android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Insignia > Insignia Pilot

Old 09-26-2008, 03:35 PM

Default Why are my converted videos larger than the originals?

Hello. First of all, I love the pilot.. I love it so much that I bought a 16gb transcend sdhc card for it to increase the space. My problem is that, I have a bunch of mp4 movies that I like to convert to my pilot. Unfortunately, 6 movies took almost 5gb away, and that pissed me off. The original video are about 300mb, but when I convert it. It adds the space to 400mb. How can I convert the video to a lesser space with a good quality and audio. I am using the conversion software that came with it.
By the way, is there a manual for the pilot on the website? I need it to learn more about the mp3 player.

Is insignia pilot txt file suppose to be grey like that? How can I read my songs lyrics and play songs without going back and forth while pausing and reading lyrics and stuff. Can you pause your song while reading the text lyrics at the same time? I swear, we need to fix this problem. I want to be able to fastforward/rewind song while reading the txt lyrics. I don't want to go back and forth. It's complicated.. Although it's a plus because it supports text files.

Last edited by Tobey; 10-02-2008 at 05:49 PM. Reason: merged posts

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-02-2008, 05:47 PM
Insignia Moderator

Your audio/video bitrates are set higher than the source material, so that's why it's making them bigger. I haven't used it in a while, but I think you do it by clicking the pencil button next to the conversion profiles in the converter. You can also trim a little more fat off by lowering the framerate. 25fps is fine for live action and 20 fps is fine for cartoons.

Yes, the text viewer is supposed to be grey. There's no way to control music player functions while viewing text files. It wasn't really meant to be used as lyrics veiwer, but I don't think it was meant to be a text viewer either... It was just an afterthought.

Old 10-02-2008, 07:11 PM

What should my audio and video bitrate suppose to be? My audio bitrate is at 128kbps and my video bitrate is 512kbps. My frame per second is 29.97. Thanks for responding.

Well.. that sucks for the txt viewer. I'm sure there's never going to be an update for the pilot because I think they gonna come out with a new insignia player next year.

Last edited by David K; 10-02-2008 at 07:25 PM.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:15 PM
Insignia Moderator

I can't really tell you what to use, as it depends greatly on the source material. You should experiment and see what looks best to you. But set the video bitrate to 256kbps, and go down from there. Anything higher is a waste of space; the difference between 256Kbps and 512kbps is hardly noticeable on a 2.4" screen.

Also, I recommend you use WMV instead of MPEG4. The Pilot seems to do better with WMV.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:30 PM

Avi seems to work well so far. As for WMV, I've never used that because the converting is so slow. Alright, I'll stop using 512kbs.. It does seems like a waste of space. I've converted almost all videos at that rate, but I'll just keep it at that. I'm done with converting, but I have a few more videos to convert to my pilot. I have about 5 gigs left for external and 2gb left for internal. I know many people doesn't really use the video function, but I found it very useful when I'm out there.. ..
Eventhough we don't have an update, I'll just claim this is the best player I ever have. Thanks for your help tobey.