android
Old 09-28-2008, 06:28 AM

A web browser would be nice, but surfing the web with 320x240 resolution isn't that fun, imho...

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-28-2008, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyphox View Post
A web browser would be nice, but surfing the web with 320x240 resolution isn't that fun, imho...
I'm browsing the web in 240 x 320 so it's not a big deal.. Mostly I would use it to lookup things, maybe go to wikipedia / google

EDIT: Less 'lag' when you want to see the name of a long album name. Find a album where the title is too long for the upper bar ( you may have to enable the watch, so you have less space for the title, if you don't have done that ), and then you wait, and see that it scrolls the title but its very slow, at least for me, since I use album art view and not text view. I assume this will be fixed.

Feature requests/bug fixes:

1) Play songs and use wifi at the same time. For example, listen to music and chat on msn at the same time. And of course show the song playing as your personal message

2) The screen should fade out after a while when you play songs, and immediately when you slide to hold ( of course a user-setting )

3) Choose a song as alarm ( currently only radio and random are available )

4) File copying between memory card and system memory. Of course it should copy to the right folder, music to music folder, images to image folder and so on. And everything else to a 'Other' folder

5) Nicer SD card integration. Mentioned before by others

6) Different icon sets available, maybe the possibility to make your own?

7) Different layouts for the now playing screen, including one without album art

8) 0-second track switching, Dark Side Of The Moon is a continuous album, I don't want any silence between songs. It's fast, but why not 0-second? For me they can remove the album art so it loads faster (possibly), or the possibility to buffer a whole album as one song ( and wait 5-10 seconds)

9) Getting lyrics over the internet and show it synced with the music. That would put some real use into the wlan. And possibly album art downloader, and even gracenote integration (maybe not that useful)

10) Fix the unsynced audio / video, it's really annoying

11) Last.fm integration. Come on, it have wifi, why not put it into good use

12) Web browser (mainly looking up things on google)

13) Support for creating own themes ( maybe a late thought, my old Iriver E10 had flash themes, something like that would be cool, even though it looks like creative uses their own theme engine )

14) Multiple bookmarks for movies, shouldn't be that hard to fix. IE, If you watch movie 1, and then start on movie 2, and wants to see movie 1, you have to fast forward to where you were to see, and then you loose the bookmark on movie 2.

Last edited by ToJa92; 10-09-2008 at 02:56 AM.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:54 PM

The only thing I'm really picky about would be a wider support for video files.
I'm not sure how it works, but I watch a ton of anime and alot of what I grab are MKVs in H.264

Old 10-13-2008, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yashoki View Post
The only thing I'm really picky about would be a wider support for video files.
I'm not sure how it works, but I watch a ton of anime and alot of what I grab are MKVs in H.264
From what I can gather, MKV is a pretty hard format to support, since it can contain so much, from menus and chapters, to subtitles and different camera angles. Mostly computers support it, and not so many network media players. That could be a reason why it's not very well supported.

Old 10-13-2008, 11:10 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yashoki View Post
but I watch a ton of anime and alot of what I grab are MKVs in H.264
Yeah, that seems to be about the only time I have come across MKV files. MKV as a container has much support for additional material like mentioned above. In addition to its popularity with anime rips, it seems to be picking up steam with HD rips like from Blu-Ray because of the additional content provided.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToJa92 View Post
From what I can gather, MKV is a pretty hard format to support, since it can contain so much, from menus and chapters, to subtitles and different camera angles. Mostly computers support it, and not so many network media players. That could be a reason why it's not very well supported.
It isn't really that it is hard to support as a container. Due to MKV's openness, it will depend on what is used within the MKV container that could be new and challenging to support. You can still have an MKV file that contains MPEG-2 for video and MP3 for audio; not really any different than a typical AVI file. MKV's ability to use compression like H.264, AC3, DTS (and more) is where many portable devices will run into trouble with being able to handle. I think the Cowan A3 fully supports MKV.

Zen FAQ

Old 10-13-2008, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
It isn't really that it is hard to support as a container. Due to MKV's openness, it will depend on what is used within the MKV container that could be new and challenging to support. You can still have an MKV file that contains MPEG-2 for video and MP3 for audio; not really any different than a typical AVI file. MKV's ability to use compression like H.264, AC3, DTS (and more) is where many portable devices will run into trouble with being able to handle. I think the Cowan A3 fully supports MKV.
Exactly, as long as it's standard video / audio any player could possibly handle it. But the extra material can vary between files, that's why its hard to support it 100%. In the beginning even media players for PC had problems with the container. I'm unsure if the A3 fully supports MKV, maybe it does, then it's good for those that watch anime

Old 10-13-2008, 02:42 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToJa92 View Post
Exactly, as long as it's standard video / audio any player could possibly handle it. But the extra material can vary between files, that's why its hard to support it 100%. In the beginning even media players for PC had problems with the container.
Yeah, handling the MKV container in itself shouldn't be much of an issue. Only when newer compression algorithms are used like H.264 within it is where it becomes a real issue as to whether or not the device can decode or even have the horsepower to decompress (along with additional supported features).

Zen FAQ

Old 10-23-2008, 12:35 PM

Now that there is a "smart volume" feature, I would like to see this feature actually work.

Old 10-23-2008, 12:43 PM
Ultra Senior Member

It works in the terms that it does somthing, but yeah, it doesn't work very good. I like using MP3Gain for normalizing my MP3's before copying over to the Zen. Much better!

Zen FAQ

Old 11-02-2008, 01:45 AM

I just want a Guess that song game, i mean thats not too much to ask for
i get bored and want to do something, and since i have ADHD and am extremely easily entertained this would be fun for me haha until i see something else that catches my eye XD

Old 11-02-2008, 07:43 AM
Ultra Senior Member

There's always random playback without looking at the screen..... or pushing all of the buttons and guessing where on the menu you end up.

Zen FAQ

Old 11-12-2008, 04:51 PM

Default Extended standby time.

I've been using my 32G X-Fi for a few weeks now, and about the only thing I miss from my old iPod is that when I would turn the iPod off, instead of shutting down completely, it would go into standby mode for up to 24 hours. This meant it remembered exactly where I was in the current song/playlist, and I wouldn't have to wait the half minute or so it takes to boot up from a complete shut down before using it again.

The X-Fi also seems to have a standby mode, but it only lasts for an hour at most before doing a full shutdown.

So while I very rarely had to wait through a full boot-up of my old iPod, I now have to wait for my X-Fi to boot a couple times a day. Not a big deal, but a little annoying. There should be an option to specify how long the players stays in standby mode before shutting itself down.

-=The Jesster: Gatchaba Goose=-

Old 11-12-2008, 05:05 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The Sleep-Mode last for about 2 hours I believe. Some people like it, many do not (myself included) since it takes up battery runtime.

From this post:

Quote:
Usually when just the ZEN logo appears, the Zen is coming out of Stand-By mode. Resuming playback from this point would make sense since the Zen hasn't fully powered off. If the Creative logo appears before the ZEN logo, it means the Zen is powering on and doing a full boot-up. The Zen will not resume play when powering up this way. The best solution in this case would probably be to use a bookmark.

Zen FAQ

Old 11-13-2008, 01:13 PM

Quote:
The Sleep-Mode last for about 2 hours I believe. Some people like it, many do not (myself included) since it takes up battery runtime.

From this post:
That's why they should include a setting that lets you change it, to accomodate people who prefer either. And if standby mode is implemented properly, it should consume negligable battery power.

-=The Jesster: Gatchaba Goose=-

Old 11-13-2008, 01:15 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yeah, it would be nice. Just like it would be nice if they allowed for MTP and MSC mode, but I doubt it will ever happen.

Zen FAQ

Old 11-15-2008, 03:34 PM

are there any news about the sd(hc) integration in the library?

Old 11-15-2008, 06:07 PM
Ultra Senior Member

No, and there most likey will never be.

Zen FAQ

Old 11-18-2008, 03:24 PM

I came to Conclusion that Creative wont make SD card integration because then people would buy less high capacity mp3s, great idea thou

now i start to believe to that idea..

Last edited by BobbyRS; 11-18-2008 at 08:23 PM.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:28 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yes, see my post here.

Zen FAQ

Old 03-09-2009, 09:33 AM

I hope they release a firmware that turns the screen off when listening to music without having to switch Hold on, like the V Plus.

Sometimes after the X-Fi has been off, I turn it on and it takes me to the last track/album I was listening to, but when you press the back button it goes straight to the X-Fi menu option adding extra clicks.

I had my first player breaking freeze today. I turned Hold on while listening to music and the screen turned off and then it stopped playing the music and none of the buttons would respond and the power switch wouldn't turn it off. The Reset button turned it off and I turned it on and it said "Rebuilding" and worked like normal again.