried a different USB cable or even a different sync adapter (dongle)? How about that Vista computer?

Quote:
BUT putting it into recovery mode made it recognized by WMP...man this is strange.
Wait.... when in Recovery Mode, the ZVM'd driver loads fine in Device Manager and is recognized by WMP? Did you get any error messages when doing a Cleanup or Format from within Recovery Mode before?

Zen FAQ

Old 08-28-2008, 02:10 PM

WMP sees the player, asks if I want to syncronize auto or manual, when I choose manual it pops up an error message 'Windows Media Player cannot modify the syncronization settings at this time. Try again later.
If I close the box and try syncing I get the following message:
'Windows Media Player cannot access the file. The file might be in use, you might not have access to the computer where the file is stored, or your proxy settings might not be correct.'
The Player is on the recovery screen but has DOCKED showing up on it.
I'll keep playing with it and see if I can make something happen

Old 08-28-2008, 02:13 PM
Ultra Senior Member

When in Recovery Mode, you haven't booted into the firmware, so that makes sense that you can't access the files since there is no file system/database loaded.

Zen FAQ

Old 08-29-2008, 12:08 PM

Would I be able to use the recovery tool and update the firmware at this stage?
It seems to be a buggy player so maybe there's a firmware issue and updating it might help?

Old 08-29-2008, 08:48 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Would I be able to use the recovery tool and update the firmware at this stage?
You could try. I thought you mentioned in the first post that the recovery tool program didn't see the ZVM..... Does it see it while booted into Recovery Mode and connected?

Quote:
It seems to be a buggy player so maybe there's a firmware issue and updating it might help?
It may... but I am thinking more along the lines of a file system/database issue (which is what can cause the refusal to enumerate) that would require a Format to correct. However, hopefully you have your files backed up since this would erase them.

Zen FAQ

Old 08-31-2008, 02:15 PM

Tried the recovery tool while the player was in Recovery mode and while it recoginzed the player and started it failed to update. I tried a couple of times.
I've formated many times and even when plugged in as a external hard drive I've run the windows scans against it and the HD seems to be fine.
I guess I'll have to find that Vista machine, or dig out my old Windows ME machine and see if that works.

Me (with proper drivers) performs the same way, Windows sees the player but WMP 9 and Explorer don't.

Guess I have a unit for Ebay.

Last edited by Island Guy; 09-02-2008 at 07:26 AM.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:58 AM
Ultra Senior Member

You have had issues with WMP working/detecting the player correctly. Make sure you do not have anything related to WMP running in the background (use Task Manager) when attempting to upgrade the firmware. Make sure nothing like wmplayer.exe is running......

Zen FAQ

Old 09-05-2008, 02:37 PM

Nope not running in the background.

Old 09-09-2008, 03:21 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
...just in the recycling code 10 error crap...BUT putting it into recovery mode made it recognized by WMP...man this is strange.
This basically confirms that something or some service that is loading or starting in normal mode is interfering with the ZVM's driver load since it appears to load properly in Safe Mode. I would start disabling any auto-started program or exe from the startup folder and registry as well as disabling any not-needed services.

Zen FAQ