android
Old 09-18-2008, 02:59 PM

Default Bricked insignia ns-dv4g

i was hoping this day would never come, but it did...

my insignia no longer boots up after the bright green insignia logo screen. it just cuts to black after that point.

what is strange is that in order for it to turn on again, i have to reset and then hold the power again, so it is almost as if it is still running with the screen off but the buttons have no effect.

how it happened: i was having problems doing pretty much anything with it, but mainly syncing and the deleting of files associated with the syncing... everytime it would delete a file, it would get stuck on the deleting screen... i would usually just reset it and the file in question would be gone and the player would be working fine, but the last time i did it, it failed to boot completely anymore.

the question i have, is there any way to restore the factory settings on this thing? i cant plug it in to my pc because it still turns off on the same screen and doesent allow enough time for a connection to be made, so formatting it that way is out of the question... i kind of wish i could just turn it into an external drive or something to at least get some use out of it...

unfortunately, the warrenty on it has ended already, i've had it for a little over a year and a half or so... that i know of, i dont remember exactly when i got it, but i know its over a year. so i dont know if me taking it to geek squard/bestbuy would even be worth it, i might have to pay some rediculous amount of money to get it fixed or get a replacement. has anyone returned a bricked ns-dv to geek squad? if you have, what exactly do they do/charge for this kind of thing?

if there isnt really any way to recover from this, i guess i'm on the market for a new MP3 player :P

not sure if i'll stick with insignia after this... but i loved it while it lasted and maybe the newer ones are immune to problems like this.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-21-2008, 07:43 PM

What are you going to do with it now? I accidentally stepped on mine when I went to shopping for clothes. It still works perfectly but the LCD is broken. I tried Ebay, thinking that I would find a replacement screen. Contact me if you want to talk about it some more.

Old 09-21-2008, 07:52 PM

I was really hoping someone would be able to maybe help me to find a way to fix it, but it kinda seems hopeless at the moment. i still wanted to check out best buy to see what they had to say about it but i havent had any time to go there, i'm kinda doubting that they will be able to do anything for me anyways...

what would you be willing to offer me for it?

Old 09-21-2008, 10:17 PM

I don't know? I was thinking that you were going to sell it. I doubt best buy will do anything, especially with something as outdated as the NS-DV4G. How much do you want for it?

Old 09-24-2008, 12:19 AM

I went to best buy and asked them about it, it costs a pretty hefty amount just to have it get sent in and have them look at it (non-refundable), and it only goes up from there once they decide what needs fixing...

So i guess your in luck :P

I don't really know how much it would go for... how does $35 sound? I'd say thats a good price for an extra battery and working screen. but then again i dont really know.

Old 09-24-2008, 12:57 AM
Insignia Moderator

Sounds like the memory is hosed. Normally I'd tell you to buy one with a broken screen off ebay and swap the memory boards (it takes about 5 minutes to do). But I just checked and it seems NS-DVs are hard to find these days...

Old 09-24-2008, 01:10 AM

I was thinking... they must have some way just to re-flash the system files onto it again, if the files were corrupt. But are you saying it might be a hardware issue?

Old 09-24-2008, 01:59 AM
Insignia Moderator

No, it probably is a software issue. But since there's no way to gain low level access to it, you have to replace the flash chip.

Old 09-24-2008, 02:07 AM

i see, i get it now, that kind of sucks, i just wish there was some sort of way you could just turn these into something like a regular flash drive or SD card so i could open and view/change the files. It doesent seem like it would be that hard to do... but oh well...

Old 09-26-2008, 05:44 PM

Default Eh?

35 dollars? That's a little to high. I just got my Zune today so I really don't need the screen nor do I want to go back to the NS-DV4G. My player is works perfect except for the screen thing. I could sell you my Insignia if you want to continue using your player.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:39 PM

Yeah... like I said, I don't really know what theyd go for... but I'll keep you in mind. I just remembered I have a friend with an NS-DV and her little brother broke the screen... I'm not sure if she threw it away or not because it happened a pretty long time ago. So I'm going to look into that. If she doesnt have it, I'll look into buying yours.

Old 09-30-2008, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkid View Post
Yeah... like I said, I don't really know what theyd go for... but I'll keep you in mind. I just remembered I have a friend with an NS-DV and her little brother broke the screen... I'm not sure if she threw it away or not because it happened a pretty long time ago. So I'm going to look into that. If she doesnt have it, I'll look into buying yours.
No problem. I'll put it on ebay if you ever need it or if you have another way then we could do that.