android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen Vision:M

Old 09-05-2008, 04:29 PM

Default Zen Vision M not detected by Pc but still charges

My zen vision M was working fine up until a couple of weeks ago when it seems to have stop responding when plugged into the pc through the standard connector.
When i connect the player to the pc it does not turn on or respond in any way and the device does not show up at all in device manager
I have tried putting the player into usb removable disk mode and connecting it and nothing, have tried clean up on the player and nothing

I have not tried reformatting the player completely yet as i am hesitant to lose all my music on the player if it does not work after reformatting the player.

The player still charges however when plugged into the pc even if it does not respond... does it mean that the 1-4 pins on the player are broken? i heard that these are the ones that have usb signals sent over them.

Any suggestions? would buying a direct connector to the pc help?

Any help is really appreciated
Jono

Edit: I have tried different USB ports and another computer as well which eliminates those options

Last edited by jonoelgrande; 09-05-2008 at 04:33 PM. Reason: forgot information

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-06-2008, 10:38 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Have you tried a different cord yet? That could be the problem also. Easier to replace than the internal connector.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:57 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Hello jonoelgrande. Welcome. It sounds like you have a hardware issue preventing connectivity like a bad cable, sync adapter (dongle), or the ZVM itself. I would at least try a new cable, swap out the sync adapter (if you have access to one), and check the sync adapter and data port on the ZVM for bent or miss aligned pins. You could also try connecting the ZVM to a computer with a known working USB port and while connected, wiggle the sync adapter and USB cable around to see if the computer begins detecting something.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Zen FAQ

Old 09-10-2008, 08:56 AM

Default Recovery mode screen frozen

Aloha! This is my first post and after reading and researching for a resolution in these forums for my ZVM. I have owned it for about a year now but hardly used it and first started having problems with the device stating that it is not connected after plugging it into the PC. I reset the device holding the button for awhile and turning it on until it came to the recovery mode screen. I had it cleaned, rebooted and reload firmware only to have it freeze up. I let the battery drain and restarted it again but it still would be locked in the recovery mode screen. I would plug it into a laptop and it would dock but it would still say it is not connected. Can anyone help? Mahalo!

Old 09-10-2008, 03:41 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hello NTVKAYN. Welcome to ABI. When you say that the ZVM froze up, did it freeze when upgrading the firmware? Keep in mind that when there is no firmware on the ZVM, it will automatically boot into Recovery Mode. So, if you selected Reload Firmware from the Recovery Mode menu, this erases the installed firmware and will stay erased until you reinstall. When the ZVM is booted into Recovery Mode and you connect it to the computer, how does Device Manager show the status of the device/driver? Without the driver loading without error, no software will be able to detect the ZVM.

Zen FAQ

Old 09-26-2008, 10:21 PM

Hi, I am having the same problem. I read several of the postings before trying anything w/my player. It is charging w/the sync adapter and the player turnes on when I connect to the computer, but it is not connecting at all to download music. I did a clean up, reformated and downloaded the new firmware but my player isn't connecting to do do anything. HELP :-(

Old 09-26-2008, 11:07 PM
Ultra Senior Member

What program are you wanting to use to sync with the player?

Old 09-26-2008, 11:12 PM

It's Rhapsody....I think that's what your asking lol.

Old 09-26-2008, 11:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

You are using a paid service?

Old 09-27-2008, 10:14 AM

I'm having the issue with the added problem of yesterday I had over 3000 songs and today i only have 538, no pics or video but it still shows the disc space as used up! I have switched cords, ports etc. It shows docked, is charging, but is not recognized. I did a clean up and reboot with no response. I don't want to lose what music I still have as it is going to be hard enough to rebuild the other 2500 I had. I do use a paid service for my music!

Old 09-27-2008, 01:18 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoore13 View Post
Hi, I am having the same problem. I read several of the postings before trying anything w/my player. It is charging w/the sync adapter and the player turnes on when I connect to the computer, but it is not connecting at all to download music. I did a clean up, reformated and downloaded the new firmware but my player isn't connecting to do do anything. HELP :-(
Hello amoore13. Welcome. Verify your connection and driver status. Check the driver in Device Manager to see if it is loading without error. Is the syncing software seeing the ZVM properly? Does it show as a Portable Device under My Computer?

Zen FAQ

Old 09-27-2008, 01:22 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalasmom View Post
I'm having the issue with the added problem of yesterday I had over 3000 songs and today i only have 538, no pics or video but it still shows the disc space as used up! I have switched cords, ports etc. It shows docked, is charging, but is not recognized. I did a clean up and reboot with no response. I don't want to lose what music I still have as it is going to be hard enough to rebuild the other 2500 I had. I do use a paid service for my music!
Hello nalasmom. Welcome. Is the discrepancy showing on the ZVM or the computer? If booting the ZVM into Recovery Mode and doing a Cleanup is not working, perhaps a reload of the firmware may help in getting them recognized properly again.

Zen FAQ

Old 09-27-2008, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
Hello nalasmom. Welcome. Is the discrepancy showing on the ZVM or the computer? If booting the ZVM into Recovery Mode and doing a Cleanup is not working, perhaps a reload of the firmware may help in getting them recognized properly again.
The player itself is showing the discrepancy. I can't get it to sync up so I do not know if there is a problem on that end too. If I reload the firmware will I lose what is left on the unit?

Old 09-28-2008, 08:40 AM
Ultra Senior Member

You should not lose any of your files when reloading the firmware. You will when you select to do a Format. However, you are going to need a computer that the ZVM is being detected on as well to reload the firmware. If you connect the ZVM, while booted into Recovery Mode, check Device Manager to make sure that the driver is loading without error. You can also check to see if the downloaded firmware (from Creative's site) also detects the ZVM. If everything looks good, you should be just fine to reload the firmware.

Zen FAQ

Old 09-28-2008, 09:55 AM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
You should not lose any of your files when reloading the firmware. You will when you select to do a Format. However, you are going to need a computer that the ZVM is being detected on as well to reload the firmware. If you connect the ZVM, while booted into Recovery Mode, check Device Manager to make sure that the driver is loading without error. You can also check to see if the downloaded firmware (from Creative's site) also detects the ZVM. If everything looks good, you should be just fine to reload the firmware.
I can't get it to recognize the player on either of my computers! I have tried changing ports and cords. Any other ideas?

Old 09-28-2008, 11:59 AM
Ultra Senior Member

So, how does Device Manager report the driver on both computers? If the driver is not loading without error, no software will detect it...

Zen FAQ

Old 10-02-2008, 09:34 AM

It simply shows as portable device on the toll bar where it used to show zen. In the device manager it shows cvm but when you open that it says 50 g device and nothing else. It dings when plugged in and unplugged so the computer is rec. something is coming in but not what it is. I have order a new connector that fits in the bottom of the unit to see if that helps.

Old 10-02-2008, 10:27 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Device Manager, not Windows Explorer.

The ZVM should be listed under the Portable Devices category. If there is an error, you should see a small circle with a black exclamation mark in it. Seeing how you are seeing it under My Computer (Windows Explorer), the driver appears to be loading without error. Plus the fact that you see the 50MB partition (which means the ZVM doesn't have any firmware installed) shows you have a good connection. Since you have a good connection, the fault is not with the ZVM, but within the computer. The first thing I would do is uninstall any and all Creative software and try upgrading the firmware again.

Zen FAQ

Old 10-23-2008, 03:45 PM

Unhappy ZEN vision M isn't being recognized on computer

Sup guys, alright. I have a ZEN vision M and its connected to my laptop with the Vista Basic OS (which is the worst OS in my opinion), anywoo I finally got my ZEN to start charging but it doesn't go past the first bar. Its been like that for almost two days now. Also, I have installed all of the drivers from two different ZEN CD's and my computer still isn't picking it up. I have gone to the Device Manager and no creative or ZEN in site. I can't even find it when I try to manuel installed the drivers. I have looked everywhere to figure this out and I'm just about ready to call it quits. I'm hoping that I can get it working, it would be ashame to get rid of it.Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanx for your time.

Old 10-26-2008, 10:07 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The ZVM is an MTP device and Vista is natively MTP compatible which means you do not need any other software (including drivers) for the ZVM to work. The fact that you have tried installing some of the Creative software or "other" driver may be the cause of your issue. The ZVM should be listed under Portable Devices in Device Manager when plugged in and powered on. When you plug in the ZVM, do you hear any audible alert tone from Windows? What firmware version is installed on your ZVM?

Zen FAQ