android
Old 03-12-2008, 03:40 PM

D2 is still too expensive for me, if I'd buy a player for that price it had to be perfect and Cowon is still far from it. If you're planning to buy Zen you'll probably need to spend some time to get headphones that suits you most. For example if you're a bass freak don't play with Zen's EQs or options just get EP-630 and you won't be dissapointed. I also think 8GB model might be the best choice for capacity/space ratio.
One more con against View is its 64k colors screen, that's MUCH less than D2's and Zen's 16,7 million displays.
For SD in Zen there's much more problem than just integration of audio files into main library. SD support is totally different story, you get a directory/file browser. The playlist or slideshow contains everything that's in single directory excluding subdirectories. ID3 is just used while playing file to show some info, and you can't use album art. SD support could become much more useful with some quick fixes in the firmware and even without actual integration. It's even better to keep movies on internal memory since it's easier to resume them later.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-12-2008, 03:55 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Again, thanks a lot for helping me!
Don't worry about the capacity, it will suite me very well since I have 2GB on my Sansa and I just need 1GB for my songs...
I already have the EP-630 and they're really great!
So, after doing a little research and seeing your very helpful post, the Zen is definitely my choice!

My Last.fm

Old 03-12-2008, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
For audiobooks the D2 certainly is the best: instant jump to any location inside a track, due to the touchscreen.
Not really, (correct me if I'm wrong) but the d2 does not have bookmarking. Yes you can select any location of a track with the touchscreen, but there is a slim chance, that you remeber the relative position you were in previously. The zen has resume and bookmarking, which makes it better at audiobooks and podcasts (at the very least in my opinion).

For me there were three things limiting me from getting me a D2, and making me get a zen
-The D2 only has up to 4gb, yes you can use sd cards, but I would only like to use that if necessary, if I lose the sd card, I lose most of my storage.
-The D2 is very exspensive for the capacity due to the touchscreen (not worth it for me)
-No bookmarking, I listen to 40% Podcasts 30%Audiobooks, and 30% music, so because the zen had bookmarking, it was the obvious victor over the zen.

The D2 has alot of things going for it (like text viewing, ogg, sound quality and the touchscreen) but at the end of the day, if you aren't an audiophile, or you need large storage the D2 probably isn't worth it for the price cowon is asking. Even if you are an audiophile, there is only a couple of features seperating the D2 from the iaudio7 (better form factor, SD integration, and a bigger screen which is a touchscreen) while you pay more for less storage.

Old 03-12-2008, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apprentice57 View Post
Not really, (correct me if I'm wrong) but the d2 does not have bookmarking.
The D2 does have very good bookmarking capabilities, for both audio and video. I listen to audio books all the time, and no other player I tried comes close in bookmarking- and access/skip/jump-comfort. (Yes, it supports Audible as well.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apprentice57 View Post
The D2 only has up to 4gb
An 8GB version is available.

Old 03-12-2008, 06:08 PM

yea i think i saw an 8gb D2 somewhere. but for A.z, 4gb is plenty since he says he only needs 1gb for music. plus the D2 is more expensive, so you pay extra money for a touchscreen, integrated SD (which A.z says he doesn't need to be integrated, and better sound quality). so i think the zen is good for him.

Old 03-13-2008, 06:29 AM

Yes D2 still has many not so crucial options and lacks a few pretty useful. Not ideal for its price.

Old 03-13-2008, 06:40 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnandy View Post
yea i think i saw an 8gb D2 somewhere. but for A.z, 4gb is plenty since he says he only needs 1gb for music. plus the D2 is more expensive, so you pay extra money for a touchscreen, integrated SD (which A.z says he doesn't need to be integrated, and better sound quality). so i think the zen is good for him.
Oh, dragnandy, u got me completely wrong.
I said that I'm using 3GB for music and 1GB for Videos and stuff...

I have another question, I'm living in Israel as u see, and I like to know if Amazon can send the player to Israel...
And also, does the Zen can read Hebrew tags? it doesn't really a con, but I'd like to know...
Thanks A Lot!

My Last.fm

Old 03-13-2008, 09:44 AM

Unfortunately, I can't see Hebrew as supported language for menus so I doubt it will read tags properly ...

Old 03-13-2008, 03:54 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.z View Post
Oh, dragnandy, u got me completely wrong.
I said that I'm using 3GB for music and 1GB for Videos and stuff...

I have another question, I'm living in Israel as u see, and I like to know if Amazon can send the player to Israel...
And also, does the Zen can read Hebrew tags? it doesn't really a con, but I'd like to know...
Thanks A Lot!
B&H Photo in NYC sells Creative and Cowon mp3 players and ships worldwide.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

Old 03-13-2008, 03:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

But i don't want any Cowon...

My Last.fm

Old 03-13-2008, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdr View Post
Yes D2 still has many not so crucial options and lacks a few pretty useful. Not ideal for its price.
Quite the unfounded blanket statement... but for the sake of the thread I'm not going to ask you about going into detail.

Continue with the Zen discussion, folks.

Old 03-13-2008, 04:31 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.z View Post
But i don't want any Cowon...
B&H sells Creative, Cowon, Sandisk, etc. mp3 players and ships worldwide.

Old 03-13-2008, 04:51 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Can I trust them?
I asked about Amazon because it's a great deal!

My Last.fm

Old 03-13-2008, 05:01 PM
Ultra Senior Member

B&H has one of the highest ratings at resellerratings.com

They are one of the world's largest sellers of professional camera equipment.
http://www.resellerratings.com/store...ideo_Pro_Audio

As far as I know, Amazon's US website does not ship outside the US.

Old 03-14-2008, 05:11 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Price wise the Zen is the best buy as you can get a higher capacity player at a reasonable price. The D2 has many of the features you want but the price per gig is higher. Overall, I had a D2 and felt that the Zen just seemed more complete as a player (even though it needs sd integration and it has a few probs of its own - and no,... the D2 isn't perfect either). as for the Sansa View, if your willing to wait just MAYBE they'll work the bugs out (just don't hold your breath). Between the 3 IMO the Zen has the better feature set at the present and can only improve.

Old 03-14-2008, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
Quite the unfounded blanket statement... but for the sake of the thread I'm not going to ask you about going into detail.
Yes there are some crucial options I expect from perfect DAP (or at least from player at D2 price) like zooming in pictures to 1:1 aspect, support for formatted textfiles, more than 5-band EQ, support for video larger than 320x240 (expecially if the player has TV-Out) ... and a few more.
I don't need support for games, SD integration should be optional, and rds support is great especially to get FM stations names.

If Cowon produces player that meets my wishlist I'll be ready to spend some money on it. For now I'll stay with Zen which is much cheaper and fulfills my expectations no less than D2.

Old 03-14-2008, 06:14 PM

Old 04-06-2008, 06:55 PM

Default Considering a zen, but....

I was considering buying a zen, but after reading some reviews and such, it seems like people are having the same problem. Failures in the product, more specifically the white screen of death or something else. Also some have suggested the problem players are isolated online, and some have said to buy it at a local b&m store. So basically before i jump into the player since it fits what i need and the price is right, is it really that bad?

Old 04-06-2008, 07:12 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Go to the B&M store as you could always return it if you encounter any probs - it's a pretty good player for the price and the sq is DAMN good. Just make sure you go the route of better headphones or buds as the included ones (as you prob already know) really suck!!

Old 04-06-2008, 09:09 PM

I second that.

Tags
creative zen, purchase, question, sansa e260