android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen X-Fi

Old 01-05-2009, 08:41 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunglePimp View Post
Just as I say...we keep wanting more.
I didn't really want more until I needed more. 32GB was fine for about a year. My collection has grown faster then I predicted and now, I am way over. So, since the next sequence in flash memory storage capacity is usually 64GB..... That would fit my needs just fine.

Zen FAQ

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-06-2009, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
I didn't really want more until I needed more. 32GB was fine for about a year. My collection has grown faster then I predicted and now, I am way over. So, since the next sequence in flash memory storage capacity is usually 64GB..... That would fit my needs just fine.
There is a lot of dump that people don't listen to or can do without (or even watch, and can do without watching).

The whole point is, when you can have it, then why would you not?

I would not mind having another slice of pizza, no matter how full I already was!

Last edited by BobbyRS; 01-06-2009 at 09:04 AM.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:17 AM
Ultra Senior Member

If that were the case JP, no one would even "need" an audio player. Need is defined by each individual differently. Just because you have no need to have that high of a capacity, doesn't mean others won't or may never eventually get there. I always recommend for when someone is buying a new player, if finances permit, get the next highest capacity model to what you were considering. Just about everyone I know eventually ends up regretting not doing so if they do not. Storage capacity and the implementation of external storage expansion are a huge deciding factor for many looking to purchase.

Zen FAQ

Old 03-06-2009, 08:12 PM

Default Just got an X-Fi, first impressions...

I'll keep this first post focused on the X-Fi as much as I can. I'll leave comparisons to other players for later posts.

Sound quality
I always try to give this disclaimer before talking about SQ: I'm not an audiophile - frankly, I'm not sure it makes a lot of difference to me.

Anyway, I think the player sounds great! Without the X-Fi enhancements it sounds great and with them turned on it sounds even better. I'm especially a fan of the "X-Fi Expand" option, it makes the music sound like it's all around me instead of in my head. I wouldn't be surprised if all the option does is play the music out of phase though. One way or another, I like it. The "Cristalizer" also makes the music sound better... to me. I switched it on and off trying to figure out what I might be losing by using the feature but I couldn't figure it out. For now it's staying on.

The headphones that is comes with really are "better"! I bought myself a pair of Sennheiser CX-400s and compared them back and forth. One way or another the Creative EP-830s sound better to me... more bass specifically, maybe other frequencies too. I'll confess that I sorta hoped they wouldn't be better as that way I could sell them to a friend or something; it's going to be hard trying to sell the Sennheiser IEMs now.

One more thing, I compared the X-Fi to my Nokia N95 (which most people agree sounds pretty bad). It definitely sounds better than the N95. I did the same comparison between my N95 and a Sansa Fuze, but COULDN'T detect a difference in quality... I should note that the phone vs. X-Fi comparison was done using the Creative IEMs while the phone vs. Fuze comparison was done using the Sennheiser IEMs. Hopefully the Fuze would sound better using the EP-830s?

Oh yeah, the built in speaker. It's, uh, OK. It's pretty quiet. I guess it might be loud enough to play while riding in a car, but I have my doubts. My N95 gets down right loud but when it's put up against road noise it's sometimes not loud enough.

UI / Menus
As a former Zen Vision:M owner I was looking forward to having the same UI again! I was also looking forward to not having to fuss with the touch pad any more (I found it to be unreliable/inaccurate). I am glad to say that for the most part the menu system is the same. One thing that has changed though is the X-Fi seems very slow. There is a pretty decent lag just moving between the options on the main menu... that's inexcusable. All the menus seem slow. Creative should be ashamed.

I'm glad Creative makes their menus editable! I plan to take many of the options out of the list. For instance, I will probably never listen to the radio or look at photos, so I'll take those off the list.

Physical Design
As a lot of reviews said, the player seems smaller in person than in the photos on the net. The buttons really look and feel small in person. The 9 buttons in the middle are almost exactly 1/4" from center to center and are a little less than 3/16" in diameter.
I don't want to give the impression that it's too small, I'd say it's just about perfect. I know all the iPod fans want EVERYTHING to be super thin, but I think they're stupid... Here's an analogy: You ever use a remote that looks like this one?...

They suck! Sure they're thin, but for something you're trying to hold in your hand and push buttons on you want a little bulk. I had an iPod Touch 2G for a very brief period. It is too thin in my opinion. OK, enough of that rant.
The build quality is very good in my opinion; it seems solid. I've had enough electronic devices in my life to realize that as long as it doesn't fall apart it will serve my needs.

Having the power button on the back is an odd choice in my opinion, but... uh... who really cares?

Wi-Fi
I turned on the UPnP server in Media Center to test out the Wi-Fi features. The first trouble I had was putting in my WPA2 shared key to get onto my network. The phone-esque (where the number "2" is the letters "A", "B", and "C", 3 is DEF, etc.) interface is almost COMPLETELY unusable. Those of us who write many texts on our phones will not be happy with what Creative has done. Not only is text input tedious, the general slowness of the player compounds it's unusability. I had to try 4 times to get the key in properly. I was getting better by then, I think the next key will only take 1 or 2 trys. Thankfully, the player saves the network settings so once you get it right you don't have to do it again.

It worked pretty well. It wasn't lightning quick, but I wasn't expecting it to. You can either stream the music from your server or download it to the player. I can't wait until I get Media Center set up to start downloading podcasts that I can stream any time I want. I hope this proves more useful than the podcast app on my N95 (which works very well).

I fear that other than streaming Podcasts I will not get a lot of use out of the Wi-Fi. Time will tell.

Anywho, unlike the last two players I bought (the 8gb Fuze and the 32gb iTouch) I didn't buy this one locally so I cannot return it. I think I made a good decision.

Old 03-07-2009, 05:11 AM

I also had a x-fi and currently have a Fuze.
Some months ago I compared them using sennheiser cx300 and Denon ah-c551.
With both phones, I thought, the creative was too "artificial". The sound didn't seemed natural to me, but somewhat digitalized. It isn't very easy to describe.

The Fuze, has an amazing sound when it comes to ear, what the artist's playing, want you to ear. The player has a really even sound, which in my opinion is awesome (I used to be a bass freak).

Even listening to genres like Thrash Metal (Lamb of god or Machine Head), I prefer the Denon's + Fuze, over the x-fi with both phones.

Hope I helped

Old 03-16-2009, 08:09 PM

Thumb Down first impression

very disappointed with it!

sound is nowhere near the quality of my old Sansa e250. With X-Fi off it sounds a little better but with X-Fi on it just sucks. It's not so easily noticeble on default earphones but when I put it on my STAX earphones or on my speakers it's not good at all!
Also I woudn't expected it to freeze within first 5 minutes of playing around with it.

I'm going to return it back to shop tomorrow

Overall rating 2/5

Old 03-17-2009, 09:25 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Thread merged with main Opinions thread.

Zen FAQ

Old 03-17-2009, 12:00 PM

You certainly can't use your player with the X-fi feature enabled, but with that disabled, i think the sound is pretty decent.

EDIT

I now feel it sounds more real without the x-fi disabled lol.
But still, for the sound quality, creative zen/x-fi gets a *thumbs up*.

Last edited by JunglePimp; 03-29-2009 at 02:47 PM.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:53 PM
Banned

Hi,
I'm new here, and think this is a fantastic site, by the way. I'd like some opinions on the 3 players I've narrowed it down to. I had a Zen MicroPhoto 8gb, and I liked the small size, especially for using it at work, but didn't like the small screen, especially because now I'm at the age where reading glasses are almost a must. My wife has the Vision M 30Gb, and I like hers a lot. So, I'm thinking of getting a new, open box, or refurbished ZVM because I like the screen size and the 30GB of storage. Let me add I don't care about video at all. I'm about the music. I've also considered the 16GB Zen, because it is still small, has the same size screen as the ZVM, and adequate storage as well. But, I keep reading about the white screen of death and other issues, so I'm very hesitant with that one. My third choice is the X-FI 16GB, and for the same reasons.....small, but nice size screen,and adequate storage in my price range. I'm not an audiophile, but I do like it to sound good. I listen to Metallica more than anyone else, and if not them, mostly other hard rock or heavy metal bands, for whatever that's worth. How much better does the X-fi sound than the ZVM? Anyway, what do some of you think? Thanks in advance!

Old 03-28-2009, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acillatem View Post
Hi,
I'm new here, and think this is a fantastic site, by the way. I'd like some opinions on the 3 players I've narrowed it down to. I had a Zen MicroPhoto 8gb, and I liked the small size, especially for using it at work, but didn't like the small screen, especially because now I'm at the age where reading glasses are almost a must. My wife has the Vision M 30Gb, and I like hers a lot. So, I'm thinking of getting a new, open box, or refurbished ZVM because I like the screen size and the 30GB of storage. Let me add I don't care about video at all. I'm about the music. I've also considered the 16GB Zen, because it is still small, has the same size screen as the ZVM, and adequate storage as well. But, I keep reading about the white screen of death and other issues, so I'm very hesitant with that one. My third choice is the X-FI 16GB, and for the same reasons.....small, but nice size screen,and adequate storage in my price range. I'm not an audiophile, but I do like it to sound good. I listen to Metallica more than anyone else, and if not them, mostly other hard rock or heavy metal bands, for whatever that's worth. How much better does the X-fi sound than the ZVM? Anyway, what do some of you think? Thanks in advance!

If you dont have much to do with the video feature (i guess you count the compromise on the easy interface as well), I would suggest to you a few models from sansa and cowon that are specially designed to suit your purposes.

A search of two on the forum and you'll be good

Old 03-28-2009, 02:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
If you dont have much to do with the video feature (i guess you count the compromise on the easy interface as well), I would suggest to you a few models from sansa and cowon that are specially designed to suit your purposes.

A search of two on the forum and you'll be good
Thanks! Which models are you thinking of? Yeah, I wouldn't mind the Cowon S9, or maybe the D2, but they are a little pricey to get some decent storage. I heard the D2 isn't that easy to navigate, but that's just what one person said. I'm most likely sticking with Creative, but I'll check out Cowon again. Music is all care about, not video, but having a decent size screen that is easy to read is also important, along with a decent amout of storage, so you can see why the Zen Vision M and X-Fi are appealing. I will research the 2 brands you mentioned though.

Last edited by acillatem; 03-28-2009 at 06:50 PM.

Old 03-29-2009, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Thanks! Which models are you thinking of? Yeah, I wouldn't mind the Cowon S9, or maybe the D2, but they are a little pricey to get some decent storage. I heard the D2 isn't that easy to navigate, but that's just what one person said. I'm most likely sticking with Creative, but I'll check out Cowon again. Music is all care about, not video, but having a decent size screen that is easy to read is also important, along with a decent amount of storage, so you can see why the Zen Vision M and X-Fi are appealing. I will research the 2 brands you mentioned though.
My recommendation to you would have been sansa clip since it was highly rated on ABI and you don't really pay for the screen, but for the music and size. Although storage is one problem.

But then cowon s9 is also a superb option (might just turn out to be better). If you look at the newer version here, with all the techspecs , it seems pretty attractive.

Also check out Cowon iAudio 7, F2 and T2.

Cowon D2 would be a brilliant option, but will again make you pay for the screen, and so would creative models.

BTW, in case you are counting out on the screen since you feel the experience might not be as good as the one on your PC/TV, trust me, once you view movies on PMPs, you begin loving them. I have a Creative Zen X-fi, and due to the brilliant sound, display and ability to carry movies along, I prefer watching stuff on it, over PC/TV.

So make a wise decision

Old 03-29-2009, 12:47 PM
Banned

Thanks for the help! I'll check out those other players.

Old 03-29-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the help! I'll check out those other players.
Anytime

Old 03-29-2009, 03:06 PM
Banned

I like the idea of the Sansa clip 8gb, especially for work, because it's so small. The fact that Walmart has been selling them on clearance for $49.99 makes it even more appealing. I'm going to go down to my Walmart and see if they have any left in a few minutes. The doiwnside of this player is it's hard to read the little screen(for me anyway lol), and that's what I'm trying to avoid, but for that price, I could maybe deal with that. I don't like not being able to organize music by file/folder, which I heard you can't do with the clip, but that's just what I heard. I like going to an artist by name, and then to a certain album, and playing it. So, I'm considering getting the clip for work, and then maybe a refurbished ZVM as well. The X-Fi sure sounds pretty nice too, and still sort of in my budget. The S9 is a little outside my budget at the moment.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:51 PM

Hi,

I had the Zen Vison M for about 4 years and it is time for it to RIP.
Drop it couple time here and there and i think it finally messed up the player because it rebuilds if i shake it...

So I have decided to get a new MP3 player.
I was thinking about getting another ZVM 30g but im also leaning on trying something new... I know ZVM is like $150? But is it worth spending like $250 for the Zen X fi 32gb? Should I stick with the ZVM? or Is there anything better than those like about 30gb for around $150-250???

SUGGESTIONS APRECIATED!
THANKs!

Old 05-27-2009, 08:18 PM
Banned

Samsung P3, Cowon S9 or a Sansa fuze with microSD cards. There are plenty of players other than an x-fi.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamnine View Post
Samsung P3, Cowon S9 or a Sansa fuze with microSD cards. There are plenty of players other than an x-fi.
Yup agreed, and plenty of better players too, even though I feel each player has it's own +s and -s.

Also other factors like budget and features have to be considered too.

Old 05-30-2009, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Yup agreed, and plenty of better players too, even though I feel each player has it's own +s and -s.

Also other factors like budget and features have to be considered too.
But the Zen X fi is good too and worth getting?
leaning on the a zen product because i am familiar with it and owned many

Old 06-04-2009, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ako View Post
But the Zen X fi is good too and worth getting?
leaning on the a zen product because i am familiar with it and owned many
See if you ask me, I'd say yes.
Been using the player for months now, perfect response from it

There are a few downsides as I said earlier as well, but it depends on whether they really make a difference to you or not.

I'd suggest you go through a few more reviews here and there, and also check out threads of people reporting bugs, which will give you more of an idea.

If you want decent stuff, decently priced, Zen X-fi is the way to go.