android
Old 11-14-2008, 08:38 PM

Unhappy help with drying out X-Fi

basically what the title say.
My X-Fi fell out of my pocket and into a puddle during a storm today. The opposite side where the USB port is got the worst of it. I have the official skin case and a screen protector on. After it happened, I wiped it off it was still playing as normal. A few hours later when I turn it on, the play button isn't responding and the top middle button seems to have a mind of it's own. Can this player be dried out? Any tips?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-14-2008, 11:00 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Just let it sit for a day or two to dry out before trying to power it on again. In the mean time, hope there isn't any permanent damage due to having the power on when it happened or when powered on again before it dried out completely. Taking a hair dryer to the Zen or even putting it in a Ziploc bag with some rice may help speed of the dry time. Good luck!

Zen FAQ

Old 11-15-2008, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
Just let it sit for a day or two to dry out before trying to power it on again. In the mean time, hope there isn't any permanent damage due to having the power on when it happened or when powered on again before it dried out completely. Taking a hair dryer to the Zen or even putting it in a Ziploc bag with some rice may help speed of the dry time. Good luck!
Thanks for the advice. After reading like 40 pages of electronic books this evening, I was able to dry out the player by putting it in a towel by an air vent for a couple of hours. The buttons were still acting weird so after reading more and dissecting the firmware, I re-flashed the current firmware on my player and it's back to normal. The firmware has mapping for the buttons so I guess the water messed that up or something.

Old 11-15-2008, 08:18 AM
Ultra Senior Member

No problem. Good to hear it is working correctly again.

Zen FAQ

Old 10-22-2009, 04:35 AM

I had similar problem, where my X-Fi sitting in a belt holster decided to try commit suicide by jumping into a 5-gallon bucket of grey water (thinset rinse water from tile work, for the curious). Got it out as fast as I could find it, and it was actually still playing when recovered, but quit almost immediately thereafter. I disassembled, dried everything out, and before putting it back together, was disheartened when discovering that it won't power on . . . until discovering that it *will* power on from an AC source. The battery even shows the charge it had when it got dunked when powering on in this fashion, but it simply will not power on from the battery alone.

Anyone know of a source for a replacement battery? The Vision:M was much easier to find, since it had a modular battery connector, but the X-Fi's appears to be soldered in ... which I don't have much of a problem with, except for the pesky part about actually finding a replacement. (Of course, if someone has some brilliant suggestion that I'm missing on why the Li-Poly battery included currently isn't working, I'm all ears ...)

thanks kindly