android
Old 11-03-2008, 09:19 PM

Default Having a problem accessing files on my Zen

When I plug in my Zen my computer recognizes it fine. The "docked" screen comes up as normal. Yet when the player is accessed in any way by the computer, the screen will go black but it doesn't shut down. The blue led remains on and the screen isn't off..it's just black. This can happen when I use explorer to add/remove files, it happens when I use mediamonkey to add/remove files etc...

The only way out of this is to unplug the player and do a hard restart using a paperclip. I then try using the player's software to scan for currupt files and rebuild the database but the same thing happens as soon as my computer accesses the player.

Can anyone help with this problem?

Just want to add the the Zen had been working properly for months and that I'm running XP

Last edited by LuckyStrike; 11-04-2008 at 10:13 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-04-2008, 03:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hmmm. this one is new... Did you ever get around to trying a new cable from this thread? Does it do this when try a different computer? Have you tried a new USB cable? What version of Windows Media Player is installed?

Zen FAQ

Old 11-04-2008, 06:03 PM

Wow, you remembered the old thread

This is a replacement Zen for the one I was having trouble with before. I haven't tried using a new cord yet as I don't think there is one around here. I am using Windows Media player 11.
I tried using the player on my mother's computer and everything works normaly. I am able to add, remove and play songs off of my Zen. Yet when I try and do the same on my computer the Zen crashes and needs a hard reset.

Old 11-04-2008, 10:08 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyStrike View Post
Wow, you remembered the old thread
Yes, I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyStrike View Post
This is a replacement Zen for the one I was having trouble with before. I haven't tried using a new cord yet as I don't think there is one around here. I am using Windows Media player 11.
I tried using the player on my mother's computer and everything works normaly. I am able to add, remove and play songs off of my Zen. Yet when I try and do the same on my computer the Zen crashes and needs a hard reset.
Ok.... You've verified that the Zen is fine since it works on your mother's computer, so that points to your computer as the cause of the issue. Make sure your only using the USB ports on the back of the computer and not any others on the case or in a USB hub. Make sure you don't have any other USB devices plugged in as well.

Zen FAQ

Old 11-05-2008, 11:14 AM

Yea, I don't use a USB hub and i have switched USB ports and nothing changes. Something on my computer is causing the Zen to crash. I'm thinking maybe it's a corrupt file of some sort but I really have no idea.

Old 11-05-2008, 11:54 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Did you make sure that the Zen is the only USB device plugged in? Have you tried reinstalling WMP11?

Zen FAQ

Old 11-05-2008, 12:03 PM

zen is the only device plugged in besides my mouse/keyboard

i haven't tried reinstalling wmp11..i'll do that now

Old 11-06-2008, 07:54 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Any luck with reinstalling WMP11?

Zen FAQ