android
Old 02-21-2008, 08:22 PM

Default Potential ZEN buyer has questions!

Hi!

Can ZEN users help to answer the questions below?

1. I've heard that sound quality is rather bad for this player? How true is it? If paired with the ep630, how is the sound quality?

2. Is the voice recording good enough to record lectures with? Is the playback clear enough?

3. Can it display asian characters which I tagged using MM? Or, do I need to re-tag with Creative software?

4. And, I also heard there's a playback issue with wma? What's it about?

Thanks for any help!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-22-2008, 01:14 AM

1. Bad? Compared to what? If you compare it to a mainstream player such as the ipod it is definately better, however when compared to some of the irivers or cowons it is worse.

2. From what I tried out it would be ok. The actual microphone may not be good enough to capture sound from a great distance though.

3. I have no clue. I usually retag and then put it on the player.

4. Havent heard of this issue. I mainly use mp3s.

I would highly recomend purchasing this player. I was looking at the ipod touch and some other players, and I am extremely happy with my purchase. The build quality is good, as is the gui of the player. THe capacity may not be big enough for you (only 32 gb) but for a flash player it gets the job done.

Old 02-22-2008, 04:22 AM

4. There are unexpected clicks/noises in WMA playback not too loud but noticable enough to disqualify Zen as WMA player (these files usually play fine on other players). This hasn't been fixed yet. If you use such format, Zen's not a good option.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:18 AM

4. can this issue be fixed with a firmware upgrade? or it's with the hardware?

Old 02-22-2008, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdr View Post
4. There are unexpected clicks/noises in WMA playback not too loud but noticable enough to disqualify Zen as WMA player (these files usually play fine on other players). This hasn't been fixed yet. If you use such format, Zen's not a good option.
Is this on all WMA files including DRM-ones (from someplace like Rhapsody or Napster?)

Is it random or is it a click/noise at certain intervals? How often would you say this happens in an average song (say 4-5 minutes)

Old 03-01-2008, 06:56 PM

Default Looking to get a Zen - questions to clear up some things

Hey - I'm looking to upgrade to the 4GB Zen from a 2GB Sansa, but in researching the player, I'm getting some conflicting information so I'm hoping I can get answers here.

I listen to podcasts (from Itunes) almost exclusively on my player. On my Sansa, I can easily sync Itunes podcasts using Windows Media Player 11 (my OS is Vista Premium). I read somewhere you have to convert Itunes podcasts to the AAC format to put them on the Zen. Is this true? I can't sync them through WMP as I currently do? If I have to convert to AAC, how do I do that and how long does it take?

Second, some things I've read say if you turn it off during a file, it doesn't restart from where you left off when you turn it back on. Is this the case? Since I listen to so many podcasts (some as long as 2 hours), having it resume from where I left off is, pretty much, an essential feature for me to have in an MP3 player.

Thanks.

Old 03-01-2008, 08:03 PM

for the podcasts, it will restart to the original place. well for music, you can set bookmarks. i think up to 20 bookmarks at a time.

as for videos, there aren't any bookmarks, but if you view like a 30 minute episode and you turn the zen off. and turn it back on, and you watch the video, it will continue from where you left off. but if you watch like a different video, then it wont remember the last place you left on in the first video

Old 03-02-2008, 06:41 PM

Do you have to manually set bookmarks? Or does it automatically do that?

Old 03-02-2008, 09:26 PM

for audio, you manually set the bookmarks. just click the option button<bookmarks<select which # to save it as.

Old 03-11-2008, 07:29 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Default Planning to Buy a Zen. Any Suggestions/Hints?

So, I'm planning to buy a Zen. i read about it here and about other players too, and that was perfect choice for me.
So, what do u say people? should i take it? plz give me suggestions.

Thanks A Bunch!

My Last.fm

Old 03-11-2008, 07:36 PM

just make sure you take a took at the sansa view, and the cowan D2. those are all closely the same as the zen and you have to take a look before picking the zen. all of these typically have the same screen size and resolution, except the View has like a .1" smaller screen.

-the D2 i read has better sound quality, integrated SD, and supports more formats. it also has touchscreen, which can be a pro or con itself. the D2 is also a little thicker than the zen, but smaller in lenth/height. if you like touchscreen and plan on using the expandable memory for music, then get this.

-the View is a lot bigger than the zen, but thinner. the view also has integrated SD, except the view only takes micro-sd (huge bummer since they're more expensive). if your looking for something thinner, and sleeker looking with integrated micro-sd, get this.

personally, i chose the zen over these two because its tactile (id prefer it over a 2.5" touch screen), has SD (rather than micro-sd, but the zen's isnt integrated, so id say only use the SD for videos and pictures), looks better (but has sub-par build quality), and the GUI looks better, except the D2, you can create your own 'theme/skin', while the View currently cant, and for the zen, you can change background.

the compare players on the ABI part is great for comparing the specs. of each player.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:26 PM

Another thing to consider: the View has REALLY REALLY BAD REW/FFW function; so if you listen to audiobooks at all, it's not a good choice. I returned my View & am awaiting the arrival of a replacement Zen from Amazon.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:35 PM
Ultra Senior Member

For audiobooks the D2 certainly is the best: instant jump to any location inside a track, due to the touchscreen.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cegabq View Post
Another thing to consider: the View has REALLY REALLY BAD REW/FFW function; so if you listen to audiobooks at all, it's not a good choice. I returned my View & am awaiting the arrival of a replacement Zen from Amazon.
how does the views FF and RW work?

Old 03-12-2008, 06:41 AM

The View has a firmware which was designed for 2GB-players. In my opinion, it can't handle high capacities like 8GB or 16GB. The ZEN is a much much better choice here. It has some decent functions which make it easy and comfortable to browse through all your songs, artists, etc...

Old 03-12-2008, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
For audiobooks the D2 certainly is the best: instant jump to any location inside a track, due to the touchscreen.
With fingers like mine on 2,5" screen jumping wouldn't be too precise

Old 03-12-2008, 11:55 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Thank you for all your replies! Appreciate!

I'm planning to buy the 4GB model and it's enough for all my songs and even more! and i know the un-integrated SD problem but i will the SD only for Videos and stuff (just like u dragnandy )
does the D2 really has a better sound quality? does the Zen have a good sound quality too? and i really don't care about any other formats except MP3, so...
i DO NOT want another SanDisk (even though i like my e250, i just don't want another one!)

My Last.fm

Old 03-12-2008, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.z View Post
Thank you for all your replies! Appreciate!

I'm planning to buy the 4GB model and it's enough for all my songs and even more! and i know the un-integrated SD problem but i will the SD only for Videos and stuff (just like u dragnandy )
does the D2 really has a better sound quality? does the Zen have a good sound quality too? and i really don't care about any other formats except MP3, so...
i DO NOT want another SanDisk (even though i like my e250, i just don't want another one!)
Creatives Sound Quailty and Screen Quality are superb, The User interface is simple and quick to learn,

Others here did not mention the other nice features of the user interface of the Zen such as easy drag and drop loading from Windows Explorer, no software needed. You can transfwer music from Explorer, Windows Media Player 11 or using Creative Zens desktop software.

I do suggest getting a higher capacity player at least 16 GB that smy opinion.

Old 03-12-2008, 12:53 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.z View Post
A good rule of thumb I try to follow is determine which capacity model you will need and then get the one above that. You will find that you will end up using it more then you think.Right now I think the 8Gb is the best buy.

$135 (with shipping) from Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...G/ref=dp_olp_2

Old 03-12-2008, 02:15 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The Zen is better across the board. Cowon has major probs with their firmware (even though they integrate the sd cards everything with the player is touch and go - no pun intended). Yeah, the sound is great and the volume goes very LOUD but the sq of the Zen, IMO is DAMN sweet too. Its not as loud as the D2 but anything that loud is overkill ( unless your gonna' use high-powered cans). They both have a prob w/video sync but once you get it at the right bit rate and size your good to go (D2 firmware did not correct this problem either). Touch screen is a plus actually and the D2 allows you to set the external buttons to control the volume (even when on hold - necessary with the touch screen). The battery life for audio wasn't 52hrs as your gonna' use eq settings BUT it lasts so long a difference of 10-15 hrs with it doesn't really matter & I got over 9hrs on video. ! weird thing about the D2 though, the screen is the same 16.7 mil colors as the creative but it has to be viewed from the top down (normally you would hold your hands in the opposite way to view vids). And side to side ain't that great either. Overall, IMO the Zen is the better of the 2. Its got a few pitfalls but seems to be more well balanced. Also, the D2 maxes out @8gb and gig-for-gig the Zen is the bargain of the pair. Well, hope you make the decision thats best for you and then - ENJOY!!! PS: Check out the forums @iAudiophile.net and you'll read all the things and more (and THEN love your Zen): http://www.iaudiophile.net/news.php

Tags
creative zen, purchase, question, sansa e260