android
Old 11-17-2008, 02:48 PM

Default A3 or O2 I can't decide

should I buy an A3 or an O2? please leave ur opinion I have no idea

I have read a number of reviews on the A3, and as many are out there for the O2. I still can't decide which is best for me. Recently my creative Zen vision m broke and I need a replacement(obviously both are a massave upgrade). Luckily I purchased a replacement warranty, so I will receive a check for the replacement amt($250). Since I have the check price is not of great importance. My main uses are for movie viewing mostly tvout, and music(not so much on the go). I would not consider myself to have advanced knowledge in this dept., but I pick up pretty fast. (alltough feel free to call me an idiot if the following questions are stupid).

Concerns about the A3

1. do most people get used to the 5-way toggle switch after awhile?
2. Have most of the tv out issues been corrected through firmware updates?
3. I'm confused about browsing for music. can I search by artist or is it folder by folder?

I am patienly waiting for the 02 review on this site, but I am going through extreme withdrawl. I have researched many players(not just cowon, but i seem to like them the best), and can't make a decision. I don't need to be able to pick the player up and know how to do everything immediatly. I have no problem taking a little while to get used to the player. I mostly need tv out with a lot of codec support, and sufficient space so i can keep a lot of music stored. The 60 gig offering for the A3 tempts me, unless using an 02 with the card expansion slot is easy.

As you can probably tell I am all over the place and don't really know what to do. If anyone has more hands on use with the A3 and can give me any more tips that are not discussed in the review that would be great. Most of the reviews were done along time ago so I would assume some things have improved. Which is my main concern about the O2. How long will we have to wait untill the product reaches full capability.

Also if u feel neither of these players are for me feel free to reccomend something else. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks so much

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-17-2008, 04:45 PM

first and foremost what is your time frame on purchasing a new player, second what kind of budget are you looking at, did you want an 80gb a3 32gb o2 or what. Have you considered the great alternative to both being the q5w in the cowon line, which has undergone a massive price decrease, to about 350 bucks for the 40 gig with gps dock, or 430 for the 80gig with gps.

As for the joystick on the A3, its ok it can be a bit annoying at times, but after youve used it for a couple days you get used to it pretty quick or at least i did on mine.
Only other problem i have with my A3 is that for some longer videos audio slowly desyncs as it plays. I could re encode the files to fix that but its a pain on a 2 hour movie to do that. Also not much success with H264 files here. I get mixed between scrambled image and then flashes back to perfectly clear for a moment or two with delayed sound and then back to scrambled. The tv out works just fine on mine although i have to say i personally feel creatives tv out capabilities were much nicer in that i didnt have to tinker with the settings to make it display properly.

Time frame matters because 1 or 2 more firmware upgrades may make the O2 an amazing selection, however if its within a week or 2 your not likely to see any leaps and bounds made, as many have already voiced, sadly firmware for cowon products on initial release is basically beta firmware, and mediocre at best. Sometimes the problems are addressed quickly and corrected, other times not at all.
Cowon A3 30g (working just fine)
Cowon O2 32gb /w 8gb SD Card(brand new hooray)

Old 11-17-2008, 06:29 PM

I would like to make a purchase within the next couple of weeks. I could wait longer, but I am going through extreme withdrawl since my zen broke. Price range is $300-350, as far as the hard drive space my zen was only 30gb. So I was looking at the A3 60GB or the O2 32GB. The main reason i'm going against the Q5W is the size and weight(many of the reviews i read said it is quite bulky). The H264 and 720p tv out is not the biggest deal for me(although it would be nice to have). I think I like the O2 better but I don't want to buy it blind. According to the preview the tv out doesn't even work yet. The tv out is very important to me. Should i buy the O2 and hope they work everything out eventually, wait, or go ahead and buy the A3. Any idea about how long it took to work the kinks out of the A3.

Old 11-17-2008, 09:33 PM

the a3 isnt much smaller then the Q5 you can look up the dimensions on the cowon site but its a 5inch touch screen vs 4inch non touch, one runs on windows ce and has expandable storage because you can use USB sticks on it, i believe it also has plenty of space if you were ballsy to run a 2 platter drive instead of a single platter(its a little bit thicker) if you wanted to upgrade space, but you can use usb sticks so it doesnt really matter.
It also has wifi bluetooth and is a gps thing. As far as bang for your buck ide be leaning towards q5 possibly over the a3 since they arent to much difference in prince any longer.

As far as the O2 goes if you really want it ide wait at least another month and see if they release another firmware update to see if any more of the bugs are fixed or the codec supports are fixed. Also the touch screen is supposedly a bit laggy on it atm. So i personally would either wait a bit or decide between an a3 and the q5 take a look at their specs dimensions and bang for your buck. and make a decision for yourself. Maybe read some reviews on how others like the GUI on each

Old 11-18-2008, 12:05 AM

thanks a lot, this information helps

Old 11-18-2008, 10:09 AM

yea the biggest reason ide think of possibly wanting the o2 is battery life, my battery life is zero on my a3 im going to be sending it back to them and complaining again, i had an HDD failure and sent it to them it came back with non functioning speakers and i get maybe 2 hours of audio battery life before it dies

Old 11-18-2008, 12:59 PM

My A3 is fine. The screen is very excellent for video watching. That's about the strongest points over O2 atm.

Old 11-18-2008, 01:21 PM

I went from the q5w to the A3, mainly because of the A3's ability to record video directly to it. The q5w is nice, but the novelity wore off of the wifi and the fact that the q5w did not support my 6500 aac music files which the A3 does without having to use the additional software that I purchased in order to get the q5w to do what the A3 does naturally. I did miss the bluetooth, but I solved that problem by adding the Jabra a120s bluetooth music adapter.

Old 11-18-2008, 05:07 PM

yea my biggest reason for leaning towards q5 is usb port to slap memory sticks in with movies on them.

Im looking to grab me the 80gig q5 with gps dock for 430

Old 11-21-2008, 02:50 PM

I must admit that I have been thinking about getting an O2 as well, but with Christmas just around the corner I'm going to wait until after the first of the year.

Old 11-21-2008, 04:07 PM

I got the O2 and have had it a week now. Got the 32GB black version, and had a 16gb SDHC Class 6 card arrive today for additional space (mainly for video expansion).

Having never used the A3 I can't compare but I had been going back and forth on getting a device with a larger hard drive or solid state, as having space to carry files would be nice. Overall I'm happy I went with the 32gb solid state personally.

Firmware definitely has some gaps and video format support isn't 100% (although still very good and better than anything I've owned before). I do what transcoding I need with mediacoder.

Audio quality is very good, the adjustable EQ is nice for music playback as well. Browsing files would be nicer with ID3 tag support in the browser (track name, album name and track art do appear on the music playback screen) and it would be nice if it would sort files by tag data. I've had to rename all files to have track name first so that I may listen to an album in the correct order. A nuisance, but manageable since I won't be changing what's loaded on to the device, only adding to it.

The D2 apparently had gesture support when browsing files, that would be a much nicer way to surf than what the O2 currently does.

Still, for the capacity, format support, sound quality, screen size (and quality, it does look good and the lower res is fine with me and for transcoded files means they'll take up less space) and everything else I'm happy with it. I've never owned a media player without various quirks, and while this one has some of the strangest it also does a lot more in terms of playback capabilities than any device I've owned. Others have had FM tuners, or optical in and out and recording capabilities, but this beats them both (iRiver Clix and iHP-120) on playback versatility.

Since the A3 and O2 largely seem quite similar on capabilities I suppose some of the big differences are capacity and flash vs HD, and whether you're OK with the slightly larger but considerably lower resolution screen which does trade off with a pretty significant change in battery life.

Old 11-30-2008, 10:05 PM

I am about to order the O2 (although I may still change my mind, lol). I am also looking for a companion audio player.

Size: O2 is smaller and lighter. This is a big deal since O2 itself is borderline pocketable
SDHC card (I can own a few and swap between the two players)
Battery: O2 has longer battery life and charges faster
Screen: A3 has a higher resolution, O2 has a marginally (7%) larger screen
HDD Price-wise A3 80GB approx = O2 32 GB
oops factor: flash is more resistant
normal wear and tear: O2 wins
User interface: that metal joystick on the A3 worries me

80 gb is attractive
32 GB SD cards will come down in price and O2 should be able to take advantage of this
screen: At 4"I don't think A3's resolution makes much of a difference. High resolution youtube videos of O2 showed a very pleasing picture.
recording capacity: I have a capture card and I don't remember when I last used it
radio: my companion player will likely have that. I'll rarely use it.

Old 12-01-2008, 12:31 PM

Well, I just could not wait any longer to order a O2 especially after getting 10% off with a eBay coupon as well as 75.00 off from live.com. It should be here this week.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:25 AM
Contributing Editor

I think you made the right choice. I too was deciding between the 3(O2,A3,Q5) AND ALSO ARCHOS 5. I went with the o2. The q5 has had a terrible time with the owners, check iaudiophile.net. Everything from the usual bugs to getting maybe 2 hours battery life from audio. Wi fi is not very good. a3 just seems a little archaic now with the look of the new players, the joystick and battery life are also weak. Archos just did not have a good feeliing with having to buy all the extras, audio volume was just basically muted by archos in an update, small album art on 5 inch display, and a terribly cheap finish on the paint with the player. I went with the o2 because the things it does it does very well. Its brand new, so Cowon should fix some bugs, but the display with the audio is beautiful, audio crisp, video is solid and going to get better, and with sd expansion, the future is endless!! O2 all the way!!

Old 12-23-2008, 08:56 AM

with the latest FW, my A3 is getting pretty nice Battery life on vids...