android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen X-Fi

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-31-2008, 06:43 AM
DanyCH DanyCH is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 11
Default Received my X-FI 32gb today, minor panic!

Hi guys.

This seems like a nice community for people to discuss and offer advice for their Zen products. I am glad I have stumbled across it!

Anyways - I got my X-FI 32gb model from Amazon today. 149.99, which I thought was a bargain price. I have actually sold my Archos 605 160gb to fund this mp3 player - so it best be worth it!

Ordered a wall plug off eBay few days ago - and it came today same time as X-FI, which was nice timing.

Opened box - first impressions were good. Nice packaging, player slightly smaller than expected but I am pleased with this - it's the reason I got rid of my Archos. Heard great things about the headphones but I am yet to test them. Hopefully they'll be a huge step up from my current Sennheiser headphones I currently have and used with my Archos.

After reading the documentation that came with it I then decided the first thing to do would be to give the player a good 4/5 hour charge. I plugged my wall plug into the socket and attached the provided USB cable into it and into the Zen. Flicked switch on and voila - Zen shown me that it was charging. Lovely. I was curious as to whether, if I turned Zen on whilst it was on its initial charge, it would damage the battery life in the long-term. Did a quick Google search and it seems it wouldn't - so I turned on the Zen whilst it was still on charge. Looked fine, worked great so turned it right back off. Hour later, still on charge, and I noticed that the charging indicator was no longer being displayed on the screen. Hm, seemed quite strange. Surely it wouldn't be ready after a mere hour? Attempted to turn on player, nothing.

Wouldn't go on. Panic sets in. Took USB cable out and attempted to turn it back on. Nope, won't work. Held slider on back for 3/4 seconds to ON position but still wouldn't turn on. Okay major panic now - I've just shelled out 150 for this and now it doesn't work. That's where I found this forum(!). Google searched for problems with charging Zen, and stumbled across somebody on this forum suggesting holding down the play/pause button whilst putting a pen/pin into reset button and moving slider to ON. It worked, it came on. Phew. Still had no idea why it wasn't going on automatically though. Plugged USB back in, but this time into computer as it wasn't picking it up from the wall. Haven't attempted it since from the wall, but it still attached to comp for another 1/2 hours to give it a good charge.

So I am at the stage of coming to the end of my initial charge to set up the battery for a long, happy battery-life. I hope Media Monkey works to sync the device, 'cos that's where all my music is nicely tagged and saved in. I am sure it will work!

I may post a full review later on once I have transferred my music and some video to it.

I also hope this is a one-off problem and it isn't going to happen again. I always feel that my electronics mess up for me!

- DanyCH
Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

  #2  
Old 12-31-2008, 06:58 AM
venality venality is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 56
Default

omg, i'd freak out if that happened to me, i always just use my PC to charge it as for im always on it.and all my outlets are being used haha with lights, tv, 2 computers, 2 monitors, cellphone charger, fan, alarm clock mini fridge, blah you get the point XD my room probably uses most power in all of house... and im rambling hah,

any way, Glad to hear it ended up working, magnificent player, magnificent sound.


Zen X-fi 32 gig, ibasso D2 boa [Headphone amp/dac], AKG K701 Headphones [epic headphones of awesome <3]
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old 12-31-2008, 07:04 AM
DanyCH DanyCH is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 11
Default

Well it is still charging. It's 1pm here now, and it's been on charge since 10am.

I'm going to leave it 'til 2pm, then I will take it off. Just sync'd a few albums to it, so will go and have a shower and grab some lunch, then come back and give it a test
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old 12-31-2008, 07:12 AM
venality venality is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 56
Default

sweet, I added music to mine right after i got it didnt really charge it hah, and i can go a week with general use with out needing to charge.
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old 12-31-2008, 07:23 AM
ColinN ColinN is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 11
Default

How did you manage to find it for 150? Cheapest I've found for the 32GB model is 170 at dabs.com....
Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old 12-31-2008, 08:02 AM
DanyCH DanyCH is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinN View Post
How did you manage to find it for 150? Cheapest I've found for the 32GB model is 170 at dabs.com....
Hah - I got lucky at Amazon.co.uk.

Ordered it on the 28th for 149.99, by the 29th it had shot up 35 to 185.00 or something.

Lucky me I guess.

Really impressed with their free delivery though. The delivery estimate is 6th Jan...
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old 12-31-2008, 08:24 AM
DanyCH DanyCH is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by venality View Post
sweet, I added music to mine right after i got it didnt really charge it hah, and i can go a week with general use with out needing to charge.
Wow, that's damn impressive!

My Archos had a pathetic battery life. Really, it was disgraceful. A 10 hour charge would last about 10 hours music or bout 3 hours video.

I got rid of it because it was far too big. This Zen is literally about one sixth the size of the Archos. I finally have a player that can fit in my pocket!
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old 01-01-2009, 09:34 AM
BobbyRS's Avatar
BobbyRS BobbyRS is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 6,575
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanyCH View Post
Hi guys.

This seems like a nice community for people to discuss and offer advice for their Zen products. I am glad I have stumbled across it!
Welcome DanyCH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanyCH View Post
Google searched for problems with charging Zen, and stumbled across somebody on this forum suggesting holding down the play/pause button whilst putting a pen/pin into reset button and moving slider to ON. It worked, it came on. ...... Plugged USB back in, but this time into computer as it wasn't picking it up from the wall.
The Zen should be detected by the computer/Windows the same regardless of booted into the firmware or Recovery Mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanyCH View Post
Well it is still charging. It's 1pm here now, and it's been on charge since 10am.

I'm going to leave it 'til 2pm, then I will take it off.
The Zen should be fully charged (or close too if severely depleted) by now. I would be concerned about a battery issue. Just for a precaution, if you just purchased the Zen, I would consider returning it to the place you purchased it from for a replacement.
__________________
.
~Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear to be bright until they speak~

Zen FAQ
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old 01-01-2009, 10:19 AM
DanyCH DanyCH is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
Welcome DanyCH.
The Zen should be fully charged (or close too if severely depleted) by now. I would be concerned about a battery issue. Just for a precaution, if you just purchased the Zen, I would consider returning it to the place you purchased it from for a replacement.
Hi Bobby.

Why would you consider sending the Zen back?

After my panic it's been running perfectly. Plus I had it on for about 3 hours straight last night on X-FI mode and it hardly touched the battery. Still looks bout 80% full at the moment.

Surely the warranty will cover me if it breaks within a year?

Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old 01-01-2009, 10:25 AM
BobbyRS's Avatar
BobbyRS BobbyRS is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 6,575
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanyCH View Post
Why would you consider sending the Zen back?

After my panic it's been running perfectly. Plus I had it on for about 3 hours straight last night on X-FI mode and it hardly touched the battery. Still looks bout 80% full at the moment.
...because I wouldn't put up with a brand new device having power issues like your had regardless if it is running fine now.

Quote:
I would be concerned about a battery issue. Just for a precaution....
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanyCH View Post
Surely the warranty will cover me if it breaks within a year?
Yes, it should.
__________________
.
~Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear to be bright until they speak~

Zen FAQ
Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old 01-01-2009, 11:05 AM
DanyCH DanyCH is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
...because I wouldn't put up with a brand new device having power issues like your had regardless if it is running fine now.
Thanks Bobby!

Problem is I have registered it now with Creative, and also uploaded all my media to it

Im not sure what the problem was, but if it happens again then I think would be the time to get it checked out.
Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old 01-01-2009, 11:15 AM
BobbyRS's Avatar
BobbyRS BobbyRS is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 6,575
Default

It's your call. I was just stating what I would do. It can be much easier and quicker to deal with a store's/website's return policy than deal with Creative's warranty return/replacement.
__________________
.
~Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear to be bright until they speak~

Zen FAQ
Reply With Quote

  #13  
Old 01-01-2009, 11:45 AM
DanyCH DanyCH is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
It's your call. I was just stating what I would do. It can be much easier and quicker to deal with a store's/website's return policy than deal with Creative's warranty return/replacement.
Can certainly imagine that.

I might drop Amazon a line to see what their returns policy is. If I was to tell them I had a problem with it and wished to have it replaced would they have an obligation to do so, or would they do some sort of testing on it or something to determine if it is actually dodgy?

Just thinking.. because it works like a charm atm, and nobody could tell I had a problem with it.
Reply With Quote

  #14  
Old 01-01-2009, 01:08 PM
BobbyRS's Avatar
BobbyRS BobbyRS is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 6,575
Default

Like I said, it's your call. Amazon is actually one of the better online retailers for returning/replacing items.
__________________
.
~Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear to be bright until they speak~

Zen FAQ
Reply With Quote

  #15  
Old 01-02-2009, 02:51 AM
DanyCH DanyCH is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 11
Default

Wow - Amazon are great.

I asked them if they would extend the refund/replacement past the 30 days and until the mp3 player is back in stock there, so that, if I have the problem again in the meantime, I can send it back to them when there is stock again - which will be between 4 and 6 weeks.

Quote:
Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting Amazon.co.uk.

As per your request we request you to wait until the item is listed in stock, if you encounter the same defect with in this time, please contact us and we will be creating the replacement or refund as per your request.

Thank you for writing to Amazon.co.uk with your enquiry.
That's pretty good. If 4 weeks passes and I encounter any problems with it I can now send it back to them and just get a brand new one.

Brillo!
Reply With Quote

  #16  
Old 01-02-2009, 08:16 AM
BobbyRS's Avatar
BobbyRS BobbyRS is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 6,575
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanyCH View Post
Wow - Amazon are great.


Quote:
Originally Posted by DanyCH View Post
That's pretty good. If 4 weeks passes and I encounter any problems with it I can now send it back to them and just get a brand new one.
Yeah, that is pretty good of them.
__________________
.
~Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear to be bright until they speak~

Zen FAQ
Reply With Quote

  #17  
Old 01-02-2009, 05:02 PM
ColinN ColinN is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanyCH View Post
I asked them if they would extend the refund/replacement past the 30 days and until the mp3 player is back in stock there, so that, if I have the problem again in the meantime, I can send it back to them when there is stock again - which will be between 4 and 6 weeks.
Ah, that might be why it's gone back up to 209, as they're only selling it through one of their Amazon Marketplace sellers ATM.

Weird happenings at dabs.com though, which was 170 on the 31st and went up to 178 yesterday; so much for post Christmas sales!!

I'll probably end up with an iPod classic now though..... (please don't ban me!! ; I didn't want an iPod but looking at all the specs it looks like the best one for the job.... (plus, for once, it's a decent price as well).
Reply With Quote

  #18  
Old 01-02-2009, 08:54 PM
BobbyRS's Avatar
BobbyRS BobbyRS is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 6,575
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinN View Post
I'll probably end up with an iPod classic now though..... (please don't ban me!! ; I didn't want an iPod but looking at all the specs it looks like the best one for the job.... (plus, for once, it's a decent price as well).
Wait..... you've looked at the specs compared to other players discussed around here and you still want one?
__________________
.
~Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear to be bright until they speak~

Zen FAQ
Reply With Quote

  #19  
Old 01-11-2009, 09:28 PM
captincaveman captincaveman is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: down under
Posts: 69
Default

looks like colinn has been sucked in to the land of the sheep....

bye bye colinn.....

(tho you cant really blame him.. if he's looking for a large hd player that's not a brick
where do you go) shame he cant rockbox the classic....gutted! lol
Reply With Quote

  #20  
Old 01-12-2009, 03:48 PM
venality venality is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 56
Default

I don't think the zen plays well with wall chargers, mine wouldnt turn on for a while just earlier... scared the shit out of me haha but its all good now hah thank god. 32gigs of my life :P
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:28 AM.