android
Old 09-07-2008, 09:03 AM

Default Rockbox: An answer to the firmware issue?

Should we get-together and begin documentation for Rockbox?
www.rockbox.org

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-08-2008, 07:02 AM

Default too much work for the hardware alone..

The reason to buy a dap is about 20% hardware and 80% firmware/software. The Rio Karma is a perfect example - fantastic firmware (for the time) but crappy hardware. The firmware that comes with the Pilot is what makes it so good. The hardware is good and extremely reliable in my experience but not class leading. If you want a Rockboxed player, I'd save the time and effort and go with one of the Sandisk or Apple players that are support already.

Old 09-08-2008, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon88 View Post
The firmware that comes with the Pilot is what makes it so good. The hardware is good and extremely reliable in my experience but not class leading.
srsly?

I don't know of another DAP on the market that has these pilot features:
1. record in uncompressed WAV via a mic input (no special dongle/cable required either)
2. second headphone output

Add to those 2 exclusive (AFAIK) features the many other rare features that the pilot has (bluetooth, SD slot with library integration, RDS radio) and it adds up to a player that stands alone in terms of hardware.

The hardware doesn't need improvement IMO. It's the firmware bugs that are consistently present in everyday use that really hinder this player (album art doesn't diplay, limitation of 2000 files, player locks when transferring media via UMS). In fact, the only hardware addition that I can think of is a wifi radio.

Old 09-09-2008, 12:18 AM

Individual volume control for each headphone port would be awesome (but not important).
The only thing i really wanted was the ability to save the Now Playing list as a playlist.

But yeah, there's not much you could add to the Pilot that would make it much better. As i said before, i'm not so disappointed about the lack of firmware (It's a good player as it is) as i am about the lack of correspondence from Insignia concerning the product.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaruNinja View Post
Individual volume control for each headphone port would be awesome (but not important).
The only thing i really wanted was the ability to save the Now Playing list as a playlist.

But yeah, there's not much you could add to the Pilot that would make it much better. As i said before, i'm not so disappointed about the lack of firmware (It's a good player as it is) as i am about the lack of correspondence from Insignia concerning the product.
That would be a pretty sweet option!

Another thing that the Pilot could use is faster start up times with SD cards and no song limit

Old 09-09-2008, 07:28 PM

Quote:

It might not even be even possible for each headphone jack to have a separate volume level in the hardware.

I agree that the ability to create a playlist on the fly would be nice. That is one thing I liked about my ipod nano, is that you could do this, although you could only delete them on the PC and not on the player itself.

Looking over the Rockbox firmware for the Sansa we have, I honestly can't say that I was that taken with it so in the end I never bothered. I guess as long as the mp3 players do what they were designed to do with the original firmware, then it's ok with me.

Old 09-10-2008, 01:18 AM

Quote:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3Den%26sa%3DN

http://www.beststuff.co.uk/images/14029.jpg

http://www.maplin.co.uk/images/Full/33144i0.jpg

http://www.thetwistergroup.com/produ...%20D25681.html

Solve the problem? Just have to think outside the "box".

Old 09-10-2008, 01:41 AM

Well i already have earphones that have external volume control...that's why i said it wouldn't be important, just cool.
but thanks anyways.

Last edited by SaruNinja; 09-10-2008 at 01:49 AM.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:59 AM

Yep, that's one way of solving the volume problem of course.

Tags
firmware, insignia, os, rockbox