android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen Vision:M

Old 11-08-2008, 10:16 PM

Default I'm Stuck in Recovery Mode on my Zen Vision: M, and It won't let me select anything

I own a Zen Vision: M 30GB

Okay, I recently plugged my Zen into an aux cable and the screen went black. It wouldn't turn on or reset. I plugged it in to let it charge overnight. The next morning when I turned it on, it went straight to recovery mode. It lets me scroll up and down the recovery mode list, but it won't let me select anything. I plug it into the computer and it charges, but the computer can't recognize it (because its in recovery mode?). When I reset, it goes straight to recovery mode and won't let me select.
I've let the battery rundown and tried recharging it from nothing. I've uninstalled and reinstalled my computer drivers. I even bought a second harddrive for the player and switched it out. Nothing seems to get me out of the recovery mode screen. It won't even let me switch it off when its in this mode.
I tried contacting Creative before I opened it up, but since I bought it about a year ago, I don't seem to exist to them. The site offers me no help and after searching online I wonder if I'm the only person with this problem.
Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-09-2008, 10:17 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Welcome Spence2115.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence2115 View Post
It lets me scroll up and down the recovery mode list, but it won't let me select anything.
No matter how many times you restart/reset the ZVM, it boots into Recovery Mode and does not let you select anything? Perhaps faulty control board like from this thread.

Quote:
I plug it into the computer and it charges, but the computer can't recognize it (because its in recovery mode?).
The computer should be able to recognize the ZVM even in Recovery Mode. Check Device Manager for the status of the driver loading to verify if it has an error or not.

Quote:
I've let the battery rundown and tried recharging it from nothing.
I would not do this. You may be asking for more problems doing this since Lithium-ion batteries do not like to be severely discharged.

Quote:
I've uninstalled and reinstalled my computer drivers.
How did you go about uninstalling/reinstalling the driver?

Quote:
I even bought a second harddrive for the player and switched it out. Nothing seems to get me out of the recovery mode screen.
Have you done a Format of the new drive and then a Reload of the firmware?

Quote:
It won't even let me switch it off when its in this mode.
Recovery Mode?

Zen FAQ

Old 11-09-2008, 12:39 PM

Default reply

I've found that if I put it in lock, and then reset it that it comes up in normal mode. Still though, it wont let me select anything, I can scroll, but not select. And in the normal mode it won't let me turn it off with the power switch.

[quote=BobbyRS;298513]Welcome Spence2115.

"No matter how many times you restart/reset the ZVM, it boots into Recovery Mode and does not let you select anything? Perhaps faulty control board like from this thread."

How would I go about fixing or changing the control board? And would the faulty control board account for me being able to lock it but not power it off?

"The computer should be able to recognize the ZVM even in Recovery Mode. Check Device Manager for the status of the driver loading to verify if it has an error or not."

When in recovery, it shows under the device manager that it is hooked up under Portable Devices, but that is it.

"I would not do this. You may be asking for more problems doing this since Lithium-ion batteries do not like to be severely discharged."

Noted.

"How did you go about uninstalling/reinstalling the driver?"

Device manager

"Recovery Mode?"
yes

Old 11-09-2008, 04:21 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
How would I go about fixing or changing the control board? And would the faulty control board account for me being able to lock it but not power it off?
By buying a "as-is" ZVM from somewhere like eBay, opening them up, and doing a swap.

Quote:
When in recovery, it shows under the device manager that it is hooked up under Portable Devices, but that is it.
Good, as it should. Does the entry show an error?

Quote:
yes
Then I would most certainly say you have a hardware issue.

Zen FAQ

Old 02-01-2013, 02:06 PM

Hi, I know this was posted some time ago but is there a fix?

Old 02-01-2013, 02:25 PM
Ultra Senior Member

You guys need to get another player,...I wan creative or two as well. I'd recommend moving on,...IMO, YMMV.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:31 AM

Short and to the point, thanks

Tags
mode, problem, recovery, vision m, zen