android
Old 09-04-2008, 09:55 PM

Default Zen Vision:M responding VERY slowly

I've had my 30 GB Zen for about a year and a half, and it just started to go very slowly, it is fine in all menus, except for any menu bringing you to music related options (e.g. artist, all tracks, now playing, and albums menus). It started this after i added some picture files and music, since then I have deleted all of those added files, including all pictures and video, I have also checked and none of those files were corrupt. There is only about 7 GB being used, and about 8 before I deleted the files. Does anyone have any suggestions or reasons about what happened and/ or how to fix them. Any responce will be greatly appreciated, Thank You.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-04-2008, 10:16 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hello blrczvm. Welcome. I would first boot the ZVM into Recovery Mode and select a Cleanup to ensure the ZVM's database is running optimally. If you continue to have an issue with running/responding slowly, you may have the beginnings of a failing hard drive.

Zen FAQ

Old 09-04-2008, 11:19 PM

Thank You very much for your help, I just did the disk cleanup, now when I go into any of the music library functions, it says "there are no tracks in this file", but when I plug it into the computer and look at the files under My Computer, it says I still have them, it also shows two main files labled MUSIC, one is the current music files, and the other is music files that I have deleted over a year ago, should I do the "Format All" in the recovery menu and just reload everything, or should i try something else, Thanks again

Old 09-05-2008, 09:19 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Unfortunately it looks as though you have a severe database/file system corruption. Yes, a Format should take care of the problem. However, this will erase all files on the ZVM, so hopefully you do have them all backed-up to reload afterwards.

Zen FAQ

Old 09-05-2008, 07:13 PM

Ok, so i just did the format, and re-loaded all of mu music, and it seems to be working again, the second music folder in the My Computer view has gone away, and it is back up to speed. Thanks a lot for you help!

Old 09-05-2008, 07:19 PM
Ultra Senior Member

No problem. Good to hear you have it back and working right. Enjoy!

Zen FAQ

Old 09-29-2008, 12:36 AM

I'm having a *somewhat* similar problem with my Zen, and I figured I'd try asking here before starting a whole new thread.

Starting about 2 weeks ago, my Zen started taking forever to turn on. It used to take about 10 seconds give or take - it now takes a little over a minute (I timed it) and makes a slight clicking sound when it's turning on. I ran a disk cleanup, which didn't seem to change anything. It runs fine in all the menus and I have no problems playing music, it just randomly started taking much longer to turn on. It wasn't gradual either, one day it just suddenly got slow. I hadn't put any new files on it for like a week before this happened, so I don't think it's a corrupt file. I didn't drop it, it didn't overheat, nothing like that that I can think of. It's about 2 years old if that makes a difference. I don't think it's dying, because it's only the startup that's lagging.

I know it's not really a huge problem, but it's extremely annoying to have to wait over a minute for it to power up. Any ideas? If anyone thinks a reformat could potentially fix the problem, I'll do it but it would be a pain (I would have to back all of the videos on my Zen before I did this).

Old 09-29-2008, 02:52 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by nytorey53 View Post
I'm having a *somewhat* similar problem with my Zen, and I figured I'd try asking here before starting a whole new thread.

Starting about 2 weeks ago, my Zen started taking forever to turn on. It used to take about 10 seconds give or take - it now takes a little over a minute (I timed it) and makes a slight clicking sound when it's turning on. I ran a disk cleanup, which didn't seem to change anything. It runs fine in all the menus and I have no problems playing music, it just randomly started taking much longer to turn on. It wasn't gradual either, one day it just suddenly got slow. I hadn't put any new files on it for like a week before this happened, so I don't think it's a corrupt file. I didn't drop it, it didn't overheat, nothing like that that I can think of. It's about 2 years old if that makes a difference. I don't think it's dying, because it's only the startup that's lagging.

I know it's not really a huge problem, but it's extremely annoying to have to wait over a minute for it to power up. Any ideas? If anyone thinks a reformat could potentially fix the problem, I'll do it but it would be a pain (I would have to back all of the videos on my Zen before I did this).
Do you mean a "Zen" or a "Zen Vision M" How long has it made the clicking noise? How loud is it because some clicking is pretty normal. What capacity is it? What firmware version are you using? Just as a precaution I would back-up your media to disc.

Last edited by no9; 09-29-2008 at 03:04 AM.

Old 09-30-2008, 12:13 AM

Sorry, it's a 30gb ZVM (not the newer Zen). I don't know anything about firmware, but under it's properties it says version 1.62.02_0.00.23, so hopefully that helps. It started making the clicking noise the same day it started taking much longer to turn on (a few weeks ago). It always used to make a little whirring noise when it turned on, like a lot of electronics do, but now it's a louder clicking noise, and it feels/sounds like it's straining to turn on. I'm not sure how to describe how loud it is. It's definitely louder than it used to be.

and yeah, I'm definitely gonna go ahead and back my files up.

Last edited by nytorey53; 09-30-2008 at 12:18 AM.

Old 09-30-2008, 12:44 AM
Ultra Senior Member

How much have you listened to it since it started doing this? You said it has no problems playing music but for how long. Looks like you have the current firmware so somebody must have updated it in the last couple years but if I was you I would format the player and reinstall the firmware.http://support.creative.com/download...pe=4&bLatest=1 You said you ran a disk clean-up so I assume you know how to get into the secret menu like this.http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=14459 Your ZVM has been around for awile so it could be coming to it's end but let's hope notWorst case if it is you could get a Zen and already know how everything works and how to use it. But try these things and hopefully it works out.
Let me know what happens. Good Luck

Old 09-30-2008, 09:00 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Hello nytorey53.

Quote:
it now takes a little over a minute (I timed it) and makes a slight clicking sound when it's turning on.
Quote:
It started making the clicking noise the same day it started taking much longer to turn on (a few weeks ago). It always used to make a little whirring noise when it turned on, like a lot of electronics do, but now it's a louder clicking noise, and it feels/sounds like it's straining to turn on. I'm not sure how to describe how loud it is. It's definitely louder than it used to be.
Yeah, it sounds like the drive is priming for a mechanical failure. You can try booting into Recovery Mode and doing a Format and then a Firmware Reload to see if that helps.

Quote:
(I would have to back all of the videos on my Zen before I did this).
What? Your files should be backed-up anyways!

Zen FAQ

Old 10-01-2008, 10:50 PM

I was listening to it for about an hour straight yesterday, so it wasn't having any problems playing for a longer period of time either. This weekend, when I have time to sit down with it for awhile, I'll try doing a format. Hopefully that'll fix it, but I have a feeling that you're probably right, that this is the beginning of my ZVM's end. Maybe it's time to look into getting a new mp3 player! I've been thinking about it, and I'm not sure if I would get a Zen or just get a new ZVM from ebay or something. I love my ZVM, and a new one would be relatively cheap now that they're out of production. I don't think I could ever stomach switching to an ipod, and I'm already used to/completely satisfied with my ZVM.

anyway, thanks for the help, guys! I'll let you know how it goes once I format it.

Old 10-01-2008, 10:58 PM
Ultra Senior Member

http://us.creative.com/shop/shopcate...sp?category=84& but act fast

Old 10-02-2008, 11:30 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I have a feeling that you're probably right, that this is the beginning of my ZVM's end.
A failed hard drive is far from concluding your ZVM as being dead. If you want to consider replacing the hard drive, These should help:

Here is the ABI disassembly guide.
Here is a video of a disassembly.
Here is the hard drive replacement thread.
Here is the new tested hard drive swap thread.
Here is the hard drive connector type thread.

Zen FAQ