android
Old 11-09-2008, 06:11 AM

Default Not using Creative Media Manager

Hi Everyone!

What options are there for *not* using Creatives very own Media Manager.

I intensely dislike this software because it literally takes ages to install and then completely mugs up my XP installation.

Atm, I'm using Winamp (5+ w/plugin) for Audio files and are very much satisfied with that solution. It is the Video and Picture section that tends to give me problems.

So is there a Picture Viewer or something that features a portable-device-plugin similar to Winamp-Audio?

And, what video conversion tool would you advice? I know that Zen video requires 320x240 but that's about it.

Any help would be most welcome...

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by ramzahn; 11-09-2008 at 09:10 AM. Reason: typos and stuff

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-09-2008, 10:21 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Welcome ramzahn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzahn View Post
What options are there for *not* using Creatives very own Media Manager.
WMP, MediaMonkey, WinAmp...

Quote:
I intensely dislike this software because it literally takes ages to install and then completely mugs up my XP installation.
Yes, I too believe it is terrible.

Quote:
Atm, I'm using Winamp (5+ w/plugin) for Audio files and are very much satisfied with that solution. It is the Video and Picture section that tends to give me problems.
WMP11 and MediaMonkey are good for managing all media.

Quote:
And, what video conversion tool would you advice? I know that Zen video requires 320x240 but that's about it.
Any Video Converter, Super, Windows Media Encoder, iRiverter.... See the Video Sub-Forum for more information.

You may want to try searching around. Much of this has been discussed to death. You also may want to check out the Zen FAQ.

Zen FAQ

Old 11-09-2008, 10:52 AM

Thank you for taking the time to advise me. I can very well imagine that all that has already been discussed to death.

One thing though is still unclear. MediaMonkey for instance doesn't really enable you to transfer pictures to the Zen. At least I didn't find any such option, which is why I asked if there is some other media manager that might allow for this and especially this functionality.

Again, thank you so far!

Old 11-09-2008, 10:59 AM
Ultra Senior Member

No problem.

Quote:
One thing though is still unclear. MediaMonkey for instance doesn't really enable you to transfer pictures to the Zen. At least I didn't find any such option, which is why I asked if there is some other media manager that might allow for this and especially this functionality.
WMP11 will do pictures, videos, and music.

Zen FAQ

Old 11-09-2008, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Thank you for taking the time to advise me. I can very well imagine that all that has already been discussed to death.

Again, thank you so far!

Hi ramzahn. I am new here myself. Came via an Audio book issue and goodle search

/Wanders off to read LOADS!

As a Creative user I have found windows media player pretty good for nearly everything. It will rip audio better that the Creative software in my opinion. Better tags etc. Also you can set it to grab tags off the net while playing songs which I found to be a huge asset.

Other essential software would be http://www.mp3tag.de/en/ for editing your Albums tags or en masse.

Another cool tool I use for Audio books is Cool Mp3 Splitter http://www.yaosoft.com/ It has a very cool Join feature that I use to join files to make Audio books one big file. It cost $9.95 after the free use period but I found it works like a charm. It may take a few email to them to get your License code though!
If there is a free tool that does the same then go for it. Link me to it too.

I hope my first posts has not broken any rules as I didn't read them yet

Great forums by the way people! I think I may have a nice home here

Old 11-09-2008, 01:57 PM

There is always the easiest method of all for getting pictures on your player: Drag N' Drop

It's good for music and video as well

Old 11-09-2008, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
WMP11 will do pictures, videos, and music.
If that's the case then I will, without much further ado, download this behemoth.

Thank you again for your swift and helpful advice.

Old 11-09-2008, 03:22 PM

Thank you for your pointer concerning WMP. (see above)

I use mp3tag for years and share your opinion about it.

Thanks also for the link to the Joiner-Splitter tool. That might come in handy. (see PM)

I find it interesting that you too are are interested in audio books. Maybe we could share a bit. I always search always good recordings from P.G. Wodehouse and Terry Pratchett. Sadly most of the ones I found 'till now are using this disgusting VBR feature and are very low quality to boot. People seem to think that high quality in speech isn't necessary.

Happy wanderings...

Old 11-09-2008, 03:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by werezenwolf View Post
There is always the easiest method of all for getting pictures on your player: Drag N' Drop

It's good for music and video as well
That would be my preferred method as well.

Quote:
If that's the case then I will, without much further ado, download this behemoth.
Good luck!

Zen FAQ

Old 11-10-2008, 05:52 AM

Quote:

Thanks also for the link to the Joiner-Splitter tool. That might come in handy. (see PM)

I find it interesting that you too are are interested in audio books. Maybe we could share a bit. I always search always good recordings from P.G. Wodehouse and Terry Pratchett. Sadly most of the ones I found 'till now are using this disgusting VBR feature and are very low quality to boot. People seem to think that high quality in speech isn't necessary.

Happy wanderings...
Cheers for the PM. I <3 Audio Books in a big way too. Films for my ears

Obviously like most people the Net is our first port of call. I use creatives own www.audible.co.uk or .com in most people cases. I tend to buy one a month as well as aquiring the odd free one here and there.

What some people ten to overlook is the good old bricks and mortar Local library. I tend to go in and pick up the CD's myself and then rip them for my Zen. @ 192 kbps you will be glad to know This week I got a few Doctor Who and even the New Torchwood.

Or I can just download them. (The have DRM though) Here is a sample from my Dublin (Ireland) Library.

Terry Prachet

If you need anything else feel free to PM me.

Old 11-10-2008, 09:43 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippo View Post
What some people ten to overlook is the good old bricks and mortar Local library. I tend to go in and pick up the CD's myself and then rip them for my Zen.
Yes, many I think do over look this. My local library has a ton. A very good source.

Zen FAQ

Old 11-10-2008, 12:56 PM

Thank you for the Pratchett link!

My problem is that I am German and also situated in Germany. So at my library the english *resources* are somewhat limited and rather tend to be grams than tons. But the internet is a great help.

A few years ago I bought a CD from "Alien Voices", a project between Leonard Nimoy and John de Lancie (Spok and Q). Great stuff!

So long.

Old 11-10-2008, 01:55 PM
Ultra Senior Member

ramzahn: You're English is great, by the way.

Zen FAQ

Old 11-11-2008, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
ramzahn: You're English is great, by the way.
Heh, Thanks.

It is your forum that is great. Great help.

Old 11-11-2008, 05:08 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Thank you. Be sure to tell this guy.

Zen FAQ