android
Old 09-10-2008, 04:30 PM

Help MP3 player left on for hours.

Apparently my boyfriend left his mp3 player on from 7 am until about 3:30 pm yesterday. The screen is black with a white logo of a vision:m and a triangle with a ! mark inside. We charged it for 5 hours and nothing. I tried to reset and attempted recovery mode as well with no results (it simply goes back to this screen). The computer will not recognize the player either. Oh I almost forgot to add... the front of the mp3 player shows solid blue backlight as does the power button. When I plug it into the wall charger, the green light does not light up. When I plug it into the PC, there is no sign of it charging. I was told by a very nice member of the creative board to let it charge for at least 12 hours. I put it on charge around 12 this morning and it's still in the same state. I'm confused, if the battery is simply drained, how is the backlight able to stay lit? BTW, this was a question that I also asked on the creative board. Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-10-2008, 05:25 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hello kiesha. Welcome to ABI! That screen you are getting usually refers to a hardware fault during boot-up with the player. It could really be a number of things really. Have you tried pressing the reset button to see if it powers off completely? Since it appears to be having a power issue, may try opening it up and reseating the battery (and hard drive while you are in there) connection....

Here is the ABI disassembly guide.
Here is a video of a disassembly.

Zen FAQ

Old 09-10-2008, 07:54 PM

Thanks so much for the warm welcome and for such a quick response. I am terrified @ the thought of cracking this thing open. Is it as difficult as it looks? I've installed burners, memory and much more onto a computer but never cracked open a mp3 player. Ironically I have another zvm that is green and fails to load due to a firmware problem. Hard drive clicks and when I try to load firmware from the recovery tool, it fails. Anyway, perhaps I'll do a test run on that one.

Old 09-11-2008, 05:30 AM

I woke up this morning and noticed that the player was not on...the backlight was not on nor was the mini zvm and triangle with a ! point. I plugged it into the USB and the backlight above the power button is blinking but still not being recognized by the computer. I plugged it into the wall charger and that screen popped up! I reset and the player stayed off. Am I to assume that this thing is dead and may work after being on charge for a while?

Old 09-11-2008, 07:25 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Thanks so much for the warm welcome and for such a quick response.
No problem.

Quote:
I am terrified @ the thought of cracking this thing open. Is it as difficult as it looks? I've installed burners, memory and much more onto a computer but never cracked open a mp3 player. Ironically I have another zvm that is green and fails to load due to a firmware problem. Hard drive clicks and when I try to load firmware from the recovery tool, it fails. Anyway, perhaps I'll do a test run on that one.
It sounds like you would do just fine opening it up. It really isn't that hard at all. You can even check out youtube for many more disassembly videos that may have more detail.

It sounds like you have a bad hard drive on the other ZVM, which would explain why the firmware will not install (firmware is stored on the hard drive). It sounds like you have two ZVM's you could piece together to make one working one.

Quote:
I plugged it into the USB and the backlight above the power button is blinking but still not being recognized by the computer.
This is good! The blinking light indicates that the battery is being charged. Leave it plugged in for a day or two. Hopefully it will power on when it gets enough charge. Keep in mind the ZVM will not be detected by the computer unless it is powered on. It sounds like your player has a good chance of surviving.
<!-- / message -->

Zen FAQ

Old 09-11-2008, 03:24 PM

Actually a co-worker and I were going to try to crack it open tomorrow. He has all of the tools needed and I am going to print out the instructions and put the video on a flash drive. Perhaps, I should wait this out over the weekend since we got some type of response from this player. I gave this thing to my boyfriend after I bought him the green zvm with the bad hard drive and it went out within 4 months. I usually avoid refurbished products but he insisted on one with color. I felt bad so I passed my zvm on to him and got the 32gb zen (I regret it so much! but that's a whole different story). Poor thing, he has looked like a sick puppy for the past few days! He sends his thanks for helping us out as well.

Update: When I first came in, it had the original screen on it. Figuring my boyfriend had plugged it back up to the wall charger, I reset and put it back on the usb. It backlight of the on/off switch continued to blink. I looked down just now and what do I see? The same screen as before. The only thing different is now when I reset, it does not automatically go back to the screen but it does not power up either. Sigh.

Last edited by kiesha; 09-11-2008 at 03:33 PM.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:00 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Perhaps, I should wait this out over the weekend since we got some type of response from this player.
I think that would be a good idea.

Quote:
Update: When I first came in, it had the original screen on it. Figuring my boyfriend had plugged it back up to the wall charger, I reset and put it back on the usb. It backlight of the on/off switch continued to blink. I looked down just now and what do I see? The same screen as before. The only thing different is now when I reset, it does not automatically go back to the screen but it does not power up either. Sigh.
I wouldn't mess with it for a day or two. It can take a few days to charge a severlely depleted lithium-ion battery fully. Even if it powers on, let it be until it is fully charged.

Zen FAQ

Old 09-12-2008, 11:33 PM

Irritated is the only word to describe these past few days. I pieced together the HD from the black one to the green one and it works like a charm. When I cracked open the back of the black, there is a little gold square with a tip that's held down by a silver piece, it had shifted (not sure if that's what my problem was but the green was in tact). I do believe that my boyfriend had dropped it a little too often as the bottom had a crack. Anyway, he has been told SCREW THIS ONE UP AND YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN. I suppose I could sale this other for parts but I honestly don't know what works on it. Thanks so much for all of your help!

P.S. it didn't take more than 10 mins for everything.

Old 09-14-2008, 10:26 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Ahh, good to hear kiesha. It is nice to see you were able to mix-and-match to get a good one.

Quote:
Thanks so much for all of your help!

P.S. it didn't take more than 10 mins for everything.
No problem. Good job!<!-- / message -->

Zen FAQ