android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-12-2008, 12:58 PM
slewis1972 slewis1972 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 8
Default Zen 4gb loads but thats it - blank screen - ahh

Hi All

A mates got a 4gb Zen, was given to him as a gift, and of course, now no receipt so he cannot get any support on it.

It turns on, goes through the "Creative ZEN" start up screens but then it freezes on a blank screen and needs to be reset.

Anyone seen this before and is it dead as a dodo or will a forced reload firmware fix it?

Trying to help him as I have the 16gb version.

Any advice appreciated or is the famous WSOD issues that I just found a thread on?

If so, and he needs to get it repaired, has anyone got round not sending in a receipt to get it covered under warranty?

Scott

Last edited by slewis1972; 10-12-2008 at 01:12 PM.
Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

  #2  
Old 10-12-2008, 07:48 PM
mc.p2 mc.p2 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 67
Default

If he is getting to the start up screens then it should be fixable with a firmware reload.
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old 10-13-2008, 03:28 PM
BobbyRS's Avatar
BobbyRS BobbyRS is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 6,575
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewis1972 View Post
It turns on, goes through the "Creative ZEN" start up screens but then it freezes on a blank screen and needs to be reset.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc.p2 View Post
If he is getting to the start up screens then it should be fixable with a firmware reload.
That would depend on what is displayed on the screen. Which startup logo screen specifically? The "Creative" screen or the "Zen" screen?

The process behind the Creative logo screen is the bootloader and the loading of the Recovery Mode if called upon. The process behind the Zen logo screen is the loading of the firmware/OS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewis1972 View Post
Any advice appreciated or is the famous WSOD issues that I just found a thread on?
Seeing how you said the screen shows a logo screen and then goes blank, I doubt it is the WSOD. Is the screen a white color or stays all black?

Go here and download the correct and most current firmware. Then try booting into Recovery Mode and doing a Firmware Reload. See the Zen FAQ for more information.
__________________
.
~Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear to be bright until they speak~

Zen FAQ
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old 10-15-2008, 11:41 AM
slewis1972 slewis1972 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 8
Default

ok - got hold of it.

Looks like when it loads its trying to start a song then dies, not physically shutting down, just screen going blank.

Went into recovery mode. First tried disc cleanup - no go. Tried to reload firmware, each time the proces fails. Tried all versions of fw inc its orginal and US ones - same thing fails.

Also used the creative recovery console - same thing as stright firmware upload.

Also tried a format, no joy.

Strange one, when connected to a pc (when zen is in recovery mode as only time pc recognises its attched) storage media is only saying 50mb, yet when I do a format is says just under 4000mb.

Any ideas or is it just fubarred?

Scott
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old 10-15-2008, 11:51 AM
BobbyRS's Avatar
BobbyRS BobbyRS is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 6,575
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewis1972 View Post
First tried disc cleanup - no go. Tried to reload firmware, each time the proces fails. Tried all versions of fw inc its orginal and US ones - same thing fails.

Also used the creative recovery console - same thing as stright firmware upload.

Also tried a format, no joy.
When you say things like "no go", "fails", and "no joy", what exactly is happening? Any error messages?

Quote:
Strange one, when connected to a pc (when zen is in recovery mode as only time pc recognises its attched) storage media is only saying 50mb, yet when I do a format is says just under 4000mb.
That is because there is no longer firmware installed on the Zen. When you select Reload Firmware from within Recovery Mode, this erases the currently installed firmware. When there is no firmware installed on the Zen, Windows will show a 50MB partition. This 50MB partition is the partition set aside for the installation of the firmware that you do not see when the firmware is installed and booted within it. The 4000MB format is correct due to this being the partition set aside for data outside of the firmware (user files).

What kind of troubleshooting have you done? Have you made sure you are using the USB ports on the back of the computer instead of case ports or a hub? Have you tried changing ports? Have you tried another USB cable? Have you tried connecting and updating the firmware using another computer? Of course none of this will really matter if you actually have a hardware issue with the Zen.
__________________
.
~Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear to be bright until they speak~

Zen FAQ
Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old 10-16-2008, 01:34 AM
slewis1972 slewis1972 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 8
Default

Hi

When I mean no go, meaning it did not work.

But the fact you said the 50mb bit is for the firmware, then that explains why it fails.

And yes, I have now tried it on diferent machines, and several different ports. Each time, it just goes firmware update failed.

No other error messages when it fails, nor on the screen of the device. Really weird. My own Zen 16gb updates fine.

Scott
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old 10-16-2008, 08:00 AM
BobbyRS's Avatar
BobbyRS BobbyRS is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 6,575
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewis1972 View Post
When I mean no go, meaning it did not work.
I know what you mean. I just wanted to know what is happening exactly. There can be a ton of reason why something doesn't work. This is why specifics are needed to troubleshoot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewis1972 View Post
But the fact you said the 50mb bit is for the firmware, then that explains why it fails.
Not really why it fails. It just further shows that the upgrade did fail since no firmware exists; the reason why you can even see the 50MB partition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewis1972 View Post
And yes, I have now tried it on diferent machines, and several different ports. Each time, it just goes firmware update failed.

No other error messages when it fails, nor on the screen of the device. Really weird. My own Zen 16gb updates fine.
Are you using the same USB cable as the 16GB Zen that works? Another reason that a firmware load could fail is because the filesystem is corrupted. To repair a corrupt filesystem you need to do a Format from within Recovery Mode (do twice) before attempting to select the Reload Firmware option and then connecting to the computer to install the firmware. Keep in mind that a Format will erase all data you have put on the Zen so hopefully you have it all backed-up.
__________________
.
~Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear to be bright until they speak~

Zen FAQ
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old 11-13-2008, 07:51 PM
lalper lalper is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
I know what you mean. I just wanted to know what is happening exactly. There can be a ton of reason why something doesn't work. This is why specifics are needed to troubleshoot.



Not really why it fails. It just further shows that the upgrade did fail since no firmware exists; the reason why you can even see the 50MB partition.



Are you using the same USB cable as the 16GB Zen that works? Another reason that a firmware load could fail is because the filesystem is corrupted. To repair a corrupt filesystem you need to do a Format from within Recovery Mode (do twice) before attempting to select the Reload Firmware option and then connecting to the computer to install the firmware. Keep in mind that a Format will erase all data you have put on the Zen so hopefully you have it all backed-up.

Been through all of that and still having the same stupid firmware upgrade failure... The same with the 50M partition. Please Help! There is no guarantee coverage here in Latin America... this was a great player for almost a year and now is done? I was expecting a little of more service from the Zen....
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old 11-14-2008, 02:13 PM
BobbyRS's Avatar
BobbyRS BobbyRS is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 6,575
Default

Welcome lalper. Are you using WinXP? What version of WMP is installed? Have you reformatted before trying to reload the firmware?

Try reinstalling the driver and reinstalling WMP (MTP):

To re-install the Zen's MTP driver and MTP if not being recognized correctly:

1. With the Zen connected, in Device Manager, expand the Potable Device category.
2. Right click on the Creative Zen listing and slect the Uninstall from the menu.
3. Once it is uninstalled, disconnect the Zen from the USB port.
4. Reinstall WMP10 or WMP11 (WMP11 recommended).
5. Reboot the computer, then plug the Zen back in and take note in Device Manager that it installs and loads the driver properly without error.
6. Once it reinstalls and loads the driver properly, open My Computer and see if it shows correctly.
7. If you can see the Zen, then execute the firmware installation.
__________________
.
~Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear to be bright until they speak~

Zen FAQ
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:21 AM.