android
Old 06-02-2006, 02:51 PM

Smile FYI: Screen protector

hey guys, I read through the thread and the original review of the Zen Vision M: and I just wanted to say I tried BSE (bestskinsever) rather than the invisible shield and so far it is working out pretty good. I've never tried the Invisible shield but I'd imagine it works the same.

The application is a little bit of a pain with BSE but after reading the instruction properly and applying it on, I'm so far pretty impressed. It is still a finger print magnet though. I thought it would function like my Brando screen protector for my Axim where fingerprints do not stick.

My review: 4/5 stars

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-06-2006, 08:39 AM

I went with the Invisible Shield product. The product itself seems to be very high quality, but I have had an absolutely horrible experience trying to get it installed. First off, you have to get the pieces wet to place them on the unit. If the pieces or your hands get dry, you can't position the shield easily at all. I was very careful, but it still makes me nervous having water around my $300 player. For the rear panel piece, it took me 6 tries to finally get it properly in place, and I'm still not 100% satisfied with the way the little wings fold around the corners. For the front pieces, I again took 2 or 3 tries getting everything perfectly lined up and once the skin dried there were visible fingerprints and dust trapped under the skin. I've removed the front pieces again and am going to try completely washing them and then re-applying. At this point, I feel like I'd pay another $20 just to have the company install this $25 piece of plastic on my player. Again, the product seems to be very high quality, but applying it and having it look professional has been a huge ordeal for me.

Old 06-07-2006, 12:34 PM

It was a pain to put it on but if you follow the instruction of having a shallow dish with soap water, let it sit blah blah, it went on fine (at least for me). I literally doused my BSE with it, so it's completely wet. I guess I didnt think it would kill the creative so I felt confident taking time to adjust it. And yes, keep all fingers wet with the soap water mix.

The corners basically, you fold them in when it's almost dry (1 hour after the front gets applied). Then I let it sit 24 hours before I began using it. Worked out pretty well for me.

I didn't bother with the back and the sides, I figured they're scratch-proof enough for me.

Old 06-07-2006, 03:12 PM

Thumbs up

I opted for the Invisible Shield. I bought the Invisible Shield product before I received my zen (which took forever via Crutchfield) and applied to Zen straight out of the box. Took me about hour to put on (w/ a bowl of soapy water handy). I must admit it was a bitch to get right. When I finished it didn't look that great but after 24 hours all the bubbles were gone. This product has been great. The Shield seems like it would be hard to scratch even if I wanted to. I have taken my Zen camping, mnt bike riding, stuck in my pocket, etc... Thumbs up! 5/5

Old 06-08-2006, 07:48 AM

To update my above post, I now have my Invisible Shield installed and looking nice. I also went with the soapy water bowl method instead of just using the included spray. The key for me was getting over the fact the player was going to get wet, and just do it. I put the skin pieces in the water, let the soap run off, then put the soaked pieces on the player and slid them into place. Like OhMy, mine looked disappointing at first and I had very visible white fingerprints from where I had handled the top screen piece during my first botched installation. However, after sitting overnight the prints are almost completely gone and I am a satisfied IS customer. For those of you who get one of these skins, make sure you use the soapy water bowl method and don't worry about a little bit of water on the player. I wouldn't go dunking your Zen in the bowl, but a little water isn't going to hurt it.