android
Old 10-23-2008, 06:38 PM

Unhappy e436 video problems

~~~SOLVED - READ 9th POST~~~ ;D

Alright

1. So last week, I got my e436 and put two episodes of South park on it (.mp4) I watched both and they played great.

2. A few days ago, I had two other episodes on it, I watched the first one and everything went well.

Then during the second one, the player crashed/shut down with about 1 minute left of the episode. I turned it back on, selected the episode again and fast-forwarded to the part where it stopped, and the player crashed again.

I deleted the episode, reconverted it, put it back on the player but it crashed again during that episode with about 1 minute remaining.

I put two other different episodes on, the first one I watched was great and then the second had the same problem. (crashing with 1-2 min. remaining)

3. Today, I put two episodes on yet again, but this time this is what happens to both of them: the first frame of the vid freezes on the screen but the whole soundtrack of the vid keeps playing normally. Totally different problem than before, urgh!

Before hitting the reset switch with a needle, I want to wait and see if anyone has some advice, and I will keep posting stuff that I try as I troubleshoot. Thanks.

Note: The 2 demo vids that came on the player work perfectly fine.

Last edited by nwz; 10-26-2008 at 05:35 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-23-2008, 07:05 PM

Ok, so far any .mp4 I put on it, one at a time or 2 at a time, with Windows Explorer or Content transfer, has the first frame frozen with rainbow lines etc.

Old 10-23-2008, 07:42 PM

so far .mp4's aren't working on the player anymore but .wmv's synchronized with WMP11 are still working....

I will probably still reset the player tomorrow or so, should I?

Old 10-23-2008, 08:30 PM

wow, how unlucky am I? i started watching one of the .wmv's and guess what; soon the after the episode starts the sound is out of sync with the picture.

Great job WMP11, considering that I had converted the original .avi into an 320x240 .wmv beforehand!

*Sigh*

Guess I will reset tomorrow

Old 10-23-2008, 08:43 PM

I just drag my video files onto my player without issues. I only use WMP11 to sync my music.

Sony NWZ-A728B, Sony NWZ-A816, iPod Shuffle 1GB

Old 10-23-2008, 11:23 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Go into the players settings menu and reformat the player - TWICE!!! You'll lose all the things you've already synced, but reformatting w/a Sony usually solves these minor glitches that occasionally pop up sometimes. Also, reset the player to default BEFORE you reformat the player.

Old 10-24-2008, 05:12 PM

Unfortunately I've tried resetting and formatting numerous times now and still no luck.

.mp4's don't play, .wmv's do seem to play but the sound goes out of sync again like yesterday.

The player is still good for music, pics and radio though...

Old 10-25-2008, 03:56 PM

Have you contacted Sony Support?
http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/support-contacts.pl?
There is support for portable audio/video on that page.
They might have the answer.

Old 10-26-2008, 05:34 PM

Yay, I got it fixed. For now it's working great!

I updated my 1.00 firmware to 1.02 from a download on the sony malaysia site (also available on sony asia pacific and sony europe I believe)

http://www.sony.com.my/support/downl...duct/nwz-e436f

-The last 3 symptoms described my situation quite well.
Quote:
Resolved Symptoms: With the above products, customers may experience the following symptoms. The symptoms will be fixed with this firmware update.
  • Title and album information attached files are not displayed correctly on the unit.
  • The unit turns off in a specific point, when playing MP4 files in Video Library.
  • The beginning of the video are skipped in a few seconds, when WMV files are played in Video Library.
  • Sometimes audio to video synchronization may not occur, when playing back movies.
It didn't work right away, I had to use the updater multiple times and restart my computer ( sometimes it said that I had 0.00 or 1.00 firmware.)

In the end it worked and I'm happy. Hopefully it will stay that way.

I'm just disappointed that the Sony USA and Canada sites, to my knowledge, have not posted this update yet. Luckily I found it in the A820/720 forum!

Last edited by nwz; 10-26-2008 at 07:55 PM.

Old 10-26-2008, 05:52 PM

Glad you got your issue solved. Enjoy.

Sony NWZ-A728B, Sony NWZ-A816, iPod Shuffle 1GB

Tags
.mp4, e436, problem, video