android
Old 11-12-2008, 01:21 AM

Default Ebook reading on Spinn?

How is ebook reading on the iriver spinn? I know that it has the function, but many other mp4 players do; only thing is most of the time its never feasible. Txt support is good enough, what matters are the other things, such as:

1-Is there bookmarking?
2-How do you turn a page (i assume by using the spin thingy)
3-can you change the text colour and the background? (one mp4 player i had had a background which couldn't be changed and wouldn't allow me to read books on it)
4-Overall, is it possible to read comfortably on the iriver spinn?

I'm thinking about either getting an ipod touch or iriver spinn. I really like the look of spinn, but if it cant read books properly then ill go for an ipod touch. ~~!!~~

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-30-2008, 02:05 PM

Default And in bright daylight...

I'd like to expand on the question the OP posed. Can this new wonderful AMOLED screen be seen in bright daylight, using the text reader?

Old 12-14-2008, 04:04 PM

Don't think it supports reading anything other than TEXT/ASCII .. is that correct?

Are there any apps that allow reading other formats?

Old 12-28-2008, 09:15 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The text app just supports TXT files. You can change font sizes (sm,med,lg). No color/background options. You can view text vertical or horizontal, depending on how you've oriented the UI. You can turn off icons to view text full-screen with no obstructions. There is no bookmark option, but the SPINN remembers where you were when you reopen the file. I haven't tried the SPINN in bright sunlight, but text is easy enough to read indoors. The lack of color/background choices makes it not as good an app as that on the P2 or even the Cowon S9.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:09 AM

I like the text app and reading ebooks (txt-format) on that fantastic screen is amazing. There is one thing that really bothers me though and that is, it will just cut a long word at the end of a line and show the rest of the word in the next line. No proper hyphenation and you can't set it to leave complete words. Firmware 2.10 that is. Also I am not sure what the language selection in the text app is supposed to do?

Old 07-31-2009, 08:40 PM

A workaround I am now using is manually reformatting my texts with notepad++. You have to go to TextFX->TextFX Edit->ReWrap Text. A line width of 44 characters is fitting for medium font in landscape mode.
Another way of reading eBooks is of course saving the pages as single jpg files and using the picture viewer, or you can create a flash file from a pdf and run it on the SPINN (only for smaller files up to around 1MB)
Anyways, I like the text app best. Still not sure about the language selection option though.