android
Old 08-20-2008, 10:26 PM

Default No sound from right headphone/speaker

Hi there!
I purchased a 16 gb zen about two weeks ago and I haven't had a problem till today =(.
First things first, I am currently on the 1.13.01 firmware. When I first got it I downgraded from 1.21 (or whatever the newest firmware was) and, as I said before, experienced no problems what so ever.
This morning while listening to music I pulled out the headphones to swap them with another set of headphones. When I plugged the new ones back in I noticed that there was no sound coming from the right headphone. I've unplugged the new headphones, used my old ones, borrowed a few headphones from random people and on each of them the same problem. So it's almost certain that there is something wrong with the player.
Has anyone had the same problem? Is it a hardware problem? Or could it be a software problem? It is probably a hardware problem but i've yet to drop it and the Zen is safe in my padded leather case and it was working fine till just now. Here’s hoping it can be fixed somehow without sending it to creative.

Thanks in advanced.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-20-2008, 10:41 PM

Hello again
I borrowed a few more headphones to test it out and for some reason the right speaker works on ipod headphones and *cheap* headphones, although the right side is weaker or softer than the left. And by cheap I mean the 5 dollar ones you get from the 2 dollar store.
This does not bode well for me but I'm still curious if anyone else is experiencing the same problem.

Old 08-21-2008, 12:00 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hello pillzz. It sounds like a faulty headphone jack (loose or broke solder point perhaps). Maybe certain headphones are emphasizing the connection issue more so then others. Be thankful for warranties because this is what they are for. I would consider returning your Zen to Creative for repair.

Returning your Zen to Creative for warranty service.
Creative Warranty Returns FAQ.

Zen FAQ

Old 08-22-2008, 04:00 PM

yea my zvw did the same thing, warranty was expired so i popped it open and used a screw driver to push the pin in that presses against the headphone jack and it works like new.

Old 08-26-2008, 01:48 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yeah, good to hear justyn8490. Key words here "warranty was expired".

Zen FAQ