android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen V

Old 08-24-2008, 10:25 AM

Default I reset my Zen V too aggressively

Hello,

My player is now dead as a doornail, even after I tried the recovery procedure several times and left it to charge overnight. I believe that I damaged something when I inserted a paperclip into the reset hole too deeply.

Although my player is still within the warranty period, I imagine Creative will call this "operator error."

Should I try to fix it myself? I saw some relevant YouTube videos, but does anyone have experience with this kind of malfunction? Are there any independent repair shops for Creative Zen?

Thank you for any help and advice.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-26-2008, 03:08 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hello cruchy. Welcome to ABI.. What was the original problem with your Zen V? Was it powering on before using the Reset button? Keep in mind, when pressing the Reset button, the Zen will turn off. Just in case you are having a battery issue, you may want to leave it plugged in and charging for a couple of days to see if it begins holding a charge or powers on again.

Zen FAQ

Old 09-11-2008, 03:12 PM

Hi,
If opening, there shouldn't be any kind of warranty issues if you open it carefully(only sign/mark is on one chip and you don't need to remove it). There are good videos at youtube, how to open it(but if possible, don't remove screen wires from motherboard, it is not so easy to put them back).

And warranty should work in this case. You could call it "too lightly builded in factory".

Sorry for my english

Old 09-11-2008, 03:46 PM

Don't worry too much: The deep "reset hole" is not any fault of yours. My friend's went bad on him so they diseccted it. They found that you have to hit the reset button in a certain way or otherwise it will miss it. But don't go digging around: you might hit a vital cord. When holding it upwards with the hole pointing to you: get a sowing needle and try going up diagonally and then straight.

Old 09-16-2008, 11:46 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I've seen to where the button was stuck on one side causing it to be pressed in at all times and needed a little wiggling to free up and release.

Zen FAQ

Old 09-18-2008, 06:20 PM

Thank you for your suggestions and information.

After several lengthy charging sessions and still no response, I decided to take the thing apart at least to see if something was broken. A small component next to the reset button was detached from the board. My next step will be to try to reattach it.

Old 09-18-2008, 07:31 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Ahh, ok. Feel free to post a pic. Does it look broken at all?

Zen FAQ

Old 09-21-2008, 05:32 PM

Default my zen v dissembled

The little component on the right was unattached from the MB on one end (and then by touching it I dislodged it completely).

Old 09-22-2008, 02:15 PM
Ultra Senior Member

That pic is really blurry. Can you take another or even one that shows a close-up of the part that has come off?

Zen FAQ

Old 09-28-2008, 10:42 AM

Default Here's a better pic -sorry, but this is the best I can do

Old 10-07-2008, 12:39 PM

Same Problem!!! Same thing come off, I think it's the restart chippy thing itself... I don't know how to syick it back on... Please help! Thnx in advance!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-07-2008, 12:52 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Sorry about the delay in replying. Yes, that is the Reset Switch. If it has fallen off, it can be resoldered back on (maybe even epoxied; best to re-solder). See pic:

creativezenvback.jpg

The 4 little metal prongs sticking out go onto the 4 metal solder points on the mainboard in the red circle. The reset button faces outwards of course.

Zen FAQ

Old 10-08-2008, 10:30 AM

Erm... ok... TY a lot!!!
I'll repot success/unseccess...
P.S. Did you manage to get yours going, Crunchy?
Oh I forgot... can I test it by holding it on making sure there's contact between the reset thing and the solder points, and trying to press the button? 'cause nothing seems to happen... sorry I have no experience! (I'm 14, and my father says he's got the equipment to resolder it back on... lol)...

Last edited by davgil_1994; 10-08-2008 at 10:51 AM. Reason: lol adding

Old 10-08-2008, 04:11 PM

I wouldn't expect anything to happen (or anything emmensly noticeable). But, as I once again urge not to do, don't push it a billion times because you think it's "not working". It is more than likely working, but still..
Hope it helps, and PS to davgil, I'm 14 too.

Old 10-08-2008, 05:52 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Keep in mind the reset button will cut the power, so yeah, it won't look like anything happened if the Zen is already off.

Zen FAQ

Old 10-12-2008, 10:25 AM

Erm... I managed to glue the chip back on, but it won't turn on, and the computer won't recognize it (although it knows I've connected something). I had previous compatibility problems with my old XP, but I fixed them by upgrading to SP2, and I know there are problems with Vista as well (I have Vista 32x Home Premium, SP1 I think), but I don't think that's the reason... Anyway I tried installing that Creative Media Explorer thing (DL from the creative website), but it won't install cause it doesn't recognize the MP3 player, and I think I've lost the CD... I also had a problem with the screen, 'cause the screen came off and disconnected, but I think I've fixed it. Maybe I should try soldering it and see if that makes a difference... Thanks a lot BobbyRS, anyway! I still haven't lost hope, though! lol

Old 10-14-2008, 11:55 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davgil_1994 View Post
Erm... I managed to glue the chip back on, but it won't turn on, and the computer won't recognize it (although it knows I've connected something).
You have to ensure electrical continuity. If the prongs aren't making good contact with the solder-points, then it most likely won't work. This is why re-soldering works best.

Quote:
Anyway I tried installing that Creative Media Explorer thing (DL from the creative website), but it won't install cause it doesn't recognize the MP3 player, and I think I've lost the CD...
Check here.

Quote:
Maybe I should try soldering it and see if that makes a difference...
I would.

Quote:
Thanks a lot BobbyRS, anyway! I still haven't lost hope, though! lol
Hey, no problem. Good luck!

Zen FAQ

Old 10-18-2008, 12:18 PM

Thanks for the illustration (yes, I thought I had the reset button facing the wrong way). I think soldering is the way to go...especially since gluing didn't seem to work out for davgil1994 (hope you eventually got it going)...now I just have to find a buddy with a soldering iron : )

Old 10-18-2008, 03:32 PM
Ultra Senior Member

No problem. Yes, soldering would be best. Good luck! Let us know how it turns out for you.

Zen FAQ

Old 11-07-2008, 10:07 AM

Red face

I haven't had time to try soldering yet I'l thy tho =P ty!
I'l try when i hav time...
and i'll try the program...