android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > SanDisk Sansa > Sansa e200 > Sansa e200 General

Old 10-05-2008, 10:27 PM

Default Sansa Updater Issues (usually error #1003 and sometimes error #1007)

I updated to the new Sansa Updater for my e270 (v1) and all goes well. I see there's a new version of SMC there so I download and try to install that. It refuses to install so via the links offered by this forum in the FAQs, I grab it manually and install. It appears to work fine. However, ever since, the Sansa Updater has been given me various errors (#1003 as below and sometimes #1007 so far) and that if it persists to contact Sandisk support. E.G., I just tried yet again and this time it says, "The following failure has occured: Faild to complete the update. If the problem persist, please contact tech support at Sandisk Support with the following error code #1003". I've even tried System Restore (am running Vista) which says it's successful, but does not fix the issue with Sansa Updater. I had thought of calling or emailing Sandisk tech support but knowing how tech support for some companies is iffy (you may get great support or may get nowhere, depending on the company or who you get answering), I am reluctant to do so. P.S., I did make sure I was in MSC mode when running the updater.

Any help with this is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

UPDATE: Murphy's law decided that without me doing anything further to try the fix the issue, that the Sansa Updater is now working as it should except it thinks I don't have the latest version of SMC (despite the fact I installed it from link mentioned here http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23209 and is also a sticky) on this very site including a link to 1.0.4.236 on Sansa's very own site!

Mods: if you feel this should now be moved to the Sansa e200 Video & Sansa Media Converter forum, please feel free to do so as I'm not sure whether it should stay here in Sansa e200 General as initially my issue was for the Sansa Updater but now that the part of the issue is fixed, and with the Updater thinking I don't have the latest version of SMC, it may have become an SMC issue and as such, am not sure which forum, my issue now belongs in.

Last edited by chume; 10-05-2008 at 10:52 PM. Reason: Update on progress of issue

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-06-2008, 12:55 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I have never really liked SMC or that Sansa Firmware Updater. I think it has too many bugs. Since you have v1, you might look into Rockbox unless you use DRM on your Sansa. Rockbox's video is lots easier then the Sansa's firmware video playback.

Old 10-06-2008, 06:42 AM

Unfortunately, I do use DRM'd music on my Sansa occasionally. However, I am now using non-DRM'd music more and more if the online store offers it (ITunes Plus,e.g., which can be converteed using ITunes to MP3 files since they're unprotected AACs for the Plus version of songs). For those that are DRM'd, since it's legal to do so in my country, I burn to rewritable CD, then rip back as MP3 files. Since the Firmware Updater is now the only program giving me issues (thinking I don't have the latest version of SMC, when I do) and as you said, is somewhat buggy, I figure worst case is I can update the firmware (not the updater unless folks know of a link here for manual install if/when a new version comes out) and SMC manually if needbe following the instructions in one of the FAQs/stickys here. I have/read heard that Rockbox can be dualbooted with the Sansa's native firmware -- would DRM'd music still work using this option and would I be able to update both the native firmware as well as Rockbox via this method? (becoming less of an issue for me as I try to buy non-DRM'd music if I can.)

Old 10-06-2008, 10:28 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Yes, the Sansa will be dual boot with the Sansa firmware and Rockbox. Since you have DRM, they will not play in Rockbox then.

Old 10-06-2008, 02:00 PM

That's fine if the DRM'd files won't play in Rockbox but will play in the Sansa's own firmware via dualboot. Thanks for the help .

Old 10-06-2008, 02:11 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yep, your welcome.

Tags
e270, sandisk, sansa, smc, updater