android
Old 08-23-2008, 06:07 PM

Default Thinking Of Getting, Opinions Please

Hi There,

I've recently decided to buy a mp3 player, having never owned one before. The nearest to actually having mp3 is that on my Sony Ericcson mobile phone, this is what I've made do with for on the move.

Now, I've done a fair bit of research on the encoding side, and understand that a higher bitrate is preferable to a lower one, 192 over 128 for instance, or 256 or even 320, using a quality ripper like CDEX with Lame encoding. Further towards aiding receiving quality sound, a good pair of in ear phones really help the show. So now, it comes down to choosing a player.

Currently, I am biased towards the X-fi, as I have a X-fi card in my computer and am familiar with the technolgy. The problem for me is that researching the X-FI has highlighted a bucket-load of issues with the player which people are complaining about, and it is making me think twice before buying. Equally, Ipod receives its fair share of complaints, and I don't really want to go the Ipod route. I'm not too concerned about WIFI or video...just the music playing, so the 8GB version looks to be the player for me.

My question being then is...as a mp3 player user, perhaps even, as a Zen X-FI owner and user, what is your true overall opinion on the quality of the sound of the X-FI? You're not out to convince me to buy, I just want to guage people's satisfaction with the product.

Many Thanks

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-24-2008, 01:33 AM

The X-fi is a great mp3 player, especially if you've never owned one before.

The user interface is simple and screen quality is great. It's a best buy for your money.

Most of the complaints have come towards it's wifi capabilities and SD card intergration. Otherwise, playing music sounds great, and the 16gb and 32gb verisons come with headphones worth $60.

The Cowon D2, as recommended by the guy above who works for Cowon, is a respectable player. I chose this player instead of it and would recommend the same to everyone else.

Old 08-24-2008, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow View Post
Otherwise, playing music sounds great, and the 16gb and 32gb verisons come with headphones worth $60.
According to the Creative US website, the 8gb version comes with the EP-830 earphones as well.
http://us.creative.com/products/prod...ct=17810&nav=4

Old 08-24-2008, 03:39 PM

I love my 32gb X-Fi, and it's the best priced player in its storage class. I was also searching for a replacement to my old mp3 player since about March of this year, and I knew I couldn't settle for anything less than 32gb flash, I almost pulled the trigger on the normal Zen, but the white screen of death issues kept me away from those, I also almost bit the bullet and ordered the 32gb ipod touch (which costs 450 bucks, yikes) but luckily for me these new X-Fi Zens came out and I knew it was time to buy.

I don't care about movies on an MP3 player (I use my PSP for that), so I can't comment on that aspect. But as far as music goes, the X-Fi is a homerun. I don't use the X-Fi processing, because I think all post processing is useless IMO, I use the 5 band equalizer and the SQ from the X-Fi is noticeably better than my Samsung Z5.

The player is easy to add music too via drag and drop, and album art syncs painlessly using the Creative Centrale software. Playlisting is also a snap, and can even be easily edited and created on your PC via the Creative explorer. The external speaker also comes in handy from time to time and the FM radio works perfect for me on my local channels (great for jogging).

Wifi I also don't care about, but there are some pretty cool streaming possibilities with the X-Fi, and hopefully they'll add more features in the future via firmware (web browsing maybe?).

At first it took some getting use to the button layout on the X-Fi since it was somehwat different from my Z5, but now it's second nature, it's easy to use while driving and in your pocket (after a little practice).

My player currently has 11 gigs of music on it and i've got 19 left, I would highly suggest getting the 32gb version, mine was only 250 from amazon. The 16gb D2 is already 220, and I prefer button based players over touchscreens. Also pick up the Creative silicon skin, it fits like a glove and really improves the players feel and the effectiveness of the buttons.

All in all you would not be dissapointed with this player after a week of using it, and if you are, just buy it somewhere with a 30 day return policy and there's no risk. I think too many people get caught up in wanting an mp3 player to be great at everything, when the most important aspect (to me at least) is the music. You can always buy an Ipod touch if you want superior movie playback and wifi, but then again ipods never have had the best sound quality IMO so thats a sacrifice you have to make for something like that.

Hope this was helpful.

Old 08-24-2008, 04:42 PM

I dont see how the chat is useless, the other day i was in a pub/ restaurant with wi-fi. I signed on and could chat to a couple of mates. I know its not as painless as it could be to type the messages but its not gonna make me regret buying the player. Its just a cool extra feature, not the focal selling point. I'd also like to add i've not tried the cowon nor do I have any intentions of slating it. I do enjoy moving about my house and streaming some videos from my computer or the odd song I want to try out before I add it to the player. I don't think its a question of out perfoming but just what you want out of the player. For example if the longer lasting battery is your thing then thats cool consider a cowon, if the wi-fi sounds like something you'd enjoy (and lets be honest you buy something like this to enjoy) then go for the x-fi. I'm very happy with my player so far and the only thing I don't like about it is the software (which is awful I thought) but even then I quickly found out about media monkey and its drag and drop so the software is really just an option. I would like to see a browser added (although for some reason i doubt we will ever see it - hope im wrong) but I bought it with the full knowledge that it didn't have one. TVersity with the player opens up a few options that made me appreciate the player (and the Tversity software) even more.

And on a re-read of the question you meant SQ of the player not overall. I'm satisfied with the quality of sound, exactly what I expected from an mp3 player, the X-fi feature seems to work well on some songs and sounds better without on others, which is handy then that it is assigned to the shortcut button by default.

Last edited by jdparkin; 08-25-2008 at 05:25 AM. Reason: To answer question better

Old 08-24-2008, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akarol View Post
Lol, shadow. If I worked for Cowon, I wouldn't bother spending my time chatting in these message boards. I would be working with my team to bring out another revolutionary player. I just think its rather sleazy of Creative to falsely advertise a player with the X-Fi tag (their promotional video even has a chip on the background while mentioning the X-Fi feature). Didn't really sit well with me.

Some of the pros and cons of the D2 over the X-Fi are as follows:

Pros:

- Superior battery life (50+ hours to X-Fi's maybe 25 hours)
- Out of the box sound quality (slightly better, but when BBE comes into play it is way better)
- SD integration is seamless (X-Fi's is useless. For $120 more you can get a 32GB PNY SD card and triple your player's capacity to 48GB)
- Customization (there are tons of tweaks out there, from adding gapless ability to themes, to improve your experience with the player)
- Boot up time
- Hold button (the hold button on the D2 is accessible and effective at its job. The X-Fi's is too hard to get to)
- Stability (the D2 has not crashed one in almost a week of usage. The X-Fi crashed almost daily)
- TV in/output (really neat feature and a grat way to take your movie library in a convenient fashion)
- Headphone jack on the left side (this is really nice for anyone who is right-handed. I found that the X-Fi's headphone jack got in the way of operating it. This is purely subjective though)

Cons:

- The included headphones can't compare to the ones included with the X-Fi.
- Form factor (the X-Fi is slightly slimmer than the D2 and IMO, the slimmer the better)
- Tactile buttons (having tactile buttons are essential to operation of the player in your pockets. However, I found that the X-Fi's numerous buttons made it hard to identify the right button to press without looking)
- Shortcut button (I loved this feature. Being able to assign your shortcut key to play a random song out of the library was very useful as I was able to play a specific song and then, at the click of a button, resume to my predominant shuffle mode)
- Wi-Fi (even though I rarely used this feature, I could see some good uses of TV streaming. The chat feature, however, is useless and nothing more than a gimmick)

All in all, the X-Fi is not a bad player, but anyone that thinks it can outperform the D2 is just in denial. I have owned both players, albeit for a short period of time, and feel that my opinions are quite valid. You be the judge.

If you are in the UK I would say go for the x-fi. if not, if its cheaper then go for the x-fi as do you really need a touch screen.......lets face it the D2 stylus is a bit cheap as its also used as a stand.....so if you are using it as a stand then its 'hello finger prints on the screen'......

and....we know about akarol's leanings and I think he is trying to confuse you by hie list of pros and cons......this is a creative chat not a d2 chat so he should list the pros of the x-fi first not the cons

so here are my x-fi pros and cons

X-Fi pros

good ear buds

small (not much bigger than the sansa I am replacing)

good screen

sounds ok (if it sounds ok, why do you anything else. Or are you really going to use it in a sound proof room....or are you going to use it somewhere where there is loads of ambient sound!!)

wifi - if you want to use it

battery life isnt too bad......with some expensive players you won't get more that 10 hours

I would say that the lack of SD integration with the library is a good thing as I have moved from a sansa e200 which used to take ages to update with a microsd card in.....I also don't care....if I want something different then I will pop in a card and listen to what is on it....I can then take it out and put something else on

hold button is as accessible as the D2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cons

small buttons.....but I would rather have small buttons than the touch sensative wheel of an ipod or a touch screen which could get scratched over time due to the stylus

anything else is just add-ons, do you really need?:

- Customization (there are tons of tweaks out there, from adding gapless ability to themes, to improve your experience with the player)

I want something that plays mp3s....I am not going to spend time on the 'experience' .... thats just mumbo jumbo

Old 08-24-2008, 06:22 PM

SD integration would be nice, but it also has its downsides. You take a hit on battery life doing this, so if you're using a 16gb D2 and have half your files on another 16gb card, your battery is gonna suffer. That's why I like the 32gb Zen, if I ever come to the day that's full, I will probably just update to a higher capacity player thats out at that time.

I don't plan on ever using the SD slot unless I need to transport some files or something, as that's a handy way to do that. The best selling players don't even have an SD slot (Ipods) so I don't get the big deal, unless you're trying to be cheap by not buying the capacity of player you really need.

Old 08-24-2008, 06:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfektSound View Post
SD integration would be nice, but it also has its downsides. You take a hit on battery life doing this, so if you're using a 16gb D2 and have half your files on another 16gb card, your battery is gonna suffer. That's why I like the 32gb Zen, if I ever come to the day that's full, I will probably just update to a higher capacity player thats out at that time.

I don't plan on ever using the SD slot unless I need to transport some files or something, as that's a handy way to do that. The best selling players don't even have an SD slot (Ipods) so I don't get the big deal, unless you're trying to be cheap by not buying the capacity of player you really need.
I don't understand how that makes any sense. The only difference in performance from SD compared to the internal memory is on boot up time where it goes from 2 to 7 seconds. Other than that, there has been no mention of less battery life while using SD. Besides, don't even mention battery life when comparing the X-Fi to the D2. You guys are just trying to defend a feature that you lack. SD integration is perhaps the most important feature a MP3 can have. It keeps the capacity ever-expanding and allows you to organize your videos, music, pictures in the most portable of ways.

Old 08-24-2008, 07:08 PM

I can't get the chat to work apparently.It just can't connect to my wireless network but the podcast thru my wireless works

Weird

Old 08-24-2008, 07:08 PM

Quote:
I don't understand how that makes any sense. The only difference in performance from SD compared to the internal memory is on boot up time where it goes from 2 to 7 seconds. Other than that, there has been no mention of less battery life while using SD. Besides, don't even mention battery life when comparing the X-Fi to the D2. You guys are just trying to defend a feature that you lack. SD integration is perhaps the most important feature a MP3 can have. It keeps the capacity ever-expanding and allows you to organize your videos, music, pictures in the most portable of ways.
30 hours compared to 50 hours isnt a big difference and I find 30 hours is enough.With computers everywhere these days its impossible to have no access to a computer within 50 hours

"yawns" another D2 owns thread!

Old 08-24-2008, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Lol, shadow. If I worked for Cowon, I wouldn't bother spending my time chatting in these message boards. I would be working with my team to bring out another revolutionary player. I just think its rather sleazy of Creative to falsely advertise a player with the X-Fi tag (their promotional video even has a chip on the background while mentioning the X-Fi feature). Didn't really sit well with me.

Some of the pros and cons of the D2 over the X-Fi are as follows:

Pros:

- Superior battery life (50+ hours to X-Fi's maybe 25 hours)
- Out of the box sound quality (slightly better, but when BBE comes into play it is way better)
- SD integration is seamless (X-Fi's is useless. For $120 more you can get a 32GB PNY SD card and triple your player's capacity to 48GB)
- Boot up time
- Hold button (the hold button on the D2 is accessible and effective at its job. The X-Fi's is too hard to get to)
- Stability (the D2 has not crashed one in almost a week of usage. The X-Fi crashed almost daily)
- TV in/output (really neat feature and a grat way to take your movie library in a convenient fashion)
- Headphone jack on the left side (this is really nice for anyone who is right-handed. I found that the X-Fi's headphone jack got in the way of operating it. This is purely subjective though)

Cons:

- The included headphones can't compare to the ones included with the X-Fi.
- Form factor (the X-Fi is slightly slimmer than the D2 and IMO, the slimmer the better)
- Tactile buttons (having tactile buttons are essential to operation of the player in your pockets. However, I found that the X-Fi's numerous buttons made it hard to identify the right button to press without looking)
- Shortcut button (I loved this feature. Being able to assign your shortcut key to play a random song out of the library was very useful as I was able to play a specific song and then, at the click of a button, resume to my predominant shuffle mode)
- Wi-Fi (even though I rarely used this feature, I could see some good uses of TV streaming. The chat feature, however, is useless and nothing more than a gimmick)

All in all, the X-Fi is not a bad player, but anyone that thinks it can outperform the D2 is just in denial. I have owned both players, albeit for a short period of time, and feel that my opinions are quite valid. You be the judge.
At first, I need to say that I do not have an X-Fi. But I wonder what is your reference while comparing X-Fi's sound with the D2's. I wonder, because I have tried/owned most of the players, and Trekstor Vibez which I find the best does not crash a Zen Vision:M. Or the same for an A818. But I agree that they are better than a ZV:M or a Zen Touch [I will have an X-Fi after 2 weeks]. And I need to say that again, I do not like Cowon's lifeless and cold sound. And the jetEffects etc are completely useless to me as an audiophile. Yes, it depends on the person but the graphics about Cowon D2 confirm my ideas [low mids, high bass and highs - like an EQ but its NonEQ sound].

Briefly [and its my advice for the friend who asks], look at the earphones if you use the player with the stock earphones. Zen X-Fi can not be worse than D2. It has a high quality headphone as a stock one. Its enough for the X-Fi to beat the D2 in terms of SQ.

And the battery life of the D2 was not 50hours in our tests with my friends. It was between 30 and 40hours, and between 20-30 with some lossless tracks. You're complainer of very little things for the Zen X-Fi, but I could not see that you inspected D2 with the same perspective. Maybe you can talk about the wrong shuffle mode of D2 which plays the same songs after 3-4 tracks in a huge playlist. This is a little problem for me [like the drawbacks of the Zen X-Fi except SD card integration stupidity] but you look like a person who gives "so much" importance to the details of the players. Or resolution limits may create another problem, try an A3 then . Or maybe some people dont want to use both of their hands while using the player [a touchscreen forces that]. You can find countless drawbacks if you want, but you do not.

Xennon, thanks!

Last edited by Xennon; 08-24-2008 at 09:16 PM.

Old 08-25-2008, 01:08 AM
Samsung Moderator

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=33718

See this? This is the nice new X-Fi vs. Cowon D2 thread I just made and put all your posts in. Please redirect that line of chat there. Thanks very much

Old 08-25-2008, 07:14 AM

Hi There,

Many thanks to everyone whom took the trouble to reply, including Akarol for the alternative.

Ultimately, I will be buying on sound quality, and of course, that requires the integration/combination of a chain of variables to achieve said quality: good encoding, quality ear phones (at a reasonable price), and a player that provides the foundation and storage of the music at a level of playback quality to do the phones justice.

To be honest, I tend to be a bit of a 'minimalist'. I rarely buy a product for its superfluous add-ons, but always concentrate on its initial purpose, which for the mp3 player, is the playing of music. As time goes by, products evolve not so much through continued innovation, but more through converging technologies and entertainment formats. I personally, do not see the point of watching 'video' on a screen whose small size cannot convey the enrichness of experience that a larger screen can offer? I do not want to pay for the 'shrinking' of experience, but for its 'expansion'.

As for WIFI, this technology will be excellent once coverage is country-wide, and not dependent upon 'hotspots' as it currently is; so at the moment, I do perceive it as being superfluous to my needs. I believe mobile/cell phone companies could certainly play a part in the country-wide roll-out of this technology, but will of course want to be initial providers to maximise profit potential. Once this technology becomes country-wide, I see no point in the need to include radio, as what can be gained from radio, could equally be gained from WIFI.
I like the fact that Creative have given the the consumer a choice to be quasi-minimalist by offering the Zen X-FI without WIFI, but have done so at the expense of storage capacity. I'd have liked to have seen 32Gb without WIFI and other superfluous add-ons - such as the SD card expansion (the inclusion of which seems pointless), and to have seen the extra room for engineering to go into the provision of providing a high quality sounding player of music. Convergence of technologies for convenience is fine as long as it does not lead to the compromising of the product's initial purpose to play quality sounding music.

Once again, I thank everyone for your responses. I will be buying the 8Gb X-FI tomorrow and, if I am not happy with the EP 830s, I'll also go for a pair of Sennheiser CX 95 ear phones.

Best wishes all

Old 08-25-2008, 09:46 AM

Nice, do not forget to upgrade the firmware for a better Crystalizer performance

Old 08-25-2008, 10:52 AM
Banned

Good choice for the money. Wi-Fi is too immature on the X-Fi at the moment, not worth the extra dough if capacity is not a main concern.

Old 08-25-2008, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Nice, do not forget to upgrade the firmware for a better Crystalizer performance
Quote:
Good choice for the money. Wi-Fi is too immature on the X-Fi at the moment, not worth the extra dough if capacity is not a main concern.
Roger that! Over 'n' out!

Old 08-28-2008, 08:41 AM

Default Zen X-FI 8Gb A Personal Opinion...

Hi There,

I've now spent 48 hours with Creative's Zen X-FI 8Gb Player, and I thought to give an somewhat generalistic, but personal opinion.

Without hesitation I would recommend this product...it is a wonderful player! However, I need to contextualize the preceding statement by emphazing that it is the first mp3 player that I have actually owned. Nevertheless, I am happy with my purchase, especially that I have now come to grips with the interface, and learning how to use the sub-menus, and accidently finding out how to get the better sound out of it.

My initial impression was one of unsureness. Having no other mp3 reference by which to gauge it against, I could not (and cannot yet) pit it against other players out there. So, my reference was (and is) based upon the confidence I felt/feel in opting for this particular brand and player. Such confidence grew over the two days I have currently had it in my mitts. I am happy with my purchase, and in the end, that is what we seek when buying any product.

Depending upon one's own aesthetic preferences, the Zen X-FI is a good looking player. Small and compact, with its dual-toned light and dark combination of silver and night, it is a handsome little devil. If Creative were to make this player available in other (perhaps brighter) colour combinations, it might appeal to the female consumer, because this product's 'cool' factor is certainly there, but needs coaxing out.

I bought the X-FI at Currys for 99-00, but could not buy the leather carry pouch as Currys did not stock it. I also had a look for the CX 95 Sennheiser in-ear phones, but again Currys did not stock this item either (in fact, I could not find this item in any store within a 100 mile radius, except in being able to order it...and I am not one for ordering things, but for going into a store and purchasing it over the counter. It's a little idiosyncracy of mine).

Once out of the box, you are instructed to 'charge' the battery by connecting the USB cable to the player and computer (note: do not connect the player until you have first installed the software on the little mini cd) and to allow at least 4 hours charging time prior to using it. This I did. Rather than use the incredibly short USB cable that came with the player, I bought myself a Belkin USB 2.0 cable for 25-00, having gold terminals and cold blue lights on either end...it's a quality cable.
During the charging period, you are able to transfer media to your player through either the Creative Centrale software, or to simply 'drag and drop' items into the player through Windows Explorer...where the player shows up as a temporary drive entitled 'My Zen'.

Once the four hour charging time had passed, I connected the creative Ep 830 in-ear phones which are bundled with the player. Now here is where I show my gormlessness, because I replaced the medium-sized rubber-tips with the smaller sized ones. The sound was extremely bright and sibilant, lacking the canvas of bass foundation. It was splashy and thin, conveying only the higher-mids and highs...I was certainly not pleased with the sonics.
I switched to my larger Sennheiser HD 250s, and the sound did improve, but I could hardly use these things on the street or bus, or at work. So I decided there and then that the EP 830s are crap, and that better phones were needed.
Anyway, the next day I replaced the medium-sized rubber-tips I had replaced with the smaller ones. Oh dear! what a revelation! Where did all this bass come from? Obviously, I had been using the wrong size of rubber-tip on the phones, and not getting the correct 'seal' to my ears. Doh!
Tinkering with the sound adjustments of the player, I felt that the custom EQ setting was the best for mine own preferences. I did not like the X-FI emulation, nor the X-FI expand. In fact, I feel these emulations are not required at all, the five band equalizer doing the job just fine. Nevertheless, I still feel the EP 830s only intimate what can be gained from this player, so while I put up with what they can produce for now, I will be investing in a higher calibre pair of in-ear phones in the future, either Super.FI Pros, or Shure. Knowing now that the sound quality I bought this player for is there, both a confidence and smile is on my face...on the sonics side I am more than happy with my purchase.

The other inclusions on the Zen X-FI are equally good. The photo display is brilliant! The radio is good with excellent reception, and I've preset 5 stations into the memory, and that's from someone who hardly listens to radio. I've not had chance to check out the video capabilities of the player, as this is something I'm not really too concerned with. The memory storage will be spent (by me at least) on storing music and images.

So, all in all, from mine own perspective, I can recommend this product to anyone whom is looking to buy a new player. At the least, it should be on your short list. This is a player that grows on you. The more you get to grips with it, the more it shines. Couple it with a quality pair of in-ear phones to gain the sonic balance between bass, mid and high, and you definitely have a winner!

Would I go for the 16 or 32GB with WIFI? Not yet I wouldn't! Once WIFI becomes country-wide, then certainly I would, but until then, I personally could not justify the extra expense. If the player was available for 16 or 32 GB without WIFI...well, I'd buy it in a flash! (pun unintended)

Best wishes

Old 08-28-2008, 09:44 AM

Nice to hear someone who is very satisfied with the x-fi. Congrats with your puchase!

A friend of mine bought an 8gb X-fi as well, and today I got to play with it. I really am impressed. It looks really good in real, even better than I expected. Sound was great as well, even though the X-fi functionality didn't improve the sound as much as my X-fi soundcard did.

Old 08-28-2008, 09:57 AM

Yeh its a great little player. Don't think anyone is overly impressed with the X-Fi feature, at best on some songs its interesting, not better.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:32 PM

I received my Zen one week ago and I like it after Zen Vision:M. The SQ is top notch, nothing to say for the unproccessed sound. Its balanced and clear enough [lesser hiss sound after the A818 with less bass, and more powerful and clearly better highs after ZV:M].

X-Fi is an arguable issue on the Zen but its obviously like the real Crystalizer, which is not always successful. So many people blame it because its an emulation but I do not know what they were looking for. Crystalizer is only an option that may be successful with 160kbps or lesser kbps [if you dont love imbalanced and sharp details]. I generally [9/10] prefer unproccessed sound but I use Crystalizer for the minority which is 128kbps and it generally makes the music better. It is a good option for the majority of the users [everyone does not use LAME codec 320kbps or 320kbps AAC ]. And it does not ruin the music when it can not improve the details [you'll listen something very similar to NonEQ sound if it does not bring in something] .

WiFi is only an extra, nothing more. Its very easy to download something from the pc and that is enough.

Interface, FM radio, microphone, controls, settings etc. are always the same with the older ones as you know. Nothing wrong with them for me. I only miss the touchpad, it was less tiring [yet less stable]. The speaker and earphones [they're excellent for the price of the player] are nice new extras.

The build quality is also better, as it was mentioned in the ABI review. Zen X-Fi looks more serious and qualified.

Its the best Creative player [especially with the battery life] unless you are a capacity lover. It deserves its price.

Thanks!

Last edited by Xennon; 09-10-2008 at 07:38 PM.