android
Old 08-21-2008, 02:21 PM

Arrow Right Wat u hate and love about nwz 82x/72x

Well i got my new Nwz 728 a month back and truly loving it.
So i have a list of things which i love as well as hate about them..lets list t out and hope some guy frm sony reads this and makes an update in their next player.

love:
1)Sleek and gr8 build quality
2)lovely Screen
3)Best SQ
4)Highly customizable EQ and clear bass
5)Simple navigation
6)Awesome bundled ear phones..(i prefer my ultimate ears though.)
7)Drag drop Support
8)Looooong battery life

Hate:
1)Album art too small
2)Want more video codec support
3)HATE sony charging for video conversion s/w(in one thread a link was provided saying the pro s/w was free but it never worked for me.)
4)Cant set wall paper on such a nice screen(hey how many players allow u to do tat.. but still..)
5)Memory card support.. if not sdhc cards at least their properaitary M2 memory stick would be great
6)Radio would be a gr8 add on they have em on their cheaper players but cut em out on their premium player???worst business logic really

Last edited by Aswin; 08-24-2008 at 03:59 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-21-2008, 02:23 PM
Visiting troll from Pocketables

sony software thing doesnt really matter as the sony uses the same codecs as the ipod. just download super and use the ipod settings for 320x240 and youre all set

Old 08-22-2008, 11:32 AM

lack of UI customization in general. EQ customization is nice, but a few more bands would be useful.

The video codec support is fine. h264/AVC is already the best for videos anyways

Old 08-22-2008, 02:45 PM

I don't own one, but I have played with the new Sony players quite a few times now. I'd agree that the two big issues why I did not get one was because of no SDHC expansion and absolutely no customization of the UI. 8/16GB just is not enough for me at all and I refuse to buy a player and than have to buy another one because I simply need more storage when they could cheaply add SDHC support. UI customization would be nice because I really find the player boring and did not like the layout at all. The now playing screen for instance is to cluttered to me and I'd rather have a nice big album picture instead. The icons are incredibly boring and no wallpaper!!!! Also I'm not to hot with the format support. I'm sure I could deal with the limited support, but I'd prefer to have more options. Sound quality is very good. Wouldn't say it is the "best", but certainly not an issue and definitely in the top tier.

Just some of my feelings. I might buy one if they worked on the above. The quality seems to be there, but in classic Sony fashion they just don't like to give the consumer control of anything. I feel as if their whole goal is to give you a player that you will enjoy but not to much that you don't see a need to buy the next player they release in 6 months. I hate that.

Old 08-22-2008, 05:59 PM

Lack of UI custimization, no "jacket search", impressive SQ

Old 08-22-2008, 07:18 PM

things i like.

-instant power on. like resuming from pause on other players

-can use as usb device in windows. which means i have a drive letter and can use a "real" file sync application- not have to rely on some poxy media player (hated my zen which was MTP only)

-can browse by folder - definitely my preffered method of navigation

-fast navigation. press the d-pad sideways does a page up/down just incase anybody didn't realise

-sound quality. i'm certainly no audiophile and admittedly i've only only owned a few different players but this is the best of the lot. (used the same sennheiser px100's on all my players so it's a fair comparison)

the not so good......

-proprietary connection. although i look after my stuff well enough, why couldn't they use a standard mini usb jack?

-slow seek. although you can speed this up by pressing pause first, doing this means you get no audio feedback. it's not always convenient for me to look at the screen.

-as mentioned by the peeps above, no ui customisation. i'd like to remove the genre tag from the main display. i don't tag my files with genre. it serves no purpose.

-after adding files via pc, the place the player resumes from is lost when you power up again. annoying for me as i listen to lots of 2-3 dj sets

only minor niggles really. i love the player overall.

Old 08-23-2008, 07:03 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I only hate 2 things about the A72X/A82X series:
1 - capacity is TOO LOW! How about going to 32gb Sony? I'd pay a little extra for it.
2 - I wan't an FM tuner built in - would blow away the S61X feature wise that way.
1 thing I really wan't is a 3" screen - perfect video companion (it'd be perfect w/the min 32gb capacity!!!).

Old 08-23-2008, 01:23 PM

Default Customizing UI most imp??

I am a bit surprised at the results.. stuff which bothered me dont seem affect rest.does a wall paper mean so much??? seriously i must have changed my wall paper in my mobile not more than ten times and that too for the novelty...

Most of the time we will be in now playin screen.. customizing that i don think so any player allows it... since this player is flash based i get a feeling that most id3 data is stored as an xml and allowing user customiztion in reading xml files is a NOt all that hard(trust me it seriously is) so removing genre would be cool and easily fixable with a firmware update... but knowing sony there never will be one.. wat u get out of box is wat u get till the end

as for the resume feature after adding files i am not sure if any player can remember. Assuming data is in xml format when rebuilding library all data would have to re written so bettter to lose track of where u were than have cluttered id tags..

Sony are u listeNING???

Old 08-24-2008, 10:40 AM

Get ahold of a D2 (or even a P2) and play around with all the customization....flash skins, themes, wallpapers, completely changing the orientation of the player, etc. and than you might realize how awesome it is to be able to customize the UI. People underestimate the importance of the UI sometimes. It can make or break the enjoyment of a player. Being able to tailor the UI to your wants and needs is very nice.

Old 08-24-2008, 03:57 PM

I have played around with D2 The themes and wall papers are cool no doubt.. my room mate has it and i have played a lot with it.. but the wall paper and theme has not been changed for quiet a few months.. These things are a mere novelty in the long run really..At least tats my opinion..Customizing is cool but does it make or break a player??
I aint sure if Sony would ever put themes in their players.. but sure they can add a wall paper option and maybe a few in built in themes even if not user defined/created themes would be great.

Old 08-24-2008, 05:33 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I have BOTH and each has it's merits. This isn't a comparison thread so please, try to stay focused on the topic. They BOTH kick ass IMO!!!

Old 08-26-2008, 04:03 AM

sorry. i just want to ask something about the proprietary usb cable.
If i have a bluetooth dongle plugged into my laptop, can i use that bluetooth to transfer my songs to Sony NWZ? I dont like wire too much, so i'm thinking to cut wire usage more..

Old 08-26-2008, 08:05 AM

I don't have one of these players, but it seems you can download different background here http://support.sony-europe.com/DNA/D..._GB&m=NWZ-A828

Would still be good if you could customise the background to have it as a photo.

Old 08-26-2008, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_balest View Post
sorry. i just want to ask something about the proprietary usb cable.
If i have a bluetooth dongle plugged into my laptop, can i use that bluetooth to transfer my songs to Sony NWZ? I dont like wire too much, so i'm thinking to cut wire usage more..
No, only Wireless Stereo. Hopefully a BT hack can correct this.

Old 08-26-2008, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian W View Post
I don't have one of these players, but it seems you can download different background here http://support.sony-europe.com/DNA/D..._GB&m=NWZ-A828

Would still be good if you could customise the background to have it as a photo.
These contain .jpgs, and are for computers, not Walkmans (I believe).

Old 08-26-2008, 06:33 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian W View Post

No you can't download backgrounds - these are wallpapers for your computer. I have em' but they're still nice to have though.

Old 08-26-2008, 11:30 PM

Pros: all the reasons above
cons: all the reasons + no OTG playlists/file deletion

Old 08-27-2008, 07:17 AM

Dislikes: Vol. limit, BT SQ via Motorola S705 to either Triple-Fi's or S530's.

The Motorola S705 does not degregrade the (limited) SQ of my PPC-6700 (using the same phones as above) in the manner I've noticed with the 829.

Edit:
Last weekend I connected the 829 via BT to the Motorola S705, and that in to the Aux-in of my car stereo (Fosgate head unit, Clarion EQ Amp, Kicker Speakers). In this mode, the S705 goes thru the Clarion EQ Amp's Aux-in, not thru the head-unit. It sounded awesome. It appears that the 829 BT can truely benefit from being amped.

Last edited by johnston21; 09-03-2008 at 12:51 PM.

Old 08-30-2008, 06:18 AM

i'm in a brink of confusion..
is it worthed for this player.. considering it's premium price..
sigh.

i'm going to the IT show tomorrow. and will grab one of this if i consider it worthed..
however, it's confirmed they dont have special price for the show

sigh (again)

Old 09-01-2008, 10:36 AM

@balest
this is an awesome player for the price.extremly good sq,screen, battery and UI. going for cheaper stuff will cause only regrets in long run

Tags
a728, nwz, sony battery, sony video, walkman