android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen

Old 09-02-2008, 11:00 PM

Default My 2gb Zen's battery discharges at an alarming rate

Never heard of this before but if I charge on monday and don't use it until wednesday my battery is dead after 2 hours. I listen to the player on hold(always) and I have and SD card installed at all times. Is discharge really that bad with the Zen or is my charger bad or did I miss a firmware battery stabilization upgrade. Currently I'm testing it by USB charging instead of AC. Any suggestions? Come on BobbyRS us Jeep guys gotta stick together Bought the Zen at christmas time and there is only average time on it (10-15 hrs per wk).

Last edited by no9; 09-03-2008 at 12:54 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-03-2008, 09:42 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The first two possible causes that come to mind right away are either a failing battery or the Zen is not properly powering off and staying in stand-by mode. When you turn the Zen back on (Wednesday), how does the battery indicator on the screen report the charge on the battery? Is it pretty low or does it show mostly full, but only last 2 hours? What firmware version is installed?

A good test would be to charge it fully and then hit the reset button to completely power off the Zen. Then let it sit for two days again, power on , and see if you get the same runtime results.

Quote:
Come on BobbyRS us Jeep guys gotta stick together
You know it! Don't let the Jeep wave die.

/l ,[____],
l- -L-OlllllllO-
()_)-()_)--)_)

Zen FAQ

Old 09-03-2008, 10:23 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
You know it! Don't let the Jeep wave die.

/l ,[____],
l- -L-OlllllllO-
()_)-()_)--)_)
Sorry for playing the Jeep card but thanks for the reply. Its not all of us JK owners ruining it, just the soccer MILFs Stupid dealers should be swearing these chicks in so that we don't have to have trial by fire on the road. When I see you everyday and you never return the wave you get the #1 salute I think it may be the bunk generic charger so I've got it on USB for now. Firmware I think is 1 back. When I turn it on after 2 days its 1 bar down. Players at work so I'll try the reset trick, check my version, and let you know. Did any of the last couple updates have anything to do with battery stabilization? Its a good thing that I've got my current surplus of players or I'd be pimped.

07' Wrangler X
Rubicon 17" wheels,
Dual Tops,
Husky Liners, Mirror Mod,
LED Bulbs, German's Grab Handles,
MP3 Patch Cord,JK Sticker, G.E.A.R. Seatcover,
Grill Mod, Replaced Marker Lt,
Markers into Turn Sig. Mod
Hardwired Garmin
Blind Spot Fish Eye
1" m.o.r.e. Husky Liners, Mirror Mod,
LED Bulbs, German's Grab Handles,
MP3 Patch Cord,JK Sticker, G.E.A.R. Seatcover,
Grill Mod, Replaced Marker Lt,
Markers into Turn Sig. Mod
Hardwired Garmin
Blind Spot Fish Eye
1" m.o.r.e. BL
Sorry off topic but the mod's a jeep guy. Whattya do?

Old 09-03-2008, 10:59 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I think it may be the bunk generic charger so I've got it on USB for now.
Let me know....

Quote:
When I turn it on after 2 days its 1 bar down.
That sounds normal.

Quote:
Did any of the last couple updates have anything to do with battery stabilization?
I'm not sure of anything directly, but who knows what Creative changes within the battery calibration part of the code.

I'm old schoolin' it!
84 CJ7 (A real Jeep )
360 V8
Headers/Dual Exhaust
BFG 33x12x50's
3" Lift
Herculined floor
Currently no top or doors
......a long list.....

Zen FAQ

Last edited by BobbyRS; 09-30-2008 at 12:20 PM.

Old 09-03-2008, 03:34 PM

Yeah i get the real Jeep cracks all the time, but it's all good. Looks like diamond plate on the center console. Man that thing must be your baby, and a 360. Does that thing climb trees? The best thing about the new ones is 32's and no lift. I love the plating with the yellow. SHARP

I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the pics.
EDIT- firmware is 1.21.01 which I believe is current.

,Chris

Last edited by no9; 09-03-2008 at 03:46 PM.

Old 09-03-2008, 06:28 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yeah, there is no lack of power, that's for sure. The news ones are nice, but I like the feeling of the older CJ's. I can really treat them like a Jeep instead of a "new car".

Here's a shot of the interior (don't mind the rip in the drivers seat, it's getting repaired soon):

Quote:
EDIT- firmware is 1.21.01 which I believe is current.
Yes it is.

Zen FAQ

Last edited by BobbyRS; 09-30-2008 at 12:21 PM.

Old 09-03-2008, 09:25 PM

I know what you mean with the new vs old. Was at Silver Lake MI and couldn't bring myself to take it on the sand dunes. Nice interior, is that rino lining on the floor? I read the 4 page Zen charger post and it looks like my 5v 550 ma motorola charger will work so I'll try that. Currently the player went all day and shows full battery, so we'll see how long it goes tomorrow on the charge from the USB. Does the SD card really take up that much power? And when you said that was normal for the battery to drain an eighth in 2 days of non-use is that true because I've never seen that on any other device.

Old 09-04-2008, 12:02 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Nice interior, is that rino lining on the floor?
Thanks. Sort of; I used Herculiner for the floor.

Quote:
I read the 4 page Zen charger post and it looks like my 5v 550 ma motorola charger will work so I'll try that.
Yeah, you should be good with that.

Quote:
Does the SD card really take up that much power?
No, having the SD card in shouldn't make much of a different. At least I haven't really noticed any difference. I think the SD card draining more of the battery would be more dependant on how much you use the card and maybe even the speed of the card as opposed to only having it inserted. I would say that the most of the battery drain is due to the stand-by mode.

Quote:
And when you said that was normal for the battery to drain an eighth in 2 days of non-use is that true because I've never seen that on any other device.
Again, the stand-by mode comes into play here. See more info here.

Zen FAQ

Old 09-06-2008, 01:56 AM

I've got a 4g class 6 card with about 1,000 songs on it. Player's usually on random from the SD card all the time. -Update- Charged the player from the USB and it made it 8hrs Wed, 7hrs Thurs, and finally died after 4hrs today. 19 hrs all SD card over 3 days. I did turn off the idle shutdown per your linked post but that was already 8hrs in. Thanks for the help. I think it was a little charger, a little idle shutdown. Player gets 30 hrs spec so thats probably 25 normal use. 19's not to bad with the SD card blaring.

Old 09-06-2008, 09:54 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Yeah, I think you are good to go then. You'll probably be well within the 20+ hours now since your changes and not using the SD card all the time.

Zen FAQ