android
Old 11-12-2008, 01:55 PM

Default Anything out there similar to the ipod touch??

Hi, first time poster here. Great site btw.
Aside from the price of the ipod touch what else do you guys dislike or rather i should say hate about it? Or is it the Apple brand that everyone's hating on?
The reason i'm asking is because i've been searching for about a week now for something that can do similar things as the ipod touch and which looks as good. Unfortunately i've been unsuccessful, so far.

See, i don't want to carry both my pda and mp3 player with me everywhere i go. I figure that once i get an itouch i can jailbreak it and install different apps which such as a calendar, to-do lists, etc. Another option is to get the iphone, but i'm not on a plan and i ain't gonna fork over $800+ for it.

If anyone knows of another player which will allow me to do all that, please let me know. I'm hesitant at spending that much for the itouch.
Thanks

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-12-2008, 02:09 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I personaly dont hate the iTouch, I just dont think its a very good MP3 player. As a gadget I think its pretty neat. The gaming aspect I'm sorta undecided about, as the games dont really seem to be all that intresting, but a good game could very well be designed for it... Still not going to buy it for that reason alone.

Well you could get an internet tablet like a Nokia N800/N810 or somthing similar, they sound just as good as an iTouch anyway, but are far more open ended in there approach to content and usability due to the Linux operating system they use. Also If you use a Palm device, the n800 can pretty much do anything the palm can, as I think someone made a program that works just like the Palm OS. Atleast thats what i've heard, dont have any personal experiance with palm os.

Old 11-13-2008, 11:02 AM

Thanks for the feedback.
I've actually looked at few other pdas and hand held devices such as the asus a626 and a few nokias including the 810. I seriously considered buying either an asus a626 or a nokia 810. The asus a626 especially because of its looks.

However both of these units will cost me at least $400 whereas the ipod touch 16gb is more than $100 cheaper and much better looking. As for the nokia 800, its too bulky and overall i don't like how it looks.

I came across another unit made by a chinese company called the Newman m-touch. So far from what i've read, it seems to be a nice device. Has anyone on this forum heard about this device? Anyone own one?

Old 11-13-2008, 12:39 PM

you could also give the archos 5 a good look. its a brilliant machine don't know if you think it's too big.

Old 11-13-2008, 02:23 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Just rememberd there is the Sony Mylo 2... Theres been some coverage on that after CES 2008. The origional Myly didn't make that big a splash when it was released, though Enzo Jenn Lee did a review on it for ABi and seemed to like it, but the origional Mylo has nothing on the iTouch these days. The Mylo 2 seems more capapble, like a locked platform N810, but still capable. Theres news that it would go on sale for $299, but if that doesn't come with a memory card or in built memory, the cost would go up quite abit to compete with the touch. Then again the Touch doesn't have a screen with a resolution of 800x400, or a slider keyboard.

Last edited by Jack4L; 11-13-2008 at 02:36 PM.

Old 11-14-2008, 03:43 PM

Thanks for the replies.
I took a look at the mylo 2. Overall it's a very good device and i like the fact that it uses windows. It looks pretty good as well but it's very thick. It's about 2X as thick as the n810 and much thicker than an itouch. It's about the same price as the ipod touch but i'd have to spend extra money for memory. Also, it didn't get good reviews on amazon and many other websites.

As for the archos 5, it's a very nice device. It looks terrific, has a beautiful screen and a big hard drive. A few complaints that i have are: it has a hard drive instead of flash (wish they would offer a smaller and cheaper unit with 32 gig memory), the battery i've heard is pretty shitty, and you have to pay to activate some features, not as many apps have been created for it as the ipod touch.

If the archo5' battery was better and it used flash, i'd get it in a heartbeat.