android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen Vision:M

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-07-2008, 02:06 AM

Default Creative Zen:M gets "USB Device Not Recognized"

I store a copy of all my music on my ZVM. Currently, I'm deployed to Iraq and have enjoyed listening to my music, audio books, watching videos, etc on my off time. However, I recently experienced a problem with it. A week ago, I transferred music to my ZVM with no problem. Yesterday, I plugged it in and got the dreaded "USB Device Not Recognized" error.
I figured I could fix it. After all, I maintain computers and networks in my job. Apparently not. I went through the following troubleshooting procedures:
-Tried to connect it several times in the different ports in my computer.
-Restarted the computer and tried. Same thing.
-Tried several other computers. My original one is a Dell. the others were a Dell and a Panasonic. Same result. All of them are running XP, service pack 2 and are current on updates. Also, I had been able to bring my ZVM up on the original computer before.
-Nothing comes up in Device Manager when I connect the ZVM. It does charge and behave normally otherwise, though.
- By moving it around to different ports and repeatedly trying to reconnect it, I was able to get my computer to recognize the player several times...partially. It came up as a removable device; not as a media player. I didn't have the software CD available to try to load it.
-One thing I haven't been able to try is changing out the data/power cable. I've been using one I purchased on Amazon years ago that replaces the adapter creative ships the player with. What I'm hoping is that there is a problem with the cable. I have another one back in my CHU (living quarters.) When I get back, I'll try to swap it out.
I figure it's one of 3 things:
1) Bad data/power cable (I hope.)
2) Bad ZVM mother board.
3) Bad cable connector on ZVM.
Has anyone come up with a positive fix for this? I've tried everything else listed on the board?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]