android
Old 10-26-2008, 12:49 AM

Default Zune 80 Freezes/Locks up

Ever since I updated my Zune to the new 3.0 software it randomly freezes up when I try to play a song. No songs in particular cause it, just seems to happen at random but it's happened more than a few times now. Would a software restore (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927001/) fix this? I remember when I first updated to 3.0, I had problems with all the songs updating every time I sync'd, which would take forever. Deleting and re-syncing everything fixed that issue though.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-26-2008, 01:47 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I'd do a restore and re-installation of the 3.0 FW myself. It may be you need a clean slate to work with.

Old 10-26-2008, 03:37 PM

So basically just follow these instructions?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927001/

Old 10-26-2008, 03:39 PM
Zune Moderator

Exzactly

Old 10-26-2008, 04:18 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I just bookmarked the page on the MS website for future ref.

Old 10-26-2008, 06:36 PM

Alright, so I followed the instructions on the page and restored my Zune. Now when I plug it in to sync, it starts syncing but after maybe a few hundred songs it hangs, and the Zune software says the Zune is unresponsive. This has happened at least 3 times now and it's really frustrating. What's going on here?

Edit: Finally got it completely sync'd with my entire library, though the device must have hung/become unresponsive at least 10 times now. Has anyone else been having issues with the Zune 3.0 software/firmware? I have a feeling restoring it didn't fix my problem.

Last edited by ap0llo; 10-26-2008 at 07:51 PM.

Old 10-26-2008, 10:40 PM

Default reset the background picture

I read somewhere that if you've customized the background that that causes the hangs.

Reset it to the default.

Old 10-27-2008, 12:58 AM
Ultra Senior Member

My Zune software becomes unresponsive during syncs, so I've learned to leave it alone until it's finished. The software is a resource hog, so freezes and the like seem normal. I never expected it to be so sluggish myself, but it is. Now, as long as your Zune is running fine, all should be well. Personally, I'd re-install the Zune software just for peace of mind. Just don't wipe the Zune again, unless absolutely necessary.

Old 10-27-2008, 12:35 PM
Banned

Maybe it is updating your Collection, your device and the info for the Social.

I dont have much problems syncing more than 50GB of media to it besides the device getting a bit hot (warmer). if you have trouble syncing a lot of data, I recommend changing USB ports, resetting the Zune device or just syncing small sets of albums/media.

Old 10-27-2008, 06:14 PM

I have my background reset to plain black

The device actually froze, like became unresponsive to the software. The Zune software popped up a dialog box saying that it could not communicate with the Zune and to disconnect and reconnect it. I haven't had the issue in the past when I first synced it to about 30 gb of data, and then again a few weeks ago to about 50gb of data (to fix an updating issue when 3.0 came out).

So far so good though. I'm not resetting the device again and I'm definitely not reinstalling the software. Hope they fix the bugs though cause my Zune was running fine on the last firmware.

Last edited by ap0llo; 10-27-2008 at 06:23 PM.

Old 11-01-2008, 01:51 PM

^ Yeah it appears to be a 3.0 bug. I've seen quite a few posts on various Zune forums in regards to weird problems including freezing, restarting, track time not updating (staying at 0:00), progress bar not moving and a few other bugs.

I expect the Zune Team is working on fixing as many of them as they can and an update should be coming by December for the holidays (let's hope).

In the meantime there's a download for 2.5 still available on the net that we can downgrade to if any of these bugs are intolerable. My Zune should be arriving from repairs on Monday and I intend to install 2.5 if I can. I'll report back.

Last edited by Machiventa; 11-01-2008 at 02:00 PM.

Old 11-01-2008, 11:52 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I have the issue w/the player restarting the game Hexic while listening to tunes. Not a major issue, just annoying when I'm kickin' the games butt and it resets.

Old 11-02-2008, 11:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
I have the issue w/the player restarting the game Hexic while listening to tunes. Not a major issue, just annoying when I'm kickin' the games butt and it resets.
RE-install the games. it should not restart with Hexic and Texas Hold 'em. Mine works fine with these two official games.

Delete the games from the device using the games menu and reinstall the games by going to Settings - Device - DEvice Update in the software

Old 11-04-2008, 11:18 AM

Default same issue

I was having the issue with the zune locking up and freezing a lot too, it would also kind of skip on occasion. It mostly did this when I was jogging (I know you're not supposed to go running with a hard drive based PMP but.....whatever everyone does it should be able to handle it). I sent it in to repair a week and a half ago, still no word on it, I'm starting to get kinda worried

Old 11-05-2008, 12:08 AM

I also have this issue, but only when i hook it up to my Kicker speaker dock. but the thing is twice it has wiped all my music off the zune...i was on holiday and it did it the first night i was there this week. Very frustrating...it plays the song, freezes alwys on 21 secs, and if i pull it off the dock, twice it has told me it is going to wipe the contents...it doesnt freeze all the time...rarely, but it has froze twice with me having to sync my songs all over again...anyone know what i can do?

Old 11-05-2008, 06:12 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Cevapcici kid, try erasing and reformatting your Zune, seems to have helped me out:http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30624

Old 12-11-2008, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
I read somewhere that if you've customized the background that that causes the hangs.

Reset it to the default.
HELLLLLLLLLLLP! lol my zune screwed up and playing songs wouldn't work i am trying this and its working so far i will tell u how it ends up

Old 12-11-2008, 04:27 PM

i think its workin alright now man it sure takes a long time to sync 3400 songs still 14% hay thanks guys!