android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen

Old 09-24-2008, 10:25 PM
Banned

Default Is it possible to play the ZEN while charging it?

Is it possible to play and listen to the ZEN while charging it?

Either through the USB connection to the computer, or through a wall charger?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-24-2008, 10:32 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMNB1tch View Post

Through a wall charger, yes...I think there is a way to through the computer, but don't know.
Samsung Galaxy tab 2 7.0
Motorola Droid razr m

Old 09-24-2008, 11:08 PM

Yes, with computer, try this:
(assume xp): control panel -> system -> hardware -> device manager -> find "zen" / "zen x-fi" device -> right click the device and select "disable"

You can play songs while charging but not transferring files. Of course, you have to "enable" the device again if you want to transfer files.

Old 09-25-2008, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by utopia-be View Post
(assume xp): control panel -> system -> hardware -> device manager -> find "zen" / "zen x-fi" device -> right click the device and select "disable"

You can play songs while charging but not transferring files. Of course, you have to "enable" the device again if you want to transfer files.
yeah, thats also a possibility...

but obviously just using a wall charger is the more convenient solution.

Old 09-25-2008, 05:29 AM

Agree but wall charger is not bundled in the box. Zen/Zen X-Fi need dedicated Creative charger. An example is that mobile phones' charger (mini-USB) may not work with Zen/Zen X-Fi.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:17 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Agree but wall charger is not bundled in the box. Zen/Zen X-Fi need dedicated Creative charger. An example is that mobile phones' charger (mini-USB) may not work with Zen/Zen X-Fi.
It does in my case, using an old razr charger works for me!
Samsung Galaxy tab 2 7.0
Motorola Droid razr m

Old 09-25-2008, 05:47 PM

i still use my old ZEN micro charger from ages ago!!
works great with the ZEN.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captincaveman View Post
i still use my old ZEN micro charger from ages ago!!
works great with the ZEN.

ZEN micro charger from century ago is still dedicated & Creative/its OEM thing !! They may (I said MAY again. I can't test them all) be compatibility as long as the players have the same socket. I mean non-Creative ones may possibly not work.

http://sg.creative.com/products/prod...t=16648&listby=

Only compatible with the following ZEN MP3 players*:
ZEN X-Fi, ZEN, ZEN Mozaic, ZEN V Plus, ZEN V, ZEN Stone Plus with built-in speaker, ZEN Stone Plus, ZEN Stone with built-in speaker, ZEN Stone, ZEN Wav, ZEN Neeon 2, ZEN Neeon, ZEN MicroPhoto, ZEN Micro

Last edited by utopia-be; 09-26-2008 at 12:41 AM.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:01 PM
Banned

Excellent.

Yeah, the USB Computer thing looks a bit complicated, so I'll stick to using my trusty and handy RAZR Travel Charger.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:10 PM

Add some cream to it and you can shave with ZEN. Brilliant, Yeah.

I will not speculate to buy and test one-by-one that works by trial & error, luck or chance, power from watch, microwave oven, washer, gas engine, rocket, solar power and etc. I've tested the chargers of BlackBerry and Nokia phone, none of them work. The player just waked up without charging. Strange. Some more observed by other guys (so many):

http://forums.creative.com/creativel...120030#M135327

http://forums.creative.com/creativel...119924#M212537

http://forums.creative.com/creativel...cending&page=1

http://forums.creative.com/creativel...119762#M203899

http://forums.creative.com/creativel...cending&page=2

I do not intent to encourage buying Creative products but just like to mention the way that computer can do. Did the question say that it should be the easiest or did I say it is easy ?

Where do the songs in the player come from ? Hard-wired in ZEN or from computer ?
How are the songs converted/downloaded ? From RAZR charger or computer ?

Last edited by utopia-be; 09-26-2008 at 12:55 AM.

Old 09-30-2008, 10:01 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMNB1tch View Post

USB: Yes, disabling the driver should allow for usage of the Zen while plugged in to the USB port and charging at a low current.

Wall Charger: Yes, if the charger is a straight charger that doesn't use resistors to trigger the USB data lines emulating enumeration, you should be able to charge and use the Zen at the same time.

Quote:
Keep in mind this will prolong the charging time. Charging over USB without enumeration only allows 100mA charging current from the USB bus instead of the full 500mA after enumeration.

Quote:
Zen/Zen X-Fi need dedicated Creative charger. An example is that mobile phones' charger (mini-USB) may not work with Zen/Zen X-Fi.
The Zen doesn't "need" a dedicated wall charger. Just about any AC charger that uses a mini-B male connector for charging within the input requirements of the Zen should work. See this thread for more information and keep in mind the info from the FAQ:

Quote:
Can I use my cell phone's AC Charger to charge my Zen?

The max input voltage of the Zen is around 5v. Most devices that can charge or run off the USB host power can handle the max 5v of USB ports. 4.2 volts is usually the max Lithium ion batteries are charged to. It is usually around when the high voltage circuit is triggered and stops the charging of the battery. I would not connect a charger to the Zen that puts out more volts then 5v. An output current of up to 1A has been known to wrok just fine.
As for the X-Fi, it looks as though Creative has decided to revert back to their shady practices of requiring enumeration before allowing proper charging (More info here) just like with the Zen Micro line of players. What a huge disappointment this is!

Zen FAQ

Old 10-03-2008, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
Keep in mind this will prolong the charging time. Charging over USB without enumeration only allows 100mA charging current from the USB bus instead of the full 500mA after enumeration.
Keep in mind the owners are flexible enough to select a way and control the computer.

Quote:
The Zen doesn't "need" a dedicated wall charger. Just about any AC charger that uses a mini-B male connector for charging within the input requirements of the Zen should work. See this thread for more information and keep in mind the info from the FAQ:
This is not still not dedicated. Any AC charger that has "no USB enumeration" AND "connector for charging within the input requirements of the Zen should work".

Quote:
As for the X-Fi, it looks as though Creative has decided to revert back to their shady practices of requiring enumeration before allowing proper charging (More info here) just like with the Zen Micro line of players.
Then, I will say this X-Fi charger is also "not dedicated" as long as it is just any "universal" AC charger that [1] requires enumeration and [2] is within the input requirements of ZEN X-Fi, [3] satisfies tones of FAQs in nothingbutxxxx.com, and [4] not ruining the player, should work.

Quote:
What a huge disappointment this is!
Totally agree.

Last edited by utopia-be; 10-03-2008 at 11:20 PM.

Old 10-04-2008, 09:28 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Keep in mind the owners are flexible enough to select a way and control the computer.
Yes, that is correct, but with slower charge time, which is all I pointed out.... as well an AC charger can be used to provide full charging current to a powered off Zen that won't turn on and enumerate and be given full charging current from the USB bus.

Quote:
This is not still not dedicated. Any AC charger that has "no USB enumeration" AND "connector for charging within the input requirements of the Zen should work".
Isn't that what I said?

Quote:
Then, I will say this X-Fi charger is also "not dedicated" as long as it is just any "universal" AC charger that [1] requires enumeration and [2] is within the input requirements of ZEN X-Fi, [3] satisfies tones of FAQs in nothingbutxxxx.com, and [4] not ruining the player, should work.
Maybe. Depending on the required ohms resistance needed, not all "universal" chargers can provide the same enumeration emulation (). This is one way how device manufactures try to keep it so their "universal" charger is the only one that works. The chargers are not what requires the enumeration to take place, the device does.

Quote:
satisfies tones of FAQs in nothingbutxxxx.com

Zen FAQ

Old 10-04-2008, 09:09 PM

What a poor design. Also, Creative always don't look from owner's angle. Just put a charger inside the box won't waste our time. Forget it.

Old 10-04-2008, 10:44 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
What a poor design.
Yes it is, which one of the reasons why I favor the regular Zen over the X-Fi Zen.

Zen FAQ

Old 10-07-2008, 06:22 PM

I have a regular Zen and I can listen to it while it's charging. I just have a song playing when I attach it to the computer.

Old 10-09-2008, 12:10 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe's Gal View Post
I have a regular Zen and I can listen to it while it's charging. I just have a song playing when I attach it to the computer.
Interesting.... neither one of my Zen's continue to play the song when plugged in. The song stops and the screen switches to show that they are docked.

Zen FAQ

Old 10-09-2008, 09:21 PM

Could it be plugged in a Windows XP PC without Creative's media transferring software and WMP (v10 or above) ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe's Gal View Post

Last edited by utopia-be; 10-09-2008 at 10:21 PM.

Old 10-09-2008, 10:12 PM

I don't know why but for some reason, my Zen start doing just like Joe's Gal's Zen. When I plugged it into a USB port, it keeps on playing the music. The only way to see my Zen in "Docked" mode is to open the Zen Media Explorer. That's kinda weird cause it started doing it today.

Old 10-11-2008, 11:59 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Could it be plugged in a Windows XP PC without Creative's media transferring software and WMP (v10 or above) ?
Yes, but since the OS won't have MTP installed or the driver for the Zen, it most likely won't get recognized properly or even charge with the faster current.

Zen FAQ

Tags
charge, charger