android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen

Old 09-08-2008, 01:47 PM

Angry Is it normal to have to "jump start" your Zen?

On several occasions I have not been able to power on my zen (no blue lights, no sign of life at all). It acts like it has a dead battery untill I plug it into a power source (PCUSB or mains - it does not matter) and then miraculously (sp?) it works (full battery meter and all).

This is fine if I am in the car or close to a mains outlet (as I carry a charger with me) but when I am out and about this can really ruin my day.

I am totally in the dark as to what is going on or what to do? I have updated everything so far as I know (my updater thinks so). It is a less then a year old 8GB unit.

Any and all suggestions will be gratefully accepted.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-08-2008, 05:48 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Does it continue to run off of battery power when you unplug it from the mains or USB port? Did you recently change firmware versions? It sounds like you have a bad battery. Since you have had this less than a year, Creative should have no problem with you taking advantage of the warranty to get this repaired.

Zen FAQ

Old 09-09-2008, 04:15 AM

Default Re: Is it normal to have to "jump start" your Zen?

It does continue to run in fact it works fine for a few days then acts up again.

N.B. I am ashamed to say I thought I was up to date on my firmware (they sneaked another version in on me) but I am in the process of downloading it as I type so we shall see if it corrects the issue.

I am praying it is not a hardware issue (it would mean reloading all my music (with album art) and videos again ! for the 3rd time!) and that this update will do the trick.

I'll let you know how I fare.

Old 09-09-2008, 11:42 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Ok, good luck. It sounds like a possible bad battery, but reloading the firmware is a good first step. Let us know...

Zen FAQ

Old 09-12-2008, 08:55 AM

Help Re: Is it normal to have to "jump start" your Zen?

Ok firmware is updated (updated everything that the auto update highlighted for good measure) but still having problems

I will try and clarify further: Every so often (though it is getting more so) my player refuses to power up/turn on, acting as if the battery is dead but (and it's a big one) the battery is fully charged !

I know this because once the player gets going (after being plugged in for a few seconds) it registers a full charge (I can run it for several hours before the meter/bar shows a loss of charge) and it is in fact running off the battery (once the meter registers a full charge I unplug it)

if this is a hardware issue (a faulty battery) why does it work fine once the player has been "jumped"

if it is a software/os issue is there a fix somewhere that I can get hold of?

I'm waiting with baited breath for a reply.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:14 AM
Ultra Senior Member

This may or may not be the part of the case, but keep in mind that even though the battery may seem to charge or even hold a charge, placing the battery under a load is when the battery will be truly tested. What happens is that as a lithium-ion battery gets older (used or not used), its internal resistance increases. This causes voltage drops under loads and reduces the amount of current capable of being supplied. This could be part of the problem or there may very well be some kind of internal short in the battery. It is hard to tell really. You can't rule out a possible mainboard issue (maybe charging circuit) either.

With each firmware, the different calculated discharge-curve algorithms (Voltage vs. Time), used to calculate the different charge levels of the battery, are written within the ROM of the ZVM. Perhaps this area within the ROM is corrupt or simply needs reset. The best to ensure any left behind firmware code is erased, is to reload the firmware from within Recovery Mode. If you haven't tried this way of reloading the firmware yet, give it a shot to see if it helps. If not, you may want to consider reloading an older version of the firmware like v1.30.x. Numerous people have stated that running older versions of the firmware have corrected any power related issue with the battery when running newer firmware (again different discharge-curve algorithms).

Zen FAQ

Old 09-12-2008, 02:03 PM

Hope this doesn't sound as stupid as I think it does but how does one "reload the firmware from within Recovery Mode" or simply what is recovery mode?

Old 09-12-2008, 04:46 PM
Ultra Senior Member

From the Zen FAQ:

Quote:
Keep in mind when you are booted into Recovery Mode you are not booted into the OS/Firmware of the Zen. The Recovery Mode is a host system recovery utility that operates outside of the firmware. So, it is independent of operation with or without firmware installed.
Check under the Troubleshooting section for more info.

Zen FAQ

Tags
not turning on, power, power on problems