android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Samsung > Samsung P3

View Poll Results: Are you going to buy a P3?
Yes, Looks fantastic! 22 22.45%
No, I think ill stick with what i have. 28 28.57%
Maybe, Ill have to wait till abi reviews it. 48 48.98%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-12-2008, 12:45 PM
ABI Founder

Default Are you going upgrade to a P3?

So, show of hands. Who is going to buy a P3?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-12-2008, 01:08 PM

Not if they cripple the EQ under BT like the P2. We'll see. Let's get the higher capacity one stateside when the rest of the world gets it. Otherwise, no sale.

Old 11-12-2008, 01:54 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The general design of it has sort of got me intrested, but I'll need to see abit more info on the final product to make a verdict. Seems kinda "Avarage" to me atm, although Widgets seem cool, but really how usefull are they ever going to be? Unless they add a full blown day planner with that calendar, or other pda/smartphone like features.

Old 11-12-2008, 02:21 PM

Depends on what else is revealed, but I honestly don't see it trumping the S9 when it comes out, the latter definitely having my college funds held hostage until released.

Old 11-12-2008, 02:54 PM

Shallow as it may be, I happen to like the design of the P3 much more than the S9. Although recently i've purchased a Sony player and I don't know if this one has enough to entice me. We'll see when it's out.

Old 11-12-2008, 03:48 PM

No, doesn't look better. Simple addition of widgets is not enough for the new purchase. No other improvements. No screen enhancement and haptic isn't enough for the new purchase either. P3 plays for too little.
Why would they add a border around the screen?
Yes, they dropped the status indicator, but didn't remove the space, and instead added a border, makes it seem like a copycat.

Old 11-12-2008, 04:04 PM

At this point No, i wont. There is really no real advancement from the p2 that we know of beside the haptic feedback and that is not enough to "upgrade" to the p3. I agree with Jack4L it does seem "average".

The new design seems to be waaayyy more sturdy than the old tho. Like how i dropped my p2 and the screen started to come off one side cause of how the top part kinda curves around the side, which makes it easily to break and let things get inside, like water and dirt.

Im waiting on info about the p4.

Old 11-12-2008, 04:24 PM

Kinda disappointing. Man I was really expecting that it would at least have internet browsing. I probably won't even get this. God this, this is not even on the same level as the itouch when it comes to apps and what-not. Unless of course samsung can include internet browsing before CES 2009, which of course they can.

Old 11-12-2008, 04:24 PM

Thumb Down No flac no deal

One thing is for sure. I've waited patiently for FLAC support on the P2 and still no support. Other players are being given FLAC support but the P2? Nope, NO WAY. Note to self........ DO NOT GET AN MP3 PLAYER WITHOUT FLAC SUPPORT. Are you listening Samsung? I thought you were but I was wrong.

Old 11-12-2008, 04:42 PM

Well it's interesting you mention flac because the homepage says "It also ships with some of the enhancement the P2 got rhough firmware updates including support for both Vorbis and FLAC." When did the p2 get flac?

Old 11-12-2008, 04:50 PM

It looks uglier. I don't like the border. The P2 looks much cleaner.

Old 11-12-2008, 04:55 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I like the look, but I'm curious to see if the SQ is as good (or better) than my D2, A829, or as clean as my Zune 120. Then, and only then, would I consider it a viable option.

Old 11-12-2008, 05:22 PM

I seriously doubt that it will be better than the D2... also the A829 .... not sure about the Zune120. Equal or close to the sound quality of the Sony would be a "grab it now" reaction for me.

Old 11-12-2008, 05:29 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The A829, IMO, is slightly better in SQ than the D2. Especially since I've changed the Bass & Treble in the settings menu. If the P3 can compete w/the Sony, it's good to go.

Old 11-12-2008, 06:49 PM

As the very happy owner of two 8gb and one 16gb Samsung P2 PMP units, I can honestly say that I'll be 1st in line to pick up a P3 32gb the second it hits the market...

WooHoo!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DaHarder's P2 Family.jpg (67.5 KB, 68 views)

Old 11-12-2008, 06:56 PM

DS... I still have the Sony A728 and it's been a great listening experience. Some problems with it accepting sound files and problems with videos, but great sound! Surprised that you say it's better in SQ than the D2. I thought D2 was pinnacle although I haven't heard it.
I hope the P3 does come close, the P2 doesn't, but what a great screen, FM, recording quality and form factor... it will always be a winner! If they get the sound output cranked up it will be a no-brainer buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
The A829, IMO, is slightly better in SQ than the D2. Especially since I've changed the Bass & Treble in the settings menu. If the P3 can compete w/the Sony, it's good to go.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:33 PM

Just to chime in here...

Having owned all three of the PMP/DAP units mentioned for quite some time, I took a few minutes to compare them using the same tracks (Eq set flat), with (arguably) two sets of the finest canalphones currently available (Shure SE530 and UE Super.Fi 5pro), and find the ranking to be as follows:

1st Sony... 2nd Samsung... 3rd Cowon.

I certainly understand those who appreciate the sound quality of Cowon's D2, but I agree that the Sony's do appeal to my sonic taste far more, as does the Samsung P2.

Cowon players tend to lean towards rather harsh treble reproduction and a somewhat digital/cold/analytical/artificial sound IMO.

I sure hope Samsung retains much of the P2's sound signature in the P3...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DaHarder's P2 D2 and Sony.jpg (46.4 KB, 40 views)

Old 11-12-2008, 07:41 PM

Thumb Down No flac no deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music! View Post
Well it's interesting you mention flac because the homepage says "It also ships with some of the enhancement the P2 got rhough firmware updates including support for both Vorbis and FLAC." When did the p2 get flac?
It didn't as far as I know. At least it didn't in the US. Good point. Just one more reason for me to say....PASS

Old 11-12-2008, 07:53 PM

Here are a few more pics...

http://translate.google.com/translat...&sl=auto&tl=en

Old 11-12-2008, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgh1969pa View Post
Not if they cripple the EQ under BT like the P2. We'll see. Let's get the higher capacity one stateside when the rest of the world gets it. Otherwise, no sale.
Agree with that...

Right now, I'm not seeing any compelling reason to take this over the P2.
Yes, the metal casing is nice, but overall my question is.. Where's the beef?

May be an evolution of the P2 in essence.. but the P3 doesn't seem to offer enough "added-value" to entice the masses...

Tags
p3, samsung