android
Old 01-06-2008, 11:28 PM

My Zen Touch is recognized and correctly labeled as "Zen Touch" in Vista Home Premium, without the slightest hitch or glitch. I can access it in Winamp and play the music on it by simply keeping the DAP connected via the USB cable.

Are you sure you have all recent OS updates? Between the two of us, we should be able to work this out.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-30-2008, 10:31 PM

Default Zen Xtra and Windows Vista

Hiya all

I just came across this great site whilst trying to figure out how to get Creative Media Source to load onto to my new computer with WINDOWS VISTA.

I have tried it before when I first bought by computer and gave up as I kept going in circles it seemed. My Installation CD that came with it won't install with Windows Vista.

I am sure this question has been posted many times.. can anyone out there in techie land help me out..

I have 2,500+ songs on my MP3 player and I hate to lose them all... but if I have to start new, then so be it....

Thank you in advance for any advice anyone may be able to provide me

cheers from Vancouver, BC, Lisa
<!-- / message -->
<!-- controls -->

Old 04-07-2008, 10:59 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Just out of curiosity (because I no longer have an Xtra to try this on), but have you tried launching WMP11 and plugging your player in, just to see what happens?

Try this, and let me know what happens. Hopefully it works, because the next solution I'd have you try may possibly kill your player dead!

Old 04-07-2008, 11:46 PM

Just a thought here... you have all this music on the player and you want to put it on your PC?

This may be a dumb question, but why is dragging the files to your desktop and dropping them there, not working? Is the player not recognized at all in Vista?

Old 06-09-2008, 04:23 PM

Thought I'd fire up my old 20gb touch & had the same problem, here's my solution:

1. Get on a windows xp machine
2. Connect your player
3. Download the latest (playsforsure-) firmware from Creative
4. Run the firmware update executable to update your Zen
(remember that it erases all your songs while doing so)
5. After the update is complete, connect your player to your Vista machine
6. Success! Your Zen Touch now shows in your portable devices as "My Zen".

At least that's how it worked for me

Old 06-09-2008, 04:30 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Download the latest (playsforsure-) firmware from Creative
That would make sense since that makes the Zen Touch an MTP device and Vista nativly supports MTP devices. See more info here.

Thanks for posting and welcome to ABI!

Zen FAQ

Old 06-22-2008, 06:30 PM

Default Vista no longer recognizing Zen Touch

My Vista Home Premium used to recognize my Zen Touch without any problems. However, when I plugged it in today Vista told me that it had no drivers for the device, went on to label it correctly, and try to install the driver. I bought the Touch used, so I have no driver disc, and clicked on "search for a driver online"... none was found.

So now I have a Zen Touch that starts when I plug it into the computer, but that is not listed or recognized anywhere in Vista, so the 10GB of music I downloaded from SpiralFrog are stuck on the harddrive, and I can't get them to my Touch.

It used to work. I'm unhappy.

Old 06-24-2008, 01:06 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Is it listed in Device Manager under the Portable Devices category? What do you mean by it "starts when I plug it into the computer"?

Zen FAQ

Old 06-26-2008, 09:00 PM

It's not listed in the device manager. It's not listed anywhere at all, in fact.

With "starts" I mean that it starts to play the last track it was on. I plugged in my earphones and I could listen to what was on the player, but I can't sync with it anymore.

Thanks for replying, and I'm sorry for the late response. The Vista computer was over-heating (CPU core temperatures at 70C when idle, if that tells you anything), so it isn't being used right now. I'm going to try and re-download the music to my back-up computer, so I can sync it to the Touch from there. If the problem persists after the Vista computer has been repaired, I will post back.

Thanks!

Old 06-26-2008, 09:31 PM
Ultra Senior Member

If your Touch isn't even registering in Device Manager at all, it may be the same issue that happens with the ZVM when its database becomes corrupted: The player flags itself as "dirty" and, in an effort to protect the remaining uncorrupted data, will not establish a connection with the computer.

Try doing a Disk Cleanup on your Touch and see if that fixes the problem.

As for your computer overheating, try a few blasts of canned air into the CPU heatsink (and anywhere else there is a heatsink and/or fan). Is this a desktop or a laptop computer?

Old 06-26-2008, 11:06 PM

It's a desktop computer, with water cooling for the CPU. I built it for gaming. There is a far too large amount of air in the water cooling tubes, and the graphics card heat sink was hot enough to literally burn my fingers when I touched it. I have dusted the things, but sadly, the problem is running deeper. My case cooling system is no longer working, the ambient case temperatures are a bit too high for my liking... around 150F.

SpeedFan gives me readings on the CPU that frankly frighten me, and so does the BIOS when I go to get temperatures there, so until I have an agreement with the manufacturer, the Vista PC is not in use. There is a sticky note over the power button that says "Don't Use Me, I Fry Eggs".

I'll try the disc cleanup on the Touch and see what happens.

Old 06-27-2008, 03:16 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Mmm, yeah, air in a water cooling system is not a good thing... But I bet that thing can make a mean omelet!

Old 06-27-2008, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenChick View Post
Mmm, yeah, air in a water cooling system is not a good thing... But I bet that thing can make a mean omelet!
It better, with CPU temperatures getting up close to 185F, when I tried to run a game on it... yeah, we're not using that computer right now.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:30 PM

Before trying the Disc Cleanup I tried, on a hunch, to plug the Touch into the WinXP computer that is temporarily filling in while I email back and forth with The Gaming System's manufacturer regarding warranty coverage.

Ir showed up immediately. Winamp identified the device as a Zen Touch, and though it took a bit longer over USB 1.1, it loaded everything, and then offered to sync the device. I politely declined, since only a third of my music collection is accessible on this computer, but to me, this looks like the Touch is fine and working correctly. The screen is currently showing "Docked", while I copy over all the music to the computer, so I have it in more than one place while the big computer goes away to have what looks more and more like major surgery.

I'm now very confused about why the Touch won't work in Vista...

Last edited by Chili; 06-30-2008 at 08:33 PM. Reason: added information

Old 06-30-2008, 10:06 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Back in my over-clocking days, I remember many times it can easily corrupt files (including OS files) when clocked too high or ran too high of a temperature and driven to the point of instability or even failure. If you can or feel up to it, try checking to see if other USB devices that were being detected and working correctly aren't working as well when connected. Hopefully when the temperature issue is resolved, the stability issue will be as well (with no file corruption).

Zen FAQ

Old 07-01-2008, 09:11 AM

I know for a fact that standard USB drives work on the over-heating computer... I haven't tried the card reader or the little Samsung DAP yet. I will need to start it up at some point, to do a last back-up before sending it in, I will test the Samsung player then.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:06 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I know for a fact that standard USB drives work on the over-heating computer...
Good. However, if the standard USB drives work, then perhaps it is a matter of some corrupt files or some other software conflict keeping the driver from installing completely. Since the Xtra is an MTP device, it doesn't use the USB drivers.

Quote:
I will need to start it up at some point, to do a last back-up before sending it in, I will test the Samsung player then.
Yeah, may be best. Is the Samsung DAP another MTP device?

Zen FAQ

Old 07-01-2008, 03:43 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I did some more digging, and I'm afraid I have some bad news. The Touch is not a PFS device, and as such is likely not supported by Vista. See here for more details. The linked article does seem to suggest that, with a firmware upgrade, it may be supported by WMP11, and this might work with Vista, but Vista is not specifically mentioned anywhere on the support pages.

Edit: Well, shoot. I guess I really should review threads before replying. Chili had mentioned that she did have her Touch working on Vista before, and the Touch does have PFS firmware. So I guess we're back to a malfunctioning computer or something gone wrong with the Vista install as being the problem.

Carry on.

Last edited by ZenChick; 07-01-2008 at 03:53 PM.

Old 07-01-2008, 03:56 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I did some more digging, and I'm afraid I have some bad news. The Touch is not a PFS device, and as such is not supported by Vista.
You will need the PFS firmware (version 2.11.01) installed on the Touch in order for it to become an MTP compatable device and work with Vista.

(File name: ZenTouchP4S_PCFW_LB_2_11_01.exe)

Check out this Vista driver availbility chart that lists the Touch as being natively supported in Vista.

Zen FAQ

Old 07-01-2008, 08:57 PM

In addition to the above, I do have the 2.11.01 firmware on the Touch and it always Just Worked (TM) on the Vista computer, with no effort on my part whatsoever.

I very much prefer the computer being to blame, as I now have an RMA number and a promise from the manufacturer that I can take out the hard drive before shipping it in, if I have sensitive data on it, so I will be double-checking all connection on the beautiful gaming system, package it as if it was a Faberge egg, and then ship it away for major surgery...

I will, however, try with the Samsung player before I do, just to get more information on the Touch problem.

According to Samsung's website (I just moved, I have no idea where any of my manuals are), it's a PFS device. No mention of MTP, however, the Samsung refuses to work under Linux regardless of what I do, so it seems a safe assumption.

Thanks for the research, both of you! I really appreciate it, it makes this a lot easier for me.