android
Old 10-05-2008, 10:03 PM

Default zen problems

so i've had my zen vision m for almost 3 years i think now, never had a problem with it. well, all of a sudden when i plug it into my computer windows doesnt respond to it. i can charge it through a wall outlet just fine, and even when i hook it up to my computer it turns on my zen. however, my zen vision m media explorer doesnt register as it being hooked up, nor can i find it in device manager.

also, my zen started taking about a minute to boot up.

any ideas/suggestions or is my zen just dying?

thanks, all help will be appreciated.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-06-2008, 06:49 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hello supercomputer500. Welcome. Any chance you can try a different USB cable or a different USB port? Perhaps even a second computer as well? Keep in mind, if Windows is not detecting the ZVM and device manager loading the driver for it without error, no software will be able to detect it correctly.

You also may want to consider booting into Recovery Mode and selecting Cleanup from the menu. A Cleanup should correct any possible database issues the ZVM may be having causing a delay in startup.

Zen FAQ

Old 10-07-2008, 10:05 PM

its not the usb port as i tried it in 2 different computers, ill try it with a different usb cable though

Old 10-08-2008, 04:59 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Ok, good luck and let me know.

Zen FAQ

Old 10-08-2008, 06:46 PM

well, i didnt try a different usb cable because i know mine is fine. whenever i plug my zen into my computer, itll turn my zen on but wont register on my computer.

Old 10-08-2008, 06:48 PM
Ultra Senior Member

That doesn't mean it is working correctly or not. that just means power is being detected. i would still try another cable.

Zen FAQ

Old 10-13-2008, 08:10 PM

so i finally got around to it, and using a different usb cord did work, thanks a lot . however, i still have to issues id like to solve. whenever my zen is off for a few hours or more, it will take 1-2 minutes to boot up. also, in my zen explorer, when i click browse media, a windows internet explorer window will pop open and instantly close. i can still add media with the add media function though.

thanks again.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:02 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercomputer500 View Post
so i finally got around to it, and using a different usb cord did work, thanks a lot .
No problem.

Quote:
whenever my zen is off for a few hours or more, it will take 1-2 minutes to boot up.
So, basically after it finally powers all the way down from stand-by mode.... It can be as easy as you just needed to boot into Recovery Mode and do a Cleanup to more severe like the beginning of a hard drive going out. I would just start with a Cleanup to see if that helps.

Quote:
also, in my zen explorer, when i click browse media, a windows internet explorer window will pop open and instantly close. i can still add media with the add media function though.
So, does the browser window actually try to go anywhere? Sounds like a software issue to me. Maybe uninstall the Creative software or reinstall.

Zen FAQ