android
Old 04-06-2008, 10:49 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The latest firmware is pretty stable and the WSOD issue seems to be deteriorating. Since you're talking B&M store, take along some good headphones and an SD card with a few good audio files and check the Zen out. I bet you'll like it.

Zen FAQ

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-07-2008, 08:36 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
The latest firmware is pretty stable and the WSOD issue seems to be deteriorating. Since you're talking B&M store, take along some good headphones and an SD card with a few good audio files and check the Zen out. I bet you'll like it.
Yup Yup - Definitely ON POINT!!!

Old 04-07-2008, 06:57 PM

i think the zen is a great player. i have never ran into any big problems that have not been solved here at ABI. firmware is pretty stable and such. i bought mine in amazon.com though.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:40 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I think that the only people that you mainly see posts from are the ones that have probs (asking for help & thats cool) and most opinions seem to be based on that. But you shouldn't base you final decision on that. Try it out and see if its right for you. Barring the sd card integration issue this is a great player w/really fine sound quality. Compared to most on the market (and I'm DEFINITELY no fanboi) this is miles above the competition. Ipods are ok but this is MUCH better than OK!!!

Not gonna' lie - I'm still infatuated with the overpriced, not satisfactory to me in the sq dept. touch. But I still wouldn't get it because if I put on my headphones and close my eyes - the sound just isn't there for me. With the ZEN it IS!!! And you can't say that about most players - features over performance is the norm nowadays. The ZEN can perform.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:19 PM

Thanks,

That's true, well the the SD card integration wont be a problem since i plan to keep mainly movie on there and music on the actual player. Sound is good, and it seems like the perfect player for me, and is actually cheaper in some respects compared to other players. Also i have heard there is a hack/program i can use to get it to run on a mac?

Old 04-07-2008, 11:23 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yes, via XNJB.

Old 04-08-2008, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenChick View Post
Yes, via XNJB.
With every post it seems more likely i will be purchasing this player. Hopefully by next week i will have this.

Thanks.

Old 04-08-2008, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnandy View Post
i think the zen is a great player. i have never ran into any big problems that have not been solved here at ABI. firmware is pretty stable and such. i bought mine in amazon.com though.
I completely agree; I had a Sansa View & returned it; have had my Zen since mid-March and am very happy so far; got it from Amazon, whose service has been superb.

Old 04-13-2008, 03:07 PM

Well i made the jump and bought one. Wow i love this thing, perfect for what i need. But i did notice something. I was looking through the photos and i noticed the screen was "flickering" while i was going through the photos. What could it be? It is version 1.21.01.

Old 04-13-2008, 04:10 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushipixel View Post
I was looking through the photos and i noticed the screen was "flickering" while i was going through the photos. What could it be? It is version 1.21.01.
Check out his thread.

Zen FAQ

Old 04-13-2008, 09:38 PM

mine blinks too, but not during pictures. just when im browsing through artist or something in the menu. it gets irritating after a while, but im fine with it.

Old 04-14-2008, 12:05 AM

Welcome to the world of Zen. I've got mine almost two months now and I love it today as much as I did when I first got it.

I love to give homemade gifts...which one of the children would you like?

Old 04-14-2008, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich321 View Post
Welcome to the world of Zen. I've got mine almost two months now and I love it today as much as I did when I first got it.
i loved mine even more after i put a BSE skin on it.

Old 04-14-2008, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnandy View Post
i loved mine even more after i put a BSE skin on it.
I love that you told us about BSE!

Old 04-14-2008, 10:11 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I had the screen flicker thing also when browsing pictures - not really a big deal though and I really don't feel its a precursor to the WSOD prob. Its just how the Zen seem to operate. Every one of us, due to all the complaints of others, we now ended up being OVERLY critical of any little anomaly and AUTOMATICALLY think our player is gonna" die!!! The blinking, flickering, no big deal and its just the ZEN modus operandi.

Old 04-14-2008, 11:51 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nywytboy68 View Post
I had the screen flicker thing also when browsing pictures - not really a big deal though and I really don't feel its a precursor to the WSOD prob.
Possible, but until the actual cause of the WSOD is determined, you never know.

Quote:
Its just how the Zen seem to operate. Every one of us, due to all the complaints of others, we now ended up being OVERLY critical of any little anomaly and AUTOMATICALLY think our player is gonna" die!!!
Yeah, I can see this as well and it is understood for the most part. However it may be nothing, but I have a concern in regards to the screen flickering. It's possible that this screen flickering could cause extra stress on the battery by loading the battery with current bursts which (Lithium-Ion batteries) are more receptive to premature voltage cut-off problems. Eventually ending with a useless battery.

Quote:
The blinking, flickering, no big deal and its just the ZEN modus operandi.
Lets just be a little clearer here. This screen flicker seems to be experienced more on smaller versions of the Zen, particularly with the 4Gb version. However, my wife's does not do this flicker at all. My 32Gb doesn't do this at all as well.

Zen FAQ

Old 04-14-2008, 12:36 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Ok, but the Zen I had (sold to my friend) DID have this happen and I really didn't think it was going to be that much of a prob (or at this point - nightmare). I guess you may be 1 of the lucky 1's as most of the people I know who have the ZEN (all 32gigers) have this occur also. Now I'm starting to believe that the entire new zen lineup is faulty and a complete waste of time. Guess I'm not gonna have such a positive attitude towards this lemon any longer. And I just want you to know that this slight diatribe is in no way directed at you - its directed at creative and their crappy marketing and development practices. Now I see why, as time progresses they seem to be just digging a deeper and deeper grave. I've had bad experiences with their players before and believed that this was a great player,..................FINALLY! NOT! This site and all the mods are some cool people - BUT CREATIVE IS JUST KILLIN' ME!!!

Old 04-14-2008, 05:19 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Ok, but the Zen I had (sold to my friend) DID have this happen and I really didn't think it was going to be that much of a prob (or at this point - nightmare).
It still may not be. I don't believe it has caused any major issue for anyone at this point; nightmare?

Quote:
I guess you may be 1 of the lucky 1's as most of the people I know who have the ZEN (all 32gigers) have this occur also.
I haven't heard of anyone having this problem with the 32GB models. All I've seen/hears about are the 4GB and 8GB versions.

Quote:
Now I'm starting to believe that the entire new zen lineup is faulty and a complete waste of time.
Well, mine seem to be just fine.

Quote:
Guess I'm not gonna have such a positive attitude towards this lemon any longer. And I just want you to know that this slight diatribe is in no way directed at you - its directed at creative and their crappy marketing and development practices. Now I see why, as time progresses they seem to be just digging a deeper and deeper grave. I've had bad experiences with their players before and believed that this was a great player,..................FINALLY! NOT! This site and all the mods are some cool people - BUT CREATIVE IS JUST KILLIN' ME!!!
No disrespect taken here. I understand your frustration. I'm sure I would be to if my Zen's were experiencing issues as well. That is to be expected. However, that still doesn't take away from the fact the (working) Zen is a great player. Come on now, I miss you enthusiasm.

Zen FAQ

Old 04-15-2008, 07:44 AM
Ultra Senior Member

BobbyRS - you're KILLIN' ME!!! Gotta show some LUV!!!

Like I said, its people like you that make me enjoy this site so much.

Old 04-15-2008, 08:21 AM

Sorry nywytboy, but I have a 32gb and I don't have the issue either.

I completely understand your frustration though. When my Zune died, I was so frustrated and angry, I most certainly didn't want to hear from everyone else about how perfect theirs was!

Tags
creative zen, purchase, question, sansa e260