android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen X-Fi

Old 01-13-2009, 12:56 PM

Default Zen X-Fi 8GB won't turn on without removing SD card

This was really really annoying before i figured out it was an issue with the SD card.

I am using the SanDisk 8GB MicroSDHC which shows up on creatives compatible SD card list.

symptoms - after having the Zen X-Fi sit around for a bit, it just wouldn't turn on - until i plug it back into a PC USB port, which it boots immediately after plugging it in. After i remove it from the PC, it seems like it turns on and off fine, but then after it sits for a while, it behaves the exact same way.

Using the RESET only worked some of the time, to get it to turn on. but with the SD card removed - it turns on everytime now.

Wish i would have figured it out before i formatted the thing a few times, and updated the new firmware. I kind of like the included Images - which i didn't backup.

(if anyone has a backup of the included wallpapers, or other files - let me know! THANKS!)

p.s. aside from the crappy SD card integration, lack of video games, having to resize videos, a terrible included media manager, and this not turning on issue - its a pretty nice player?

It looks really nice anyway, love the build quality, gui is sharp, and sound and video quality is excellent, as are the included headphones. I definitely do like the player - but they could have ironed out the quirks.

Thanks for looking!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-13-2009, 12:58 PM

Did you try formatting the SD card through Windows Explorer? That might work.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:04 PM

I'm almost positive that won't change a thing, but i will try it and report back.

It does the same thing with other brand/type SD cards also.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:07 PM

That's weird. I'd hate to jump to conclusions and say it, but you might need to return it. Or wait, there might be some stupid detail I'm missing because I don't own a Zen

Old 01-13-2009, 01:12 PM

I mainly posted this because i know others have had the same issue/symptoms (won't turn on if it sits for a while - but seems to work fine after its plugged into USB),

but no one mentioned the workaround - taking out the SD card.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:23 AM
Ultra Senior Member

(In idle state) SD cards draw very little power when not in a read (around 40-50mA) or write state (around 50-60mA); usually just microamps (uA). When the device is truly off, they shouldn't be drawing any power. You mention this happens with any SD card you try correct? So, besides a defect in the SD card slot, I wonder if this is related to the Suspend/Sleep mode.... I'm thinking there may be a bug in how the ACPI code may be handling the SD card power while in suspend/sleep mode. You did mention that this happens after the Zen sits for a while. Well, after about 2 hours the Zen will finally power down completely from being in Sleep Mode. It is at this point in time, I am thinking that this issue begins and prevents the Zen to power back on due to the possibility of the power not being cut completely to the SD card/slot and preventing the battery to enter it's ready state that's needed to power back on. As a test, try disabling the Idle and Sleep Timers to see if the problem changes:

Sleep Timer:
- On the main menu, select System -> Player Settings --> Sleep Timer

Idle Timer:

- On the main menu, select System -> Player Settings --> Idle Shutdown

Zen FAQ

Old 01-15-2009, 09:32 AM

update:

Sleep Timer was already - off
I put Idle timer to - off

So far it seems to be working!

Hope this is all that's needed. I'll be sure to post up if it acts flaky again - but right now it really seems like this fixed my issue. It usually only takes a couple hours before i have issues turning it on - but now i've had a 4, and 6 hour periods of off time, without issue. I'll post back in a few days when i know for sure.

Thanks!

Old 01-15-2009, 05:08 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Good to hear dexmix! Please keep us updated.

Zen FAQ

Old 01-16-2009, 08:39 PM

FWIW, some iPaqs have a similar problem; the battery drains quickly, like just a couple of hours sometimes, when it's left off with an SD card inserted.

Old 01-20-2009, 01:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yeah, power leaks can be challenging when utilizing dynamic power management. Creative, if you're watching, you really need to take care of this issue. My wild guess is that the firmware ACPI code is not managing the Dynamic Power correctly when in (or put in) idle/sleep/stand-by modes.

Zen FAQ