android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Insignia > Insignia Pilot

Old 11-11-2008, 12:59 PM

Default Be careful with the Pilot; the screen is very sensitive.

I dropped the Insignia Pilot yesterday, when walking into my apartment after going out for a run. The drop was from barely a two foot height to a tiled floor. It shouldn't have damaged the player that much, if at all. Yet, a quarter of the screen has gliched: a portion of the screen is black and green and red lines also run across the entire screen. It still plays audio, but viewing video on this is kaput.
Just a warning to all; the build of materials on this player is sub-par so be careful with it. Any small drop will damage the Pilot.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-11-2008, 06:26 PM

Default bad luck..

Sounds like it might have been one of those lightning stike situations. I have three pilots and have dropped at least two of them several times each on various surfaces with no damage. The Pilot isn't quite up there with Cowon and Apple in terms of polish but they've proven to be more durable than any Apple player I've owned and far more functional. In other words, I feel your pain but the Pilot is in the ball park with any other similar player in terms of durability. Too bad it seems to be the end of the line for the Pilot. Best Buy's website seems to be letting all Insignia dap stock dwindle down to nothing. Last time I looked, there were only three Insignia mp3 left players on their site.

Old 11-12-2008, 05:35 AM

I have mine in a silicone case and put that inside of a UV3 neoprene, slightly rigid eyeglass case. I could throw it on the floor and nothing happens. Ounce of prevention...pound of cure.

Old 11-12-2008, 03:52 PM

Mine is in a neoprene case/sleeve too. I've dropped it a few times without any problems. However, I can't say I'm shocked at the outcome you experienced from dropping an unprotected device like that on a tile floor from two feet or so. Sorry about your player.

Old 11-12-2008, 05:33 PM

Mine started doing that a while ago. I've never dropped it, and it's always been inside its case. Does anybody know how to fix the screen themselves?

Old 11-16-2008, 11:50 AM

I have mine in the silicone case too and after a minor impact my screen is now kaput too. It is perfectly divided down the middle, the left is horizontal bars of different shades of grey and the right is mostly blue and barely readable.

Old 11-29-2008, 05:19 PM

Just an update - I brought mine back to Best Buy today and they offered a store credit for the purchase price of $150. I didn't even have the recipt but they looked up the purchase and printed one for me! They had a couple 4 gb pilots left for $75.00 but I think I'm going to get something of a higher quality.