android
Old 10-25-2008, 08:22 AM

Default Battey life for the new S738

I got my S738 a couple of days ago.... everything`s nice. I like the sound and eveything...but....

My battery lasts about 10h or so.... didn`t measure, offcourse. One slash, out of 4, lasts about 2-3h....
But I use the screen a lot. Play, pause, select song etc. Maybe it`s that. The player is ok, and I don`t think that it`s faulty or manufacturers error..... Probably they claim the 40h for the lower quality and continuous playing without the screen...

Anyone got same issues?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-25-2008, 10:34 AM

Well I have the 728 model and have had no issues. But if your watching a lot of videos and playing with the screen a lot I would imagine that it does take away from the battery life. When they say 30 hours I am sure it is measured by just letting the player play music non stop and not going into the menus or playing videos and viewing photos.

Like MPG rating for City and Highway.

Sony NWZ-A728B, Sony NWZ-A816, iPod Shuffle 1GB

Old 10-25-2008, 01:19 PM

Yeah... tnx. I`m not watching videos at all.... but am constantly using it for selecting songs, volume, a bit playing with options (since the thing is new to me...).

But, again, I expected more... I`m a bit dissapoined. But I`m sure that it will pass as i start to just play music.

I`ve heared that they test the units only playing a file untill it dies, but this is not much batt life....

Do I have to charge it for 12h on the first run (like a cell phone.... keep it 12h on a charger first time...)? Or it does not matter?

Old 10-25-2008, 05:24 PM

screen brightness
number of audio "enhancement" features turned on
i don't use anything other than eq.
battery life also depends on file format and bitrate.
i remember reading that higher bitrate mp3s and such cut battery life pretty drastically on ipods.

Old 10-25-2008, 05:26 PM

as for the battery, google battery university for more info
no need to do first run charge babying.
just keep it charged up as often as possible to extend battery life span. full discharge is more wearing than partial

Old 10-25-2008, 11:19 PM

I play mine about 1 to 2 hours a day in my car. I have gone about 2 weeks without charging it. But for the most part I keep added or deleting songs so my player is hooked up to my PC at least every 2 to 3 days now so the battery really never goes down to much.

Sony NWZ-A728B, Sony NWZ-A816, iPod Shuffle 1GB

Old 10-26-2008, 12:18 AM

i just use a griffin cigarette lighter to usb for my car.

Old 10-26-2008, 02:01 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I just hook it to my cassette adapter and enjoy the tunes, SQ is EASILY better than the radio in my car (A829 - wonder if the new S Series is all that and a bag O chips though).

Old 10-26-2008, 07:12 AM

yea cassette adapters are pretty good..make fm transmitters look like garbage

Old 10-26-2008, 01:07 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frimframsauce View Post
yea cassette adapters are pretty good..make fm transmitters look like garbage
True, my Zune transmitter won't work in the car - too many stations interfering w/the signals to get a fix. As for battery life, I never really charge it more than once every 2 weeks. I use it sometimes 2-3hrs per day. My A829 holds a charge for a pretty long time then.

Old 10-26-2008, 09:00 PM

I got my S739 a week or so ago. Love it! I was 'forced' to go the 16g as the shop didn't have any 8g in stock..... ;-)

I have been testing the battery a little. I have found it lasts really well. It ran for just over 30 hours the other day. Admittedly that was solid playing but without very much screen use at all. Either using SensMe channels or on play all, and with eq on, and with a few other settings set. So I am pretty impressed. I pretty much turned it on when I went to bed and it lasted all the next day plus a bit more.......
I have only charged it for a few hours each time, with the exception of the first time when I left it charging and syncing overnight. Running it with WMP11 and syncing to 160 kbps WMA which is pretty good quality for most things and still sounds great with the headphones, and I have 3211 songs on there with more space to go.

Old 10-27-2008, 07:37 AM

Thats awesome!

I didn`t measure mine.... maybe I should just once just to check. But I`m satisfied anyway.... After the first chrge that lasted not much the second (still running) did fine.... Not the 30h, but at lesat about 15h, but consider that I use the screen a lot for song changing and because I listen it for 15min, than do something, than another 15min, than go somewhere, and so on.... So I think that mine is good.

Seems that the batteries in probably all the mp3 players out there are good, but get drained a lot if you tend to use the screen too much. This is my first video player so I don`t have any experience.

Old 07-12-2009, 05:06 AM

I got one unit of s739.

For mine, settings for equalizer - heavy, VPT - studio, volume - 12, VPT - studio, now left 1 bar after playing for total of 9.5hours from 08/07/09 to 11/07/09.

Is this normal???