android
Old 08-21-2008, 08:40 PM

Default Short review-the good, and the very bad

So ive had my fuze for about two weeks now-
and up until today it has been the best mp3 player ive ever had!

The Good-
-Great battery Life
If this player is playing say an audiobook or shuffling songs with no backlight, it seems as if it lasts forever!
-Price
Hands down the best value in the market for this capacity
-Microsd
Very quick and great integration
-Shape and Size
Although some people say this is a nano rip off, it really isnt. it isnt smooshed looking, very good design
-sound quality
same as clip. nuff said

heres where it gets ugly

the bad
-lack of acessories
cannot even find a halfway decent slim case for this player, let alone any car or speaker adapters
-DURABILITY!!!!!!!!!-
after looking at the face of my player today, i was absolutley floored. Keep in mind that it spent most of the time in its sleeve that it came with, and was otherwise in a shorts pocket all by itself, not even with the headphones. i was very carefull to set it on its rubberized back, and not its face.

It was COVERED in fine scratches and one large scratch in the screen! from sitting in my pocket by itself! The plastic is like the 1st gen nano/zen vision m breathe on it and its scratched horrible soft plastic!

I deeply regretbuying it now. tome, personally, that is unaceptable. this is truly turning me back to ipods right now. the new players have an unscratchable front and a scratchy back, the opposite of the fuze. Apple is going to have another customer

im shure you think "why not just get a case?"
i personally thought that technology was past this point two years ago. i shouldnt be forced to buy a case just to put this in my pocket, and loose the small form factor.
there are also simply no small cases avaliable.

Do not reccomend this player if you are an average user.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-21-2008, 08:47 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caspa View Post
the bad
-lack of acessories
cannot even find a halfway decent slim case for this player, let alone any car or speaker adapters
Did you know that the e200 dock accessories works on the Fuze?

Old 08-21-2008, 08:56 PM

yes, but lots of them have a e280 series body size cutout around the docking station.

I dont really need a ton of accesories, the main point was the durability. it got me really mad! ha

Old 08-21-2008, 09:10 PM
Ultra Senior Member

By the way, another thing most things will or can get scratches somewhere. So I would get a case for it. That is not an issue for me.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:14 PM

Strangest review I’ve ever read, I find it hard to believe that a few self inflicted scratches drives you to buy an ipod, I wonder if there are ulterior motives as well. What's the ipod sound quality going to drive you to buy or are player looks more important ... good luck

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 08-21-2008, 10:50 PM

if you dont want your fuze, ill take it! i love mine

Old 08-21-2008, 10:56 PM
Ultra Senior Member

i see his point though...i love my Zune cause it takes a dumb action on my part to scratch it...will it scratch? absolutely...but does it scratch if you look at it wrong? nope...and people MURDERED the ipods for this a few years back...and now, it's acceptable cause it's the Fuze? Shouldn't we expect the same out of other companies that we bash Apple for?

Old 08-22-2008, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumx4182 View Post
i see his point though...i love my Zune cause it takes a dumb action on my part to scratch it...will it scratch? absolutely...but does it scratch if you look at it wrong? nope...and people MURDERED the ipods for this a few years back...and now, it's acceptable cause it's the Fuze? Shouldn't we expect the same out of other companies that we bash Apple for?
*WalkGood scratches head* ... Does this mean if you scratch your zune you're buying an ipod

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 08-22-2008, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caspa View Post
-lack of acessories
-DURABILITY!!!!!!!!!-
after looking at the face of my player today, i was absolutley floored. Keep in mind that it spent most of the time in its sleeve that it came with, and was otherwise in a shorts pocket all by itself, not even with the headphones. i was very carefull to set it on its rubberized back, and not its face.

It was COVERED in fine scratches and one large scratch in the screen! from sitting in my pocket by itself! The plastic is like the 1st gen nano/zen vision m breathe on it and its scratched horrible soft plastic!

I deeply regretbuying it now. tome, personally, that is unaceptable. this is truly turning me back to ipods right now. the new players have an unscratchable front and a scratchy back, the opposite of the fuze. Apple is going to have another customer
  • There actually are a decent amount of accessories. Anything that works with the e200 series will work with the Fuze. There are a number of car adapters. DLO has probably the best one. Haven't really looked for speakers, but I've seen a few. There are several dock options as well.
  • There are many neoprene, leather, silicone and hard poly cases for the Fuze. Not sure what else you could want.
  • I'm guessing you did something to your Fuze which you maybe weren't aware of. I also carry mine in my pocket all the time and haven't had any problem with it. It has a few extrememly faint scratches, but you have to look really close to see them. I would say it's well above average for durability, but anything plasic can be scratched.

Old 08-22-2008, 08:26 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
*WalkGood scratches head* ... Does this mean if you scratch your zune you're buying an ipod
no, and while i know you're being facetious cause that's what people do best around here...my point is still sound...scratches happen...but dozens upon hundreds of fine scratches from even the most careful of use is not acceptable. The zune does not do this...but the old Ipod nanos and videos did and they were crucified. Now, the Fuze does and it's acceptable cause it's SanDisk? Not in my book...there's no reason that in 2008, devices can't be scratch resistant, especially for the money we are spending on them.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:25 PM

I've had my Fuze for a few weeks now, and haven't noticed any scratches yet...and I've taken it on travel with me several times. I thought there wouldn't be much in the way of cases, but found a good selection at daydeal.com, so I bought the silicone skin which seems to work nicely. I don't know which color you got, but my 8 gig is a dark gray (they call it silver) which does not show scratches (if there are any).

I know it's a little late, but a small screen protector would probably be the best protection for the screen. My Nintendo DS came with some extras, which I'll be using for the Fuze...might need to trim it down a little though.

Old 08-24-2008, 03:54 AM

For around $5 at Frys or 99 cents at the 99 cent store (for the exact same thing), you can get a sheet of clear protective wrap for the ipod. I just cut out a piece for my screen and I have a screen protector. The sheet is big enough to get about 5 screen protectors. I use this in my Samsung T9 and replace it about once a year. Won't address the scraches on the rest of the unit but at least the screen will be protected.

Old 08-24-2008, 06:36 PM

The most careful use would be to cover it with a skin and screen protector. Anything else is a risk, with the Fuze or any other device in my opinion. Radio Shack sells a Fuze 3-pack of silicone skins for $19.99, and screen protectors are easy to come by. Check if there is a best skin ever for it too (BSE). I have one on a ZVM for almost two years. Great stuff.

Old 08-26-2008, 03:51 AM

That's exactly the combo I have for my Samsung T9. A screen protector and a skin. Has worked great for me. It's nice to be able to throw the thing in the glove box and not worry about scratching it.

Last edited by MP3Man; 08-26-2008 at 03:56 AM.

Old 08-26-2008, 08:23 PM

I gotta throw my 2 cents in here. I've had my Fuze since early April and have had it in a clear plastic case. Have carried it in every pocket, pants, jacket, backpack, suitcase I can think of and it looks as good as new. I go by the old adage...never assume anything when it comes to technology. Protect it like you want to keep it for a long time!
Sansa e260v1 Rockboxed 8GB microsdhc
Sansa Fuze 8GB 16GB microSDHC

Old 08-27-2008, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallstar View Post
I've had my Fuze for a few weeks now, and haven't noticed any scratches yet...and I've taken it on travel with me several times. I thought there wouldn't be much in the way of cases, but found a good selection at daydeal.com, so I bought the silicone skin which seems to work nicely. I don't know which color you got, but my 8 gig is a dark gray (they call it silver) which does not show scratches (if there are any).

I know it's a little late, but a small screen protector would probably be the best protection for the screen. My Nintendo DS came with some extras, which I'll be using for the Fuze...might need to trim it down a little though.
For $4.99 Griffin is selling those nice Reflective cases for the e200's (used to be $20). I bought 2 of them last week.
Sansa e260v1 Rockboxed 8GB microsdhc
Sansa Fuze 8GB 16GB microSDHC