android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen X-Fi

Old 10-21-2008, 04:16 AM

Default Zen Xfi 8Gb appreciation thread!

Well, I finally did it, I left the Ipod world and chose a Zen X fi 8Gb over the new ipod nano chromatic.

I am truly amazed with the quality of the Zen. I mostly watch tv shows on it and a couple of dvd rips. I use it on the bus everyday going to uni, its a very cool tool. The headphones are AMAZING too.

I use virtual dub set to xvid and 320 x 240 and get amazing results in picture quality. I love the fact it appears as a hard drive and Itunes can now go to hell and back.

Thanks creative for a fabulous little toy.........best 100 I ever spent.

My partner has the classic ipod and its a nightmare making everything in to H264 (uugghh) good old zen takes an Xvid or Divx or wmv. Evrything I download arrives in avi and just needs a quick resize in Vdub... how easy is that!

Have you got one of these little treasures?.. if so share you joy in this thread!

Have a nice day.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-21-2008, 09:32 AM

I've got the X-Fi 8 GB, too since last week and I also appreciate the good TFT display and the in-ear headphones (although the old EP-630 weren't really worse). I'm gonna plan to encode divx movies later on but I'm afraid that watching videos sucks too much battery in long term

Old 10-21-2008, 09:56 AM

Default Impressions about the X-Fi technology

So I wanna know how Zen X-Fi users think about the X-Fi sound. Describe your own audio experiences while listening your favourable genre. What are your settings? (format, bitrate, loudness level of the player...)

I find that my preferring genre (Rock, Metal, Hardcore [Punk]) benifits from the X-Fi Crystalizer. The drums sounds much more lively and clean so does the whole acoustic spectrum. Maybe sometimes the bass should be a bit more present beneath the drum attacks but ok

Settings are:

X-Fi Crystalizer @ max.
X-Fi Expander @ off
Creative EP-830
mp3s mostly static @ 192 kbs - 320 [maybe vbrs sounds even better?]
loudness level 17/18 for full listen enjoyment
1.04.08 Firmware

Old 10-21-2008, 12:41 PM

every kind of music (electronic, rock, pop, etc) i tried with x-fi sounds (imho) worse than without. i tried different firmwares but nothing really changed.

i'm using the ep-830 too, and of course i'm still trying (and hoping) to get any "better sound" but every time i give the x-fi feature another shot (with our without activated equalizer), i'm surprised how much better the sound without it is.

i'm just using the "pop"-setting in equalizer instead. Sounds much better. Bitrate of my mp3s is 256kbit cbr.

I don't really have to mention the "expand"-feature, 'cause it "expands" really nothing, you only get a ugly tubby sound instead....

loudness is about 15

Old 10-29-2008, 02:45 AM

I would say the crystallizer makes the music sound better now. The expand seems to work more for videos. Tried it on a few videos and it sounded pretty nice

Old 12-05-2008, 08:26 PM

Default Thinking of buying an X-Fi

Recentle I got my Samsung YP-T10 Stolen at school. It was the best MP3 ever (Bluetooth/DNSE 2.0/ETC).

Now I'm moving on to bigger screen MP3's.

I was thinking of buying the X-Fi.

I've read a couple of threads of "Power Downs" & "Firmware" Problems.

I't just makes me wonder is this MP3 Player reliable.

Then thought if I bought it at Bestbuy I could just buy warrenty.

So guys should I buy this MP3 and is it reliable (It won't reak down on me?)

And another question.

Does the wifi. let you go on the internet like www.anythingbutipod.com? or google.ca? Or does it just let you chat and search Media Files. ?

Thanks for Reading I really need some answers

Old 12-05-2008, 08:33 PM

I beleive it doesnt let u browse the internet... But I am not that sure

Old 12-05-2008, 10:24 PM

Good choice.
The Zen X-Fi is a great device. It's sound quality and many features make up for it's fragile design, and not so good features.
The zen X-fi has Wi-fi if you buy the 16 GB. The 16GB is the ONLY one that has Wi-fi, if you get a 8 GB, it won't have it.
It comes with great headphones.
One downfall is that the controls are REALLY small and VERY fragile. I wouldn't recommend it for people with large fingers. It's a hassle.

Overall, I would probably get it.
It has many features (Not well-rounded, but still.) , Speakers, Preminum headphones, and a awesome screen with 16.7 million colours.
The price is quite inexpensive also.
I would recommend it.

SELLING ZuneHD16GB.
.....'perfect condition'....

Old 12-06-2008, 12:48 AM

Yeah, Thanks

I'm probably gonna buy it on Christmas.

Canada retails it for 139.99 + tax 13%

I'm just gonna get he 8GB.

I don't need the internet because you can't browse so I can just use my PSP XD

Old 12-06-2008, 07:57 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The wi-fi is NOT for internet browsing, FYI. Just thought you might like to know that, as well as the fact that the 16 & 32gb models have the wi-fi feature. Not just the 16gb model.

Old 12-06-2008, 11:28 AM

do note that, though the WIFI feature is just a little more than a gimmick, it is not available in the 8gb version (i didnt realize until after i purchased it online).

Also, I had tough time getting it recognized on my pc and the player would not turn on sometimes (I have just had this player for 3 days now).

BTW, I have ordered cowon d2 8gb from amazon for 129$, after going through its reviews and most importantly because of it being one of the 'editor choices' at anythingbutipod (moreover it has a touchscreen,(hopefully) better SD card integration and proven battery life of 50+hrs). I will be giving away my creative player to my mom, if the player works any better that it is now.

Old 12-06-2008, 11:37 AM
Off-Topic Moderator

You will get mixed reviews of the X-FI, some very negative, and some very positive. I suggest wherever you purchase it from, make sure you can return it if you are unhappy with it.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:30 PM

the x-fi might have some annoyances and bugs but the x-fi is potentially great player. Compared to the cowon d2, it may not seem like much right now. Hopefully creative will listen to our suggestions and make this a better player.

Old 12-08-2008, 05:53 PM

Default X-fi, user recommendations?

Hello, my first post here.

I was contemplating purchasing an X-fi and have been getting many mixed signals from people, some people say it's damn fantastic and others say that it's okay and not all that great.

I am a current user of one of the earlier 60gb Creative Zen Vision M, the ones that were alot chunkier, and so far i've never had any problems with it and i've had it for well over a year. I am a bit of a technophile and sometimes I just want to buy some new piece of technology just for the sake of it and currently I have an urge to get a new portable music player. What's mainly putting me off about the X-fi is the relatively small space (compared to my filled 60gb) and the lack of SD integration. I suppose my question is the sound quality so good that it's really worth the upgrade or is it best to wait until my faithful Vision M has seen the end of it's days to upgrade to something superior even to the X-fi? This may seem like a no-brainer to some, but I have doubts and i'd like to either dismiss or confirm them before I fork out any cash for a new player.

I currently use Sony Mdre755 Earphones which are the best i've found for headphones under 8, I tend to use up headphones pretty quickly so I can't really afford expensive ones.

Old 12-09-2008, 09:14 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Thread merged with existing thread. There have been a lot of these types of posts lately. I merged them all and made it thread a sticky thread.

Zen FAQ

Old 12-17-2008, 10:13 AM

Hey guys,
I have a few issues with what people state as a complain.

1. SD integration:
What do you need that for? If you already have 32 gigs on your player, it is a rare possibility that you would require anything further, and even if you do somehow, you'll fill your slot with an 8gb card, which would have movies and music? Would t be THAT BIG A PAIN IN THE ARSE to browse through it? After all your major content is on your player already!

2. Buttons:
Personally I've never had a problem with the buttons, my fingers move pretty naturally with them, its just 4 way direction pad at the basic level!
Up, down, right & left, that's about it.

3. X-Fi Audio:
Setting it at max obviously makes the songs sound as if someone was pinching them with a knife in the butts, but otherwise, when i compare the sound with X-fi on VS X-fi turned of, I can almost experience heaven and hell down under.

Besides I see no reason why people go about fighting and ranting huge lots of stuff, trying to prove THEIR MP3 IS BETTER.

IMO every Mp3 player is build for specific target audience, if you own something, it does not necessarily mean its better than other things, but at least its BEST FOR YOU, and thats all you should care about.

But then, there is an obvious possibility that my opinions would differ from that of others, so different thoughst are always welcome!

Old 12-17-2008, 10:45 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunglePimp View Post
1. SD integration:
What do you need that for? If you already have 32 gigs on your player, it is a rare possibility that you would require anything further, and even if you do somehow, you'll fill your slot with an 8gb card, which would have movies and music? Would t be THAT BIG A PAIN IN THE ARSE to browse through it? After all your major content is on your player already!
For expansion of course. My 32GB Zen is full. Many others I know, have 100's of GB's of files. 32GB is no where need what they need. It just barely fits all of my files. When the ID3 tags get integrated, it is easier for playlists, bookmarks, resume playback, sorting, etc... I want all of my content to fit on the internal storage and have the external storage have the same feature set.

Quote:
2. Buttons:
Personally I've never had a problem with the buttons, my fingers move pretty naturally with them, its just 4 way direction pad at the basic level!
Up, down, right & left, that's about it.
My biggest complaint with the Zen X-Fi. I HATE those buttons. Either my fingers are too big or the buttons are too small. I'll take a control pad over them any day. They make using the Zen X-Fi almost impossible for me. Have you ever used the pad on the regular Zen or used it enough to get used to it? When you do, switching to the buttons are cumbersome.

Quote:
3. X-Fi Audio:
Setting it at max obviously makes the songs sound as if someone was pinching them with a knife in the butts, but otherwise, when i compare the sound with X-fi on VS X-fi turned of, I can almost experience heaven and hell down under.
Yes, to each his own.... No where enough of an "improvement" to be considered an upgrade over the regular Zen, IMO.

Zen FAQ

Old 12-30-2008, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n00kie View Post
So I wanna know how Zen X-Fi users think about the X-Fi sound. Describe your own audio experiences while listening your favourable genre. What are your settings? (format, bitrate, loudness level of the player...)

I find that my preferring genre (Rock, Metal, Hardcore [Punk]) benifits from the X-Fi Crystalizer. The drums sounds much more lively and clean so does the whole acoustic spectrum. Maybe sometimes the bass should be a bit more present beneath the drum attacks but ok

Settings are:

X-Fi Crystalizer @ max.
X-Fi Expander @ off
Creative EP-830
mp3s mostly static @ 192 kbs - 320 [maybe vbrs sounds even better?]
loudness level 17/18 for full listen enjoyment
1.04.08 Firmware
I have found this too but unless i'm listening to iron maiden i keep it off.
The original firmware my x-fi came with made x-fi sound vastly different

Old 12-30-2008, 11:10 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWafflesMonster View Post
The original firmware my x-fi came with made x-fi sound vastly different
Yeah I believe Creative has manipulated the X-Fi sound with each firmware release.

Zen FAQ

Old 12-30-2008, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
For expansion of course. My 32GB Zen is full. Many others I know, have 100's of GB's of files. 32GB is no where need what they need. It just barely fits all of my files. When the ID3 tags get integrated, it is easier for playlists, bookmarks, resume playback, sorting, etc... I want all of my content to fit on the internal storage and have the external storage have the same feature set.

My biggest complaint with the Zen X-Fi. I HATE those buttons. Either my fingers are too big or the buttons are too small. I'll take a control pad over them any day. They make using the Zen X-Fi almost impossible for me. Have you ever used the pad on the regular Zen or used it enough to get used to it? When you do, switching to the buttons are cumbersome.
Yes, to each his own.... No where enough of an "improvement" to be considered an upgrade over the regular Zen, IMO.

Hah I have a 16+8gb, and I have 1+8gb still empty , although I have around 750 songs, and like 15 movies. Having more space is
like...

To each their own yeah I haven't used the buttons of a normal zen I certainly have seen them, no doubt they must be more comfortable, but you might be having problems because you use other media players as well, which I don't. Agreed, if I have small nails, it gets a little hard, but let the one on the thumb grow a little, you're pretty fine with it.

Of course not, but in patches, one might say "considerable improvement".

Last edited by JunglePimp; 12-30-2008 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Quote Problem